Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2014, 05:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Will the k-3 take the AA battery adapter or do I need to purchase a battery grip

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Just wondering if the K-3 will take AA's in the body like my k-50 or is the only way to use AA's is by using the battery grip. Sadly I am now without my k-50 while it gets repaired and trying to decide if the K-3 is worth the big bucks or should I just get another k-50 which hubby said he would be happy to use on occasion.

08-12-2014, 05:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's no AA adapter. I find it simpler just get a couple extra batteries especially they last way longer than AA.
08-12-2014, 05:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
There's no AA adapter. I find it simpler just get a couple extra batteries especially they last way longer than AA.
Cheers odd not the findings I had with my K-50 plus travelling where there is no charging points so buying batteries was going to be easier. Guess it is another k-50. Thank you for your speedy reply much appreciated.
08-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure if the standard battery last longer. Six Lithium AA batteries in the grip lasted several thousand images for me.

08-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Not sure if the standard battery last longer. Six Lithium AA batteries in the grip lasted several thousand images for me.

I'll second that number of shots on the AA in the K-3 grip. I use Sanyo Eneloop's in the grip. I've gotten over 3500 shots in a day on one of the standard K-3 lithium batteries also. I've been very happy with battery life on my K-3. Between the 2 standard lithium batteries I have and one set of charged Eneloop's I could theoretically shoot near 10,000 shots in one day without having to charge any batteries.
08-12-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Well Lithium AA definitely last a lot longer and there are 6 of them in the grip... Regular AA in the grip will definitely last longer too, again, the total capacity is higher. However, a grip adds a lot of bulk and weight that is constantly on the camera. For me, a grip doesn't serve a lot of purpose other than carrying extra battery so it's much easier to just carry 2 extra regular batteries in the bag.
08-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys I use the eneloops as well I have for a long time just so easy but nice to have the option if I can't recharge I just go buy a set from somewhere. Think it will be another k-50 but going to be so miffed if a new camera in this range is released next month oh well guess I sell one of them then upgrade 😁

08-13-2014, 02:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well Lithium AA definitely last a lot longer and there are 6 of them in the grip... Regular AA in the grip will definitely last longer too, again, the total capacity is higher. However, a grip adds a lot of bulk and weight that is constantly on the camera. For me, a grip doesn't serve a lot of purpose other than carrying extra battery so it's much easier to just carry 2 extra regular batteries in the bag.
Not strictly true

standard AA have a droopy discharge Voltage and once that voltage drops below around 6v the camera will stop even though the AA's will still be around 1/2 charge

with NiMh and eneloops things will be better due to the Voltage holding up but have less power than the dli-90 due to lower terminal voltage (more cells greater internal resistance lower load voltage) from full charge .

At best eneloops will match a single DLi90 but on average the lithium battery will outperform the aa's under heavy load (shutter, AF , video etc )

Your point on lithium AA's is probably valid but given their cost you could just put and extra DLi-90 in the grip and buy a couple of beers with the change

Also consider the K50 takes the dli109 a small battery designed to allow a aa module to be fitted this battery can deliver somewhere around 6.5 W/h the dli90 is aorund 14 W/h

Last edited by awaldram; 08-13-2014 at 02:10 AM.
12-12-2014, 01:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Just buy a couple of these. They are DSTE made in China. Maybe not the very best , but then again not the elcheapo china crap either. Ive used this guy 4 times for 3 diffrent cameras...not a problem ever..... 2pcs DSTE D LI90 Rechargeable Battery for Pentax K 01 K 3 K 5 K 5 II K 7 | eBay
Thry run about $13 for two including shipping. And NO....hes not my brother , or friend....just got lucky and stumbled across him on Ebay....... USA located and ships fast and free !

And if you do get the Vertical/Battery grip.....Its got a couple features that I liked.

#1......a place for the Body contact cover to go in the grip so it isnt lost.
#2....a place in the grip for the rubber body plug so it doesnt get lost.
#3.....Comes with 2 inserts , one for battery , and one for AA (6 Batteries).
#4.....A spot to put a spare SD card just in case....nice !

I got mine from Tri-State1 on Ebay for $135 shipped....NIB.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 12-12-2014 at 01:33 AM.