Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #16
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,288
FA is the full frame lenses made for the old "analogue" cameras.

08-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #17
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 199
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
FA is the full frame lenses made for the old "analogue" cameras.
Thank you.
maria
08-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,250
Spending a bit more on the DA 35/2.8 macro limited could be worth it to kill two birds with one exquisite stone.

The DA 50/1.8 would be a great introduction into the fast fifties, but at some point the lure of the faster, quieter, weather resistant, sharper DA*55/1.4 may become irresistible.

To free up funds, it might be worth considering which of the two long zooms suits your needs best. So much redundancy in zoom range seems a little pointless to me.
08-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #19
Des
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sth Gippsland Victoria Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,659
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
FA is the full frame lenses made for the old "analogue" cameras.
Although made for film cameras, some Pentax FA lenses are still in production. There are also plenty available on the second-hand market.

D FA describes three full frame macro lenses (35, 50 and 100mm) which are all renowned for their sharpness (but not focusing speed). Each can take 1:1 macro photos. The D FA 35mm macro is the current model of the 35 macro that Ron and Sandy suggested.

The DA series of Pentax lenses are those designed for Pentax's APS-C digital cameras (such as the K-x and K-3).

---------- Post added 08-22-14 at 09:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
To free up funds, it might be worth considering which of the two long zooms suits your needs best. So much redundancy in zoom range seems a little pointless to me.
+1

I haven't owned the 50-200 but from what I have read and seen the 55-300 is faster and much better at the long end (say 90mm and above) and the extra reach is invaluable for animals. Its weakness in my opinion is at the wide end. If you went for a zoom or prime(s) that covered up to about 70mm or so, it would take care of that issue. The 55-300 has a long 1.4m minimum focusing distance, which might be a limitation for pet photography, but a close focus filter or diopter (e.g. Raynox 150) would fix that at modest cost. (There are plenty of threads about this.)

08-21-2014, 08:50 PM   #20
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 199
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Spending a bit more on the DA 35/2.8 macro limited could be worth it to kill two birds with one exquisite stone.

The DA 50/1.8 would be a great introduction into the fast fifties, but at some point the lure of the faster, quieter, weather resistant, sharper DA*55/1.4 may become irresistible.

To free up funds, it might be worth considering which of the two long zooms suits your needs best. So much redundancy in zoom range seems a little pointless to me.
I think I got the 50-200 with the 18-55 with the Kx and bought the 55-300 later for birding. It's a good idea to sell the 50-200 and I will go to our last camera store when I can drive again and see if he can sell it for me.
maria

---------- Post added 08-21-14 at 09:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Although made for film cameras, some Pentax FA lenses are still in production. There are also plenty available on the second-hand market.

D FA describes three full frame macro lenses (35, 50 and 100mm) which are all renowned for their sharpness (but not focusing speed). Each can take 1:1 macro photos. The D FA 35mm macro is the current model of the 35 macro that Ron and Sandy suggested.

The DA series of Pentax lenses are those designed for Pentax's APS-C digital cameras (such as the K-x and K-3).

---------- Post added 08-22-14 at 09:40 AM ----------


+1

I haven't owned the 50-200 but from what I have read and seen the 55-300 is faster and much better at the long end (say 90mm and above) and the extra reach is invaluable for animals. Its weakness in my opinion is at the wide end. If you went for a zoom or prime(s) that covered up to about 70mm or so, it would take care of that issue. The 55-300 has a long 1.4m minimum focusing distance, which might be a limitation for pet photography, but a close focus filter or diopter (e.g. Raynox 150) would fix that at modest cost. (There are plenty of threads about this.)
No problem with the pet photos, I can use my Canon until I get a nice portrait lens for the Pentax. I don't do a lot of that any more, am more interested in playing with light in still life set ups and working on more abstract images. But when I need money for gear I let the groomers know I am available. It's fun for a while.
maria
08-22-2014, 04:59 AM   #21
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,659
QuoteOriginally posted by mariakruse Quote
It's a good idea to sell the 50-200 and I will go to our last camera store when I can drive again and see if he can sell it for me.
Or you can just list here on the (free) marketplace.
08-22-2014, 05:24 AM   #22
Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,727
QuoteOriginally posted by mariakruse Quote
What please, does the FA mean?
The FA series are lenses made for 35mm film ("full frame"), as opposed to the DA lenses designed for APS-C sized sensors.

