Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Deleting files from both SD Cards simultaneously.

I have both of the sd card slots occupied. I shoot raw onto the #1 card and JPG onto the #2 card. When I delete RAW files from SD #1, the corresponding JPG on SD #2 remains intact, which makes things rather inconvinent when sorting the files.

Any ideas how to enable simultaneous deletion of both RAW and corresponding JPG ?

07-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Store both file types on the same card. Which, of course, defeats some of the purpose of having two slots...
07-18-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I don't think it's possible. It's the same thing if you store raw files on both cards (mirrored) - when you delete an image you have to choose on which card. Doesn't bother me much, though, as I rarely delete anything in camera anyway.

Same with formatting the cards, just one at a time, but I suppose that's ok. At least I have to be stupid twice in order to delete all images by mistake
07-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This kind of camera behaviour is rather annoying. You have to slots and you can't use them to full. I don't think it would be a hard thing to fix via some firmware update, I wonder if Pentax/Ricoh are aware of this.
Thank you for confirming my suspicions.

07-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

JPG are small. Can't see where you'd delete enough RAW files to make it necessary to recover space on the JPG card, unless you use a much smaller card.
I can see how that would be rather annoying, (I'm a bit OCD and I agree... always gnawing away that my files are not perfectly in sync on both cards).

In reality, I only store JPG at all for use with the EyeFi card for quick xfer to my phone or laptop and I delete them all when I get home.
So a few extra JPG would not matter in the end.

Is there any reason, besides that nagging feeling that things are not perfect, that you need to delete both?

I know the K5 asks to delete the RAW, JPG or RAW+JPG. Does the K3 not do that when split across both cards?
I wish I had my K3 to verify how that works... (its been in the shop for going on three months with no return in sight).
07-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sometimes despite all of the efforts to process the image the OOC JPG files still beat JPG from RAW in certain aspects. So I delete unnecessary JPG's only after I am finished with RAW development. Sometimes I keep both versions, just in case. In some situations when I would like to show photos to people and I do not have time to develop them, I use OOC JPG if they are good enough.
I am on a vacation now with no access to proper PC (netbook does not count), so to minimize the work at home I started deleting unsuccessful images from the camera.
[Edit] No the K-3 does not suggest to delete RAW+JPG. K-01 showed that dialogue.
07-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well it does make it do you can't accidentally delete card 1 and the backup at the same time. It doesn't bother me at all.