Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2014, 12:29 AM   #1

Issue with exposure meter in viewfinder after firmware 1.10 update

I've encountered my first real issue with my K-3 since purchasing it just over two months and only after updating the firmware a week ago from 1.00 to 1.10. While using it tonight the exposure meter display through the viewfinder and on the LCD screen just failed out of nowhere.

The issue presents itself like this:

1. The exposure meter via the viewfinder & LCD screen in every mode, no longer displays the correct exposure level. It randomly shifts slowly, left and right on it's accord as I move the camera around.

2. The meter bar doesn't appears correctly via the viewfinder and LCD screen. The plus and negative symbols along with the small bars indicating +1/+2/+3 exposure have disappeared.

The strange thing I've found is when I set the camera to manual mode and select control of the ISO setting, metering and display of the dial work completely fine.

I don't have much experience with troubleshooting DSLR but I suspect it's a software issue, possibly down to the firmware update. I wonder what peoples thoughts are on this?

07-25-2014, 12:44 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SamCam Quote
1. The exposure meter via the viewfinder & LCD screen in every mode, no longer displays the correct exposure level. It randomly shifts slowly, left and right on it's accord as I move the camera around.
The update could have affected your metering settings. Are you still in matrix metering mode (as opposed to spot or center-weighted)?

QuoteOriginally posted by SamCam Quote
2. The meter bar doesn't appears correctly via the viewfinder and LCD screen. The plus and negative symbols along with the small bars indicating +1/+2/+3 exposure have disappeared.
This normally happens when you enable the electronic level display in the viewfinder. The firmware update could have reset your preferences there as well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The update could have affected your metering settings. Are you still in matrix metering mode (as opposed to spot or center-weighted)?

This normally happens when you enable the electronic level display in the viewfinder. The firmware update could have reset your preferences there as well.
Thanks Adam!

It looks like I somehow managed to enable the electronic level display. With all the issues I've seen regarding the K-3 I guess I'm a little paranoid.
07-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
just enjoy the camera, it's better than you think

Last edited by karro; 07-28-2014 at 04:00 PM.