Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-18-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you use the AA filter simulator?

Normally I keep the AA filter simulator on OFF. But I was photographing an iPhone 4 that I was going to list on ebay. And I noticed a lot of banding of color artifacts in the white areas. So I set the AA filter to mode 1. That reduced it a bit. Then I tried mode 2. That pretty much eliminated it. I haven't noticed these artifacts on any other photos, so normally it's just OFF.

What setting do normally use?

07-18-2014, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Same as you- off unless I notice moire. Worst-case, PP moire correction can also be used.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Apologies if misunderstand what happened.

Are you saying that you photographed an iphone screen and was the iphone turned on.

The white areas were they white on the iphone screen.

This sounds like an interference pattern that looks like moire but it isn't, it would be caused by the iphone pixels not matching the sensor pixels and is a pure lcd screen pixel issue.

You can see the exact same effect if you photograph a laptop screen or an lcd tv when its on, you get colour banding and artefacts.

The camera did a splendid job coping if this is what happened and if my guess is right.
07-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is what I saw.

Attached Images

07-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It looks very characteristically like an interference pattern and the camera saw it as moire, since its very similar.

Try your tv screen and a laptop and im sure youll recognise it there.

Cool compensation though
07-18-2014, 10:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I couldn't even tell you how to turn this feature on, that's how often I have used it
07-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Never even tried it. Taken 30K images with it.