Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #1

K3 battery?

I read the battery in the K3 is so-so. Does the k3 use the same battery that pentax used in the 645D and their K01? If so, what is wrong with that battery?

08-25-2014, 06:59 PM   #2

I have not had any problems with my battery, 800 + shots between charges. NOTHIING to complain about. I think it's been way overstated.
Rick
08-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
I read the battery in the K3 is so-so. Does the k3 use the same battery that pentax used in the 645D and their K01? If so, what is wrong with that battery?
I'm not sure where you got that from. Yes, it's the D-Li90 battery which has been in use in flagship cameras since the K-7. The K-3 does get marginally shorter battery life than the K-5, but the difference is small.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I read the battery in the K3 is so-so.
Curious where you heard that? I routinely get 800 shots from it. Just really is not an issue at all. In fact it last so long I forget to check it.

08-25-2014, 10:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I got over 4200 shots on one charge with power left over last Saturday. Those were all in one day at the boat races. Nothing done to try to conserve the battery. Not sure how that would work out if it had spanned several days but all in one day, No Problem!!!
08-26-2014, 06:21 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks. I read it on one of the reviews. Don't remember where. I have a K01 and was looking to move up.
08-26-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. I read it on one of the reviews. Don't remember where. I have a K01 and was looking to move up.
That's exactly why I'm very careful not to get too excited about a reviewers observation.

08-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Your mileage may vary depending on how much you use live view and flash or,on the K3, the Flucard so it is very difficult to quantify. If you use the Flucard much, your battery life is toast. I went an entire 14 day trip and about 1,800 shutter clicks on two batteries with the K5II. The next month, a four day trip with 1,400 shots took two batteries on the K3. There are so many variables, it is hard to create a rule.
08-26-2014, 01:46 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Your mileage may vary depending on how much you use live view and flash or,on the K3, the Flucard so it is very difficult to quantify.
Add video to the list and you will find that your battery life is measured in minutes, not shutter clicks. Your experience of about 700 exposures per charge is similar to what I have been getting with my K-3 in mixed usage.

Steve
08-26-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
That's exactly why I'm very careful not to get too excited about a reviewers observation.
I don't think that was an observation. They were reporting what Pentax claims to be the battery life, which was 720 shots, or about 260 images less than for the K5II. That is actually pretty close to the difference I am seeing.
08-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

There are so many variables, it is hard to create a rule.
There is in fact a CIPA standard [PDF, 177k] for quantifying camera battery life. It's only a guide though. Once you get into the real world and all of the variables you've mentioned (Flucard use, LiveView, video use etc), as well as battery age and brand, lots of variation is to be expected.
08-26-2014, 02:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I can say that in my usage pattern, the K3 seems to get about 20-25% less battery life than the K5 series, with which I have much more experience. With the Flucard, you can put a pretty good dent in a battery grip full of freshly charged Eneloops more quickly than you would think.
08-27-2014, 07:37 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
There is in fact a CIPA standard [PDF, 177k] for quantifying camera battery life. It's only a guide though. Once you get into the real world and all of the variables you've mentioned (Flucard use, LiveView, video use etc), as well as battery age and brand, lots of variation is