Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The rear LCD screen on the K-3

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Since rear LCD screen is made of tempered glass, is it still wise to purchase a third party screen protector?

07-17-2014, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Ole
Administrator

I've never used a screen protector, also not on earlier generation cameras. And I've never ever had a scratch.
07-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wise? meh... Can't hurt.

I end up laying mine down on rocks and all sorts of schtuff, so just about everything gets scratched after the years no matter how carefully its handled.
(Never fails that the time I ever so gently lay my stuff down on a padded surface, someone walks by and knocks my stuff over
(I do lots of pet photos, so by "someone" I likely mean a 100lbs untrained dog on a leash held by an owner that doesn't know how to handle the animal. ugh...)

Anyway, I use some old screen protectors left over from my old "Palm Pilot" days of the early 2000's. Tough stuff.
And if the back LCD should ever break, it will help hold the glass bits together.
07-17-2014, 08:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although the screen is made of tempered glass, there are all kinds of things (sand for example) out there that are so abrasive.
I think putting a protective film on is wise.

07-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I was able to quite nicely rub a good abrasion the rear LCD on my K10D courtesy of another object rubbing against it in the bag. As a result, I am very interested in finding a good protector for my K-3. I wish Giottos made the Aegis screen protector to fit the K-3.

Steve
07-17-2014, 09:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The LCD screens on my K100D and K-7 got scratched up pretty badly, so I put a protector on the K-3 (both top and rear LCDs). Tempered glass IS able to be marred by abrasive objects.
07-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #7

If any one is interested in a screen protector I would recommend the Vikuiti ADQC27 screen protector for the K3 (screen protector for Pentax K3, K-3: Vikuiti? ADQC27) simply because it disappears once you've put it on whilst providing excellent protection against scratching. Sure it wont give you the direct impact protection that would get with something like the ACMAXX protector, but it's air gapless (one of the reasons the K3 screen is superior to the K5) and will protect you against the far more common occurrence of scratching.

07-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
I've never used a screen protector, also not on earlier generation cameras. And I've never ever had a scratch.
Same here. Never had a screen protector, never had a scratch. Even my smartphone, scratch free.
Maybe Ole and I are obsessive with our gear?
07-18-2014, 02:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm, my paranoid side and past experience say get protection. Considering the 2 screen protectors from ACMAXX.
07-18-2014, 02:47 AM   #10

Few months ago I had a K20D without screen protector. Because I always had it for hiking front of me, there was lot of little scratches on the rear screen. On my new K3 I have now a screen protection from ACMAXX. It suits very well to the camera. I think it's a good investment to avoid problems in the future.
07-18-2014, 03:05 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interestingly, tempered glass is no 'harder' than ordinary glass. Tempered glass will scratch just as easily as ordinary glass.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 07-18-2014 at 03:11 AM.
07-18-2014, 05:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Interestingly, tempered glass is no 'harder' than ordinary glass. Tempered glass will scratch just as easily as ordinary glass.
Agreed and just as easy to polish out any rare scrathes with metal polish and then toothpaste.

Really bad scatches can be remove by crocus paper -> metal polish -> toothpaste but this can be hard work .... Then again this will remove sctarches that no portector would have help anyway.

Don't see the point in ruining your display every day on the off chance you may scratch 1 in 10,000 outings.!
07-18-2014, 05:36 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I've never protected a camera screen. even our old w80 which gets tossed around doesn't have significant scratches.

However, if you DO want to protect your screen, just get cellphone protectors, cut them to size and save a few bucks.
07-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Agreed and just as easy to polish out any rare scrathes with metal polish and then toothpaste.
Would jeweler's rouge substitute for toothpaste? Truly, it had never occurred to me to polish out the scratches. I would be afraid of just making things worse.

Steve
07-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Would jeweler's rouge substitute for toothpaste? Truly, it had never occurred to me to polish out the scratches. I would be afraid of just making things worse.

Steve
Only if your posh

Many years ago used to repair watches that were beyong 'professional' repair either because of damge or intrisic value.

So developed many ways of clearing scratched glass over the years depending on amount of damage