Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2014, 04:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
New K-3 owner first time setup up advice

I'm a K-5iis, and made the jump to the new K-3 which should be at my doorstep this afternoon. I'm looking forward to spending time with this camera to get to know it better. Since i'm a newbie I'd appreciate any advice from all the seasoned k-3 veterans on first time setup, tweaking and optimization. I'm shoot mostly RAW, and am a wildlife/birding enthusiast looking forward to the AF upgrades on the K-3 (specifically AF.C tracking functions)

08-21-2014, 06:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
I'm a K-5iis, and made the jump to the new K-3 which should be at my doorstep this afternoon. I'm looking forward to spending time with this camera to get to know it better. Since i'm a newbie I'd appreciate any advice from all the seasoned k-3 veterans on first time setup, tweaking and optimization. I'm shoot mostly RAW, and am a wildlife/birding enthusiast looking forward to the AF upgrades on the K-3 (specifically AF.C tracking functions)
These threads should be useful:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/251413-post-your-k3-af-settings-here.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/65...otography.html
08-21-2014, 06:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
-much obliged
08-21-2014, 06:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi, Stavri. I've had my K-3 for about nine months, after having a K-5 for about three years. Much of the K-3 will be familiar after your K-5IIs, but the AF is probably the biggest change to get used to, with the greater number of focus points and improved response times. I'm sure you'll get better information from others about that, though, if you're looking to photograph moving subjects. Mine tend to be static or slow-moving.

08-21-2014, 06:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Snap......My K3 arrived ths afternoon as well.....upgrading from a K5II
08-21-2014, 06:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Snap......My K3 arrived ths afternoon as well.....upgrading from a K5II
I share you excitement today!!
08-21-2014, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I'm shoot mostly RAW, and am a wildlife/birding enthusiast looking forward to the AF upgrades on the K-3 (specifically AF.C tracking functions)
Something that you will notice immediately is that the K-3 uses buttons for some important functions, where the K-5 IIs uses switches. I have a strong preference for buttons, because they can be controlled electronically.

For general shooting, I use:
- Program Shift, Low-speed continuous burst, AF-S, multi-point metering, center point AF, SR on.

I have a User mode dedicated to birds in flight, sports, action, etc.:
- TAv mode, Hi-speed burst, AF-C, center-point metering, expanded AF point, SR off

All I have to do to change from still shooting to action, is rotate the mode dial to USER1, and I'm ready to go.

I have USER2 set up for flash photography. I haven't set USER3 for anything permanent so far.

Last edited by audiobomber; 08-21-2014 at 12:02 PM.
08-21-2014, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Check out the "recommended settings" in the in-depth K3 review on these forums:

Review: Pentax K-3 - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews