Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New beep sound when shutter trips

I had my K3 and da*16-50 out for a weather sealing "test event" (jet boat ride up a river with a completely insane driver) and things got pretty wet in spite of my best efforts. Now my k3 is making a new beep when the shutter trips. It beeps normally with the focus lock, but now there's a new computery sounding beep thing when I press the shutter as well (lower in pitch than the focus lock beep). it sounds like it's coming from inside the body of the camera. Anyone else notice any new weird sounds in theirs? (btw, I think the 16-50 is now toast, it fogged up and now has some gunk inside the front element).

08-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do you have the AA filter simulator on? When mine is on it makes a strange beeping sound which is essentially the SR mechanism performing the AA function. I'm 99 percent sure this is what you are hearing.
08-12-2014, 10:42 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
AA simulator works at around 500hz, here's sample of that frequency (very annoying):

Last edited by karro; 08-13-2014 at 10:47 PM. Reason: SR >> AA (not that it matters anymore)
08-13-2014, 01:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I had my K3 and da*16-50 out for a weather sealing "test event" (jet boat ride up a river with a completely insane driver) and things got pretty wet in spite of my best efforts. Now my k3 is making a new beep when the shutter trips. It beeps normally with the focus lock, but now there's a new computery sounding beep thing when I press the shutter as well (lower in pitch than the focus lock beep). it sounds like it's coming from inside the body of the camera. Anyone else notice any new weird sounds in theirs? (btw, I think the 16-50 is now toast, it fogged up and now has some gunk inside the front element).
Let the lens dry for a week or two. My 18-135 got foggy after a test I made in very hot water and it took 10 days before the fog lifted and now I can not see any residue from it. Be patient.

08-13-2014, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #5

What kind of idiots are mel and Tjopompen1968! Pentax make weather resistant cameras and lenses not weather proof and extreme conditions conditions proof. For jet boat ride the only sensible thing was to use a water proof compact or else a weather proof housing, as for steam as opposed to humid conditions I am not sure what the best solution would be. Weather resistance cameras and associated lenses are a good partnership for milder weather conditions or beach use on a slight windy day, for anything else you can take your pictures when owners of other makes put their cameras away but have keep your fingers crossed as at times you may taking too much of a chance.
08-13-2014, 05:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lochness Quote
What kind of idiots are mel and Tjopompen1968! Pentax make weather resistant cameras and lenses not weather proof and extreme conditions conditions proof. For jet boat ride the only sensible thing was to use a water proof compact or else a weather proof housing, as for steam as opposed to humid conditions I am not sure what the best solution would be. Weather resistance cameras and associated lenses are a good partnership for milder weather conditions or beach use on a slight windy day, for anything else you can take your pictures when owners of other makes put their cameras away but have keep your fingers crossed as at times you may taking too much of a chance.
Thank you for calling me an idiot. Of course it is not weather proof even if I have put the K-3 under the water surface without problem when losing my footing in a river but it is definitely built for more than just "milder weather conditions". Have you seen the commersials for the K-3?
08-13-2014, 04:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I live in the tropics and the humanity here is worse than in the USA, but the camera is able to withstand temperature changes. That beeping sound may have been from the SR but do check your settings to see if they have not been activated by accident.
08-13-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

(btw, I think the 16-50 is now toast, it fogged up and now has some gunk inside the front element).
Put the lens in a couple of clean socks with the end cap slightly loose. Then bury in a bag of uncooked rice for a week or two. The rice should act as a desiccant and dry the lens out. You might want to do the same with camera body with a lens loosely mounted so as not to seal it.

If you have large silica gel bags use those instead of rice. Place them in a plastic bag or container along with the equipment and seal the container. or bag

Last edited by Not a Number; 08-13-2014 at 05:07 PM.
08-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #9

I have to admit that the weather proof of K3 body with WR lens is outstanding. When shooting my 5 year old son playing in the splash pads I got directly hit with a pretty intense water stream directly in the camera body, and got away only with the unpleasant feeling that I would need to deal with several problems. However no damage was made.
About the noise - did you check your body with another lens?
08-13-2014, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

What kind of idiots are mel and Tjopompen1968!
Let's be civil y'all
08-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #11
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You're seriously calling me an idiot? Wow. Awesome.

---------- Post added 08-13-14 at 07:16 PM ----------

So the lens seems to be clearing up. I shot it a lot on a hike today and I'll be looking closely at the shots shortly here. There just seems to be a spot inside the front element left (the lens was sent in for repair about a year ago so it's probably not as weather sealed as it was).

As for the camera and it's annoying bloop sound, I updated the firmware and it went away for a while then started back up. Which lens I'm using is irrelevant. It's annoying because I shoot live performances (ballet and theatre) and more sounds is not good. However I was assured by my hiking companions that they couldn't hear it. It just seems loud to me because it's right at my face.

Okay and now I just checked the AA filter and we have a winner! Sweet. It was on. Probably inadvertly turned on while randomly and absently fiddling with buttons while riding in the car. Thanks so much for the awesome advice!

Last edited by mel; 08-13-2014 at 07:18 PM.
09-29-2014, 05:18 AM   #12
Site Supporter

My K3 just started making a weird "whoop" sound each time the shutter released, starting on 9/27/14. I do have AA activated, but the sound started long after that. I sent a note to Pentax this morning about that. Sounds weird and has me a bit worried.
07-17-2015, 06:13 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I just did a search and found this thread. This noise has been driving me nuts for a week now. My other camera is a K20 which does not have the AA filter simulator. I must have been messing around with the setting and forgot to turn it off. Thank you so very much! That was the problem. I guess I missed that in the manual. (i'm being sarcastic)