There are other differences as well. Take a look here for more detailed information on the various generations and series of Pentax lenses.

Edit: Oops, didn't notice page 2 of this thread - makes my reply rather redundant
08-22-2014, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,772
We have the 21 ltd 35 2.4 , an FA 50 1.8 and Sigma 70 macro and Tamron 90 macro...our goal is 15 ltd. 21 ltd, FA 31 ltd, F 50 1.4, and SIgma 70 macro Tamron 90

SO though we bought an FA 50 1.7 and 35 2.4 neither are in our long term plans. The tamron 90 however holds it's own with anything. We'd replace it in a heart beat if something happened to it. We have the Sigma 70 macro, but we have it because we both shoot macro and didn't want to have two of the same lenses. The tamron is definitely top of the heap between those two. Lighter and longer, personally I avoid short focal length macros like a plague of locusts. When I do insects, I like to try capturing them doing what they do. You can be too close. With a wide angle macro you will be too close.

But just to get started, the DA 35 2.4, DA 50 1.8 and Tamron 90 macro would be my choice. There's lots of room to grow in those lenses.

08-22-2014, 05:52 AM   #24
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 199
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We have the 21 ltd 35 2.4 , an FA 50 1.8 and Sigma 70 macro and Tamron 90 macro...our goal is 15 ltd. 21 ltd, FA 31 ltd, F 50 1.4, and SIgma 70 macro Tamron 90

SO though we bought an FA 50 1.7 and 35 2.4 neither are in our long term plans. The tamron 90 however holds it's own with anything. We'd replace it in a heart beat if something happened to it. We have the Sigma 70 macro, but we have it because we both shoot macro and didn't want to have two of the same lenses. The tamron is definitely top of the heap between those two. Lighter and longer, personally I avoid short focal length macros like a plague of locusts. When I do insects, I like to try capturing them doing what they do. You can be too close. With a wide angle macro you will be too close.

But just to get started, the DA 35 2.4, DA 50 1.8 and Tamron 90 macro would be my choice. There's lots of room to grow in those lenses.
thanks,
those are the three I want to buy. They are in my cart at Amazon waiting.
maria

---------- Post added 08-22-14 at 06:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Or you can just list here on the (free) marketplace.
I was going to do that but didn't want to play with Paypal. I don't have an account and don't really want to be involved with them. Silly I know, but DH insists.
maria
08-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #25
Des
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sth Gippsland Victoria Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,659
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
The FA series are lenses made for 35mm film ("full frame")
FA - Pentax range of full-frame lenses
Sweet FA - Pentax range of full-frame digital cameras

Apologies to Maria for the digression.
08-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #26
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 199
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
FA - Pentax range of full-frame lenses
Sweet FA - Pentax range of full-frame digital cameras

Apologies to Maria for the digression.
No apology needed, I appreciate the information.
thank you
maria
08-25-2014, 04:50 AM   #27
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,659
QuoteOriginally posted by mariakruse Quote
I was going to do that but didn't want to play with Paypal. I don't have an account and don't really want to be involved with them. Silly I know, but DH insists.
Well you're not forced to use paypal, you can use collect on delivery, money orders, Google Wallet, etc. But it's true that paypal is the de facto means of paying for goods among individuals.
08-25-2014, 04:58 AM   #28
Forum Member
bernhardn's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Meppel, Drenthe, The Netherlands
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 70
Hi,

Don't tell anybody but there are new lensses comming! also to fill the gap between 300mm and the 560mm!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
100mm, af, bit, dslr, fa, frame, k-3, k3, lens, lenses, lot, macro, maria, pentax, pentax k-3, plenty, pm, post, primes, review, sigma, sp, tamron
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lenses for k3 mariakruse Pentax K-3 3 08-16-2014 01:28 PM
New K3 or Better Lenses ROBEFFY Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 05-02-2014 02:31 PM
Kit lenses - are they good enough for the K3? regislea Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 24 04-13-2014 10:56 PM
Fast focusing lenses for K3 yorik Pentax K-3 21 04-13-2014 12:18 PM
Preparing for the K3 with great lenses ? jpzk Pentax K-3 4 11-12-2013 03:27 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:44 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top