Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Maybe something to do with the AA filter simulator? With the K-5, it is easy to outpace the SR, if you don't wait for the little "hand" icon to appear. I'd imagine the K-3 might force you to wait for the SR mechanism to be ready, since it is used for the AA simulator.
I had both turned off. Ditto for in-camera PP and curve adjustments.

Steve

---------- Post added 08-21-14 at 03:50 PM ----------

This is really strange. I was able to get a consistent 2 fps with the camera in M mode set to intentionally strongly underexpose. Am I remembering correctly a post some time back that linked a long frame-to-frame time with the time required to generate the JPEG preview image to the RAW file?

Steve

(...grasping at straws here I hope you all know...)

---------- Post added 08-21-14 at 04:04 PM ----------

Scrap the bit about underexposure. Just choose a subject with high contrast and low complexity.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-21-2014 at 04:02 PM.
08-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does it matter what metering mode you are in? Matrix metering may take a while to crunch through all those permutations.

Jack
08-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Does it matter what metering mode you are in? Matrix metering may take a while to crunch through all those permutations.

Jack
How does M mode, manual focus, with a vintage M-series lens sound?

Steve
08-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
How does M mode, manual focus, with a vintage M-series lens sound?
Mmmm.

08-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone else get expected reaction speed when high speed continuous shooting is enabled? (and that being the only settings change)
and again, not continuous shooting... just expected reaction time when repeatedly hitting the shutter button...
08-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Anyone else get expected reaction speed when high speed continuous shooting is enabled? (and that being the only settings change)
and again, not continuous shooting... just expected reaction time when repeatedly hitting the shutter button...
It seems like it is faster, but after playing with it a bit (a hundred or so exposures), I have to to say that there is no real difference unless the continuous drive kicks in.

Steve

---------- Post added 08-21-14 at 07:31 PM ----------

BTW...In regards to the reviews on Imaging Resources, it appears that they have a threshold for cycle time above which they say that "early shutter penalty" exists*. I will have to ask around my circle of friends who shoot various brands to see how many of their cameras are able to support that behavior.

The more I think about it, the more unclear I am regarding this "issue". According to Imaging Resource, "early shutter penalty" is when "...cameras don't snap another shot if you release and press the shutter too quickly in Single Shot mode...". It is not clear what constitutes too quickly. Are they referring to a threshold in cycle time perhaps?** After all, how do they measure cycle time except by determining the minimum time per shot over 20 shots? I am not sure how they might do this except, perhaps, with a wired remote intervalometer.

There was also mention in the K-3 review of using a target that forces minimized image compression. Pentax uses compression for both JPEG (duh) and RAW output and the amount of compression needed may affect cycle time. I have a wired intervalometer and will see if the camera will ramp up.

Steve

* The term is unique to their testing procedures and unfortunately they do not detail their process anywhere on their site.
** This is problematic since the K-3 is reported as not having the malady at 0.69s per cycle (large JPEG), while the K-30 is reported as having the problem at 0.41s per cycle.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-21-2014 at 07:34 PM.
08-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Steve, crewl1, amoringello et al,

thank you for your efforts in this case. So the K-3 has "early shutter penalty" then.

I've shot with a screwdrive lens today to see if that made any difference. Of course it didn't.
I also tried disabling shake reduction. Same thing.

Other various ideas were:
Instant review - I have disabled instant review.
Self timer - I don't have the self timer on.
Filters - All filter effects are off.

I'll leave the drive mode in medium speed for now and see how that works out for me.

Thanks again everyone.

Regards,
--Anders.

10-23-2014, 06:09 AM   #23

Hello Anders,

thank you very much for bringing up this topic. I have noticed this behavior very early on my K-3, because that is how I used my K-7 (fast clicks in Single Shot mode). Until I found your thread, I didn't even have a name for that "issue".

I have also tried lots of things, shooting with different SD cards and without any cards, for example. But no difference.

Continuous medium seems to be the most responsive mode to fast shutter clicks for me, too. More responsive than high speed, in particular.

Unfortunately I recently discovered a weird drawback when the camera is set to any of the continuous drive modes: The option to save your last jpg shot as RAW in playback via the AE-L-button disappears when the drive is not set to Single Shot. This is a feature I have come to appreciate a lot.

This makes my K-3 feel somehow unresponsive to me, despite its impressive speed in any other aspect. I am not sure if I will ever grow to like it as much as I liked my K-7.

Thanks for sharing your experiences on this.
Regards,

Alexander
10-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alextea Quote
Unfortunately I recently discovered a weird drawback when the camera is set to any of the continuous drive modes: The option to save your last jpg shot as RAW in playback via the AE-L-button disappears when the drive is not set to Single Shot. This is a feature I have come to appreciate a lot.
I just tried this, and you're right. The K-5 didn't do that. This sucks, I also like save as raw very much.

There's always one or two annoyances with a new camera. The familiar niggles from the old model are ironed out, but instead we get a couple of new ones.

Regards,
--Anders.