Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 199
k mount lens

Am I correct in thinking that my K3 can use any K mount lens?
thank you,
maria

08-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,329
Yes, all the way back with different levels of automation.
08-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,474
Yes, but with one caution. Several years before Pentax developed the auto-focus version of the K-mount, Ricoh made a series of program mode cameras that used a special variation on the K-mount. Instead of the array of contacts on the mount face used by Pentax, the Ricoh system used a single pin-like contact. The Ricoh lenses having this contact are labeled "Rikenon P". Ricoh was a popular brand at the time and most third-party lens makers made K-mount lenses having the "P" contact and some made a combination Pentax "A" and Ricoh "P" mount that supported both systems.

Are we bored yet? The exciting part comes a few years later when Pentax brings their second-generation auto-focus system to market using a mechanical drive pawl on the lens mount. By unfortunate coincidence, the well for the AF drive was (and continues to be) at the same location as the Ricoh pin contact. Did I mention that the pin is spring-loaded? As a result, mounting a lens with the pin on a Pentax AF body results in the pin extending into the AF well and effectively locking the lens onto the camera. Not Good.

But, wait, there's more! There are two versions of the Ricoh pin contact. One is a spring-loaded pin and the other is a smooth-headed spring-loaded ball. The ball type is much less likely to jam into the AF well.

So, with the history lesson over, here are the bullet points:
  • The "Ricoh Pin" is something to be aware of when buying vintage K-mount lenses
  • Lenses having the "Ricoh Pin" are not uncommon and are generally labeled KR, KPR, or something similar on the lens body or on the mount itself
  • Ricoh brand lenses having the pin are always labeled "Rikenon P". Other Ricoh lenses (XR Rikenon and Rikenon) are quite safe.
  • The "Ricoh Pin" is limited to manual focus lenses
  • For articles and images showing what the pin contact looks like and how to find it, search for "Ricoh Pin" on your favorite Internet search service
  • No current lenses are being sold in the Ricoh "P" mount
  • The rounded-type contact is generally considered to be safe. I have a Rikenon P 50mm lens that I have used on my K-3 with no problems. Having shared that information, I must caution that another lens might not work so well.
  • The conventional solution to solve the incompatibility is to surgically remove the pin from the lens
  • If you accidentally mount a "pin" lens to your camera, removal is difficult. Again, Google is our friend. So is Pentax Forums. A hacksaw may be required.


Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-24-2014 at 09:35 AM.
08-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 199
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Yes, all the way back with different levels of automation.
thank you, I thought so but needed to be sure. It's been a while since I used a Pentax and am just getting back to it.
maria

---------- Post added 08-24-14 at 10:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, but with one caution. Several years before Pentax developed the auto-focus version of the K-mount, Ricoh made a series of program mode cameras that used a special variation on the K-mount. Instead of the array of contacts on the mount face used by Pentax, the Ricoh system used a single pin-like contact. The Ricoh lenses having this contact are labeled "Rikenon P". Ricoh was a popular brand at the time and most third-party lens makers made K-mount lenses having the "P" contact and some made a combination Pentax "A" and Ricoh "P" mount that supported both systems.

Are we bored yet? The exciting part comes a few years later when Pentax brings their second-generation auto-focus system to market using a mechanical drive pawl on the lens mount. By unfortunate coincidence, the well for the AF drive was (and continues to be) at the same location as the Ricoh pin contact. Did I mention that the pin is spring-loaded? As a result, mounting a lens with the pin on a Pentax AF body results in the pin extending into the AF well and effectively locking the lens onto the camera. Not Good.

But, wait, there's more! There are two versions of the Ricoh pin contact. One is a spring-loaded pin and the other is a smooth-headed spring-loaded ball. The ball type is much less likely to jam into the AF well.

So, with the history lesson over, here are the bullet points:
  • The "Ricoh Pin" is something to be aware of when buying vintage K-mount lenses
  • Lenses having the "Ricoh Pin" are generally labeled KR, KPR, or something similar on the lens body or on the mount itself
  • The "Ricoh Pin" is limited to manual focus lenses
  • For articles and images showing what the pin contact looks like and how to find it, search for "Ricoh Pin" on your favorite Internet search service
  • No current lenses are being sold in the Ricoh "P" mount
  • Ricoh brand lenses having the pin are always labeled "Rikenon P". XR Rikenon and other Rikenon lenses are quite safe.
  • The rounded-type contact is generally considered to be safe. I have a Rikenon P 50mm lens that I have used on my K-3 with no problems. Having shared that information, I must caution that another lens might not work so well.
  • The conventional solution to solve the incompatibility is to surgically remove the pin from the lens
  • If you accidentally mount a "pin" lens to your camera, removal is difficult. Again, Google is our friend. So is Pentax Forums. A hacksaw may be required.
Wow!, thank you. I had no idea. I will pay attention.
maria

---------- Post added 08-24-14 at 11:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, but with one caution. Several years before Pentax developed the auto-focus version of the K-mount, Ricoh made a series of program mode cameras that used a special variation on the K-mount. Instead of the array of contacts on the mount face used by Pentax, the Ricoh system used a single pin-like contact. The Ricoh lenses having this contact are labeled "Rikenon P". Ricoh was a popular brand at the time and most third-party lens makers made K-mount lenses having the "P" contact and some made a combination Pentax "A" and Ricoh "P" mount that supported both systems.

Are we bored yet? The exciting part comes a few years later when Pentax brings their second-generation auto-focus system to market using a mechanical drive pawl on the lens mount. By unfortunate coincidence, the well for the AF drive was (and continues to be) at the same location as the Ricoh pin contact. Did I mention that the pin is spring-loaded? As a result, mounting a lens with the pin on a Pentax AF body results in the pin extending into the AF well and effectively locking the lens onto the camera. Not Good.

But, wait, there's more! There are two versions of the Ricoh pin contact. One is a spring-loaded pin and the other is a smooth-headed spring-loaded ball. The ball type is much less likely to jam into the AF well.

So, with the history lesson over, here are the bullet points:
  • The "Ricoh Pin" is something to be aware of when buying vintage K-mount lenses
  • Lenses having the "Ricoh Pin" are not uncommon and are generally labeled KR, KPR, or something similar on the lens body or on the mount itself
  • Ricoh brand lenses having the pin are always labeled "Rikenon P". Other Ricoh lenses (XR Rikenon and Rikenon) are quite safe.
  • The "Ricoh Pin" is limited to manual focus lenses
  • For articles and images showing what the pin contact looks like and how to find it, search for "Ricoh Pin" on your favorite Internet search service
  • No current lenses are being sold in the Ricoh "P" mount
  • The rounded-type contact is generally considered to be safe. I have a Rikenon P 50mm lens that I have used on my K-3 with no problems. Having shared that information, I must caution that another lens might not work so well.
  • The conventional solution to solve the incompatibility is to surgically remove the pin from the lens
  • If you accidentally mount a "pin" lens to your camera, removal is difficult. Again, Google is our friend. So is Pentax Forums. A hacksaw may be required.


Steve
I was wondering if the PENTAX 28-105MM F/4-5.6 SMC FA IF SILVER K MOUNT AUTOFOCUS LENS would be a good lens to have for about 80 dollars, it's used but seems in very good condition.
maria

08-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,474
QuoteOriginally posted by mariakruse Quote
I was wondering if the PENTAX 28-105MM F/4-5.6 SMC FA IF SILVER K MOUNT AUTOFOCUS LENS would be a good lens to have for about 80 dollars, it's used but seems in very good condition.
The reviews on this site are a good place to start. Here is the review for that lens:

SMC Pentax-FA 28-105mm F4-5.6 [IF] Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Remember that the ratings in the user reviews tend to be skewed a little high. It is rare to see a lens rated lower than an 8.

You can also post an inquiry in the lens section of this site. The level of familiarity is pretty high there and anyone has first-hand knowledge of a lens, that is where you will find it.

Pentax SLR Lens Discussion - PentaxForums.com


Steve
08-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #6
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,771
Another thing to be aware of when buying old K-mount lens (in addition to the Ricoh pin described above ) is that a number of third party lenses from Vivitar and others used an aperture lever protection shield that is large enough to interfere with the SDM contacts on newer cameras. In most cases the shield can be removed so the lens will work.

In short, any k-mount lens made by Pentax will work within the limitations of the lens, and most if not all k-mount lenses from other manufacturers will work with some caution.

QuoteQuote:
I was wondering if the PENTAX 28-105MM F/4-5.6 SMC FA IF SILVER K MOUNT AUTOFOCUS LENS would be a good lens to have for about 80 dollars, it's used but seems in very good condition.
There are three different FA 28-105 lenses from Pentax. I think the best is the SMC Pentax-FA 28-105mm F3.2-4.5 AL [IF] Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database even though the review scores are lower. YMMV All of them are reported to be adequate lenses and consider that a new modern 18-135 lens will cost over $400
08-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 199
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Another thing to be aware of when buying old K-mount lens (in addition to the Ricoh pin described above ) is that a number of third party lenses from Vivitar and others used an aperture lever protection shield that is large enough to interfere with the SDM contacts on newer cameras. In most cases the shield can be removed so the lens will work.

In short, any k-mount lens made by Pentax will work within the limitations of the lens, and most if not all k-mount lenses from other manufacturers will work with some caution.

There are three different FA 28-105 lenses from Pentax. I think the best is the SMC Pentax-FA 28-105mm F3.2-4.5 AL [IF] Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database even though the review scores are lower. YMMV All of them are reported to be adequate lenses and consider that a new modern 18-135 lens will cost over $400
Thank you.
maria
08-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,329
Oooops! Did not know about this pin thingy and the larger flange thingy.

Thanks for the history lesson.

08-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 4,263
The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
08-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 199
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Oh, thank you.
maria
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, contact, dslr, k-3, k-mount, k3, lens, lenses, mount, pentax, pentax k-3, pin, ricoh, rikenon
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using K Mount Manual Lens on K-30, K-50? Relativity Pentax K-30 & K-50 11 07-08-2014 04:05 PM
Vivitar P/K-A lens doesn't mount on K-30 galaxytab Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 05-15-2014 09:10 PM
Noob question: Should any K-mount AF lens work on K-01? harioharima Pentax K-01 3 02-12-2013 03:14 PM
Adapter to go from M42 mount to Pentax k-mount lens Tonytee Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 01-26-2013 08:49 PM
b4 mount to k mount? video lens on SLR? cadmus Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 04-23-2011 06:21 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:19 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top