Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Don't see the point in ruining your display every day on the off chance you may scratch 1 in 10,000 outings.!
What type of screen protector have you been looking at? Never saw serious degradation in display quality. The display is hardly a true representation of the image to begin with, so better to replace a few dollar protector once in a while rather than have your screen so abraded that you have to send in to have it professionally replaced.

FYI, Look into repair times lately with CRIS regarding backordered items... It is unlike that they stock the rear LCD, so you're looking at upwards of two, three or more months for repairs that need Pentax parts.

If you have the option of living in a glass house and your gear never shows wear & tear, more power to ya.
But if you get out where the possibility exists to expose your equipment to more than just air and a velvet bag... a screen protector is a far cry from the alternative.

07-18-2014, 02:36 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Would jeweler's rouge substitute for toothpaste? Truly, it had never occurred to me to polish out the scratches. I would be afraid of just making things worse.

Steve
Yes, as will Brasso, (brass and copper cleaner) most car polishes or any other fine grade polish.
07-19-2014, 01:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
What type of screen protector have you been looking at? Never saw serious degradation in display quality. The display is hardly a true representation of the image to begin with, so better to replace a few dollar protector once in a while rather than have your screen so abraded that you have to send in to have it professionally replaced.
The sort of lcd damage that will require 'service' no protector in use today will aviod, At best they protect against mild sctratches which are incredibly rare

I use unprotected , watch, pda , phone , laptop ,camera all avout 12 devices in constant use the eldest not a watch is the hp200lx circa 20 years old.!!

None not one has the slightest scratch in the face of this any degragation is not exceptable however minor.

The argument is the same as UV filter use and is always a personal chioce based on your own enviroment and care factors, I'm naturally aware of risks so when I put a coat on with a metal zip I tuck my camera underneath without consious effort.

The question I supose is how many times have you had to replace your two bit protectors because they were so badly abraded ?? everyone I know who uses them has never replaced it over the life of the device so my point 'a lifetime of degraded performance against a major risk that doesn;t exist is valid.

My cheap casio that I wear for everything in water out water welding etc shows some serious damage but the display barely has minor scratches though the chromed metal case is seriously worn/damaged.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by awaldram; 07-19-2014 at 01:42 AM.
07-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
The sort of lcd damage that will require 'service' no protector in use today will aviod, At best they protect against mild sctratches which are incredibly rare
Not referring to damage... referring to the degrading of the display.

Never saw a screen protector degrade the screen to the extent that it warranted not using one.
Unlike UV filters which under some situation have very obvious effects.
Not really comparing equivalent situations.

Additionally, if that LCD screen breaks, glass will likely fall all over everything and risk cutting your face and fingers if you continue to use the camera. A screen protector will help hold all of that together and maybe even help prevent it from damaging the LCD beneath. It might even continue protecting against dust and moisture for a while.
Again, the UV filter does none of these. Cases have even reported broken UV filters to have scratched the front element whereas the impacting object may not have caused any damage without the filter.
So, again, not a one to one comparison.

Anyway, as has been said. Personal choice. Whatever you're comfortable with.

For my environment, its well worth it with no apparent risk factors for doing so.

10-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yes, as will Brasso, (brass and copper cleaner) most car polishes or any other fine grade polish.
Polishing scratches out of GLASS? Not plastic... Wasn't aware that that worked.

In any case, it depends on the screen protector. My K-5 screen got scratched very easily (much more so than my *istDS, which never had a screen protector... and didn't get many scratches), but that's because of it using plastic rather than glass to protect the screen. I've used soft plastic protectors before on my phones, and my K-5 is covered by a (now badly scratched...) screen protector made from hard plastic. Basically... avoid plastic. They degrade image quality. However my phone now has a tempered glass screen protector, and you couldn't tell the difference from not having a protector. Just that if the phone drops, it's the protector that might crack, not the screen itself (which would be very expensive to repair). Also, as it is glass it won't scratch easily, unlike those plastic protectors, so it will really look like new, all the time. In the unlikely event of it getting scratched... replace the screen protector, or simply remove it.

The big problem is that the K-3 has a recessed screen. The glass sheet must be making direct and full contact with the glass covering the screen in order to be not noticeable... and good luck finding one that will fit exactly in the area where the K-3 screen is. If such a thing exists, great.
10-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #21

So, I feel like I keep accidentally knocking my K3 against my keys hanging from my belt loop, I picked up these from Monoprice a few weeks ago. They require some very slight trimming to fit on the K3's screen but otherwise work pretty well. With the screen on, I can't tell it's there.

Less than $3 too...

Digital Camera Screen Protector 3-pack 3.5 Inches - Monoprice.com