Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

K3 & Lightroom Make & Model Naming

I was looking at some of my pictures in Lightroom and noticed that the ones I took with my traded in K5II showed Pentax as the make and model, while the ones I shot with my new K3 showed Ricoh as the make and Pentax K3 as the model. So Pentax is not a "Make" anymore, just a "Model." Sort of like saying Fiat is the Make and Ferrari is a Model. Ferrari (along with Maserati and Alfa-Romeo) are Makes owned by Fiat, not Fiat models. The 500 is a Fiat model. Pentax is a Make owned by Ricoh, not a Ricoh Model.

07-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The exif data is configured by the camera manufacturer, so Ricoh did that, not Lightroom. if LR is reading it wrong, it could also explain the problem.
I suspect it is a Ricoh intentional thing though.
07-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I know that it is Ricoh's doing, not LR's. I'm just not thrilled about it. Just "venting" about what Ricoh is doing to the Pentax brand.

Last edited by markf; 07-16-2014 at 02:33 PM.
07-16-2014, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The exif data is configured by the camera manufacturer, so Ricoh did that, not Lightroom. if LR is reading it wrong, it could also explain the problem.
I suspect it is a Ricoh intentional thing though.
There is nothing really for LR to read wrong. The exif reads:
  • Camera Make {0x010F} = "Ricoh IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
  • Camera Model {0x0110} = Pentax K-3"

These are character fields, so no interpretation is involved.

Steve

---------- Post added 07-16-14 at 02:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by markf Quote
I know that it is Ricoh's doing, not LR's. I'm just not thrilled about it. Just "venting" about what Ricoh is doing to the Pentax brand.
Then we have a thread made just for you!!!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/239325-why-i-wont-buy-k3.html

Be sure and read all 9400+ posts before adding your comments, though. There will be a test at the end.

Steve

BTW...the exif tags are old, old, old news...

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-16-2014 at 02:37 PM.
07-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

In a sense is normal. Ricoh is the parent company. But Pentax is (now) a brand of Ricoh, and Pentax K-3 is a model of this brand.

Regarding this situation, I was a little surprised to see that the latest model, XG-1, a bridge camera is named Pentax, and not Ricoh, comparing to the last year, when we saw a real offensive of Ricoh name all over the place, on K-3 back, and in exposition and store booth. I even look in all this camera's pictures to see if the name Ricoh is placed somewhere. Nothing. It seems that Ricoh is understanding the situation on photo market (finally) and act wisely.
07-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A rose by any other name.... As long as it isn't Canon or Nikon. :-)
07-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
In a sense is normal. Ricoh is the parent company. But Pentax is (now) a brand of Ricoh, and Pentax K-3 is a model of this brand.

Regarding this situation, I was a little surprised to see that the latest model, XG-1, a bridge camera is named Pentax, and not Ricoh, comparing to the last year, when we saw a real offensive of Ricoh name all over the place, on K-3 back, and in exposition and store booth. I even look in all this camera's pictures to see if the name Ricoh is placed somewhere. Nothing. It seems that Ricoh is understanding the situation on photo market (finally) and act wisely.
Perhaps they will change it on the next K-3 firmware version? (Let's start a new rumor/cause!!!)

Steve