Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2014, 06:45 AM   #1

Sticky switches problem on the K3

Hi,

I've had my K3 since April and am about at 8000 actuations.

I've noticed the past couple of weeks that the lever to turn the k3 has gotten harder to switch on.. so it's no longer a snug pull to turn on, but I have to apply more pressure than I expect, so much so that it pulls all the way over to the right most hand position.

I've also noticed that the buttons on the back, the 4 direction button, seems somewhat "sticky" as well.

I don't think I messed with my camera with sticky fingers, but I'm not sure.

Has anyone else had this problem, or no of a way to clean the buttons/lever areas if it was a sticky fingers problem?

The camera is fully functional now, its just I surely don't want the issue to get any worse.

Any recommendations?

08-19-2014, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hhmmm..... I had the same problem on a PnS once. Specifically the four navigation buttons. A few drops of lighter fluid per button worked like a charm. I did exercise the buttons some before lighter fluid very rapidly evaporated. If the source of the stickiness is something sugary then an alcohol would likely be a better bet. Isopropyl, vodka? To the best of my knowledge the lighter fluid or alcohols should do no damage to plastics or metals.
08-19-2014, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ummmm...you know those Facebook posts suggesting Coca Cola for all manner of unusual cleaning tasks? Well, I don't think it is very good for cameras.

Just kidding!

It may be that there was an accidental exposure to soda pop or some other sticky liquid at some point that you were not informed of. You might want to try a little judicious dabbing at the affected areas with a damp cloth to see if you can wick out the sticky stuff. I don't know if I would use lighter fluid. It is a great non-polar solvent and is useful for flushing the clockwork on mechanical shutters as well as cleaning out degraded film camera seals, but it is likely to penetrate or degrade the seals on your still-in-warranty K-3.

Steve
08-19-2014, 10:56 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Multi-coated Quote
Hhmmm..... I had the same problem on a PnS once. Specifically the four navigation buttons. A few drops of lighter fluid per button worked like a charm. I did exercise the buttons some before lighter fluid very rapidly evaporated. If the source of the stickiness is something sugary then an alcohol would likely be a better bet. Isopropyl, vodka? To the best of my knowledge the lighter fluid or alcohols should do no damage to plastics or metals.
No no no...

Rinse slowly under hand warm water. No chemicals! The seals don't like chemicals but they like water. I had a grain of sand or something that made the front dial hard to turn so I rinsed it while turning. As good as new after.

08-19-2014, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
No no no...

Rinse slowly under hand warm water. No chemicals! The seals don't like chemicals but they like water. I had a grain of sand or something that made the front dial hard to turn so I rinsed it while turning. As good as new after.
Oh! That is a good point. The PnS I cleaned up is most certainly not weather sealed. Water a better idea for K3.
08-19-2014, 09:17 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hi all, thanks for the tips.

I've just tried running water over the concerned switches etc.. and certainly, the 4 direction is much improved, or even resolved back to it's original "feel". The on/off switch is much improved, so I can turn it on with a bit less force so it doesn't go all the way over, and will remain at the on position.

So, I'll try the on/off switch again tomorrow, but am certainly feeling better about it... so thanks all!!!