Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3 - User 1, User 2, User 3...

Not sure why the User 1, User 2, User 3, is on the Mode dial on the K3. Does anybody find this helpful ?

07-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Not sure why the User 1, User 2, User 3, is on the Mode dial on the K3. Does anybody find this helpful ?

I'm using them for various types of action shots I do. I'm finding it to be a great way to keep what works for different situations. So far I have User 1 set for boat racing and user 2 set to air shows. While there isn't much difference there are some.
07-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
I'm using them for various types of action shots I do. I'm finding it to be a great way to keep what works for different situations. So far I have User 1 set for boat racing and user 2 set to air shows. While there isn't much difference there are some.
I use user1 for birds in flight,would like to know what setting you are using
For boat racing and air shows
Neil
07-26-2014, 11:37 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

I like it better than the K5... Instead of selecting USER and then selecting which user you want with the scroll wheel... It's not bad when you first select it but if you do select USER 1 and then later want to go to USER 2, it's kind of a pain...

With the K3, one click and you're done.

I also like the fact that with the K3, you can now assign Focus Mode and Metering Mode to each user.

USER 1 for me is normal... P mode, center metering, single shot, AFS with selectable AF point, auto ISO 100-800, SR ON
USER 2 is action... Tv mode, spot metering, high burst mode, AFC with center group, auto ISO 100-3200, SR ON
USER 3 is tripod/landscape mode... Av mode, full scene metering, remote trigger, AFS with selectable AF, ISO 100, SR OFF

I didn't really use the USER mode until I got the K3. So I for one, really like it

07-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
I like it better than the K5... Instead of selecting USER and then selecting which user you want with the scroll wheel... It's not bad when you first select it but if you do select USER 1 and then later want to go to USER 2, it's kind of a pain...

With the K3, one click and you're done.

I also like the fact that with the K3, you can now assign Focus Mode and Metering Mode to each user.

USER 1 for me is normal... P mode, center metering, single shot, AFS with selectable AF point, auto ISO 100-800, SR ON
USER 2 is action... Tv mode, spot metering, high burst mode, AFC with center group, auto ISO 100-3200, SR ON
USER 3 is tripod/landscape mode... Av mode, full scene metering, remote trigger, AFS with selectable AF, ISO 100, SR OFF

I didn't really use the USER mode until I got the K3. So I for one, really like it
Great ideas for user modes, fgaudet. I always thought I'd use them more, but just get bogged down in the details when I've tried setting them up in the past.
07-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
My settings:
User1: RAW, max sharpening on jpegs - useful to quickly check the focus while chimping - review zoom is set to 100% and I usually use the middle point or auto 9 points for the AF so the focus area most likely will be somewhere near the center, AFC + back AF
User2: RAW, wireless flash configured on ch 3, back AF
User3: JPEGs, just in case, proper sharpening and colors, AFS + AF on the shutter, very useful if someone else wants to take a shot, no explanations needed

but I like fgaudet's settings, they make sense.
07-26-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gtis Quote
I use user1 for birds in flight,would like to know what setting you are using
For boat racing and air shows
Neil

They are both pretty similar.

TAv, ISO Auto 100-800, SR Off. The biggest difference is I use AF.C 9 point auto on boat racing and AF.C 27 point auto for air shows. The difference being there are less distractions for autofocus in the sky than on a lake or river. These are just starting points as I've only had my K3 for a month. I'm still refining my technique with this body.

07-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #8

I use USER 1 as my main mode (tweaked to my liking) and 2 with the B/W filter. 3 is for when I need to tweak the settings for an extended period of time in a specific setting (indoors in specific lighting for example).
07-26-2014, 01:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've always just panicked and set it to Green when handing off for others to use...but maybe a User mode would be better. Maintain raw, etc.
07-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #10
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't really use them, but have set one up for others to use (P mode, focus on half press), one for Catch-in-focus, and one for night shooting (TAv mode, high auto ISO range).
07-27-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
Pentaxian

What is really useful with the user modes is to be able to return to reasonable defaults quickly and reliably. I have two that I use, one center averaging metering with multiple focus points, the other single point focus, single point meter. Both are Tv mode, 1/1000. I adjust the exposure compensation and shutter speed to fit the circumstance, but can revert to a default quickly.
07-29-2014, 07:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
One of the most important reasons to upgrade fomr K5 to K3 - user mode on the dial!
01-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Sorry to resurrect a thread. I had to search the web for this info and thought it might be helpful to others - the user modes don't save automatically. You need to go into the menu and save them as one of the three user modes.

I have one for copying B&W negatives - manual mode, B&W, inverted colours. Another for high contrast B&W shots in Av mode. Still thinking about the third one.
01-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I mostly shoot JPEGS, so I have one user mode set to RAW. another is set for studio (X-sync, flash WB, etc) and the last for sports (AF tracking, aperture priority, etc).
01-21-2015, 02:57 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I've found a problem with any modes not set as manual - they don't work with fully manual lenses. This may seem obvious, but if a pre-A lens is attached, it would be nice if the camera automatically defaulted to M mode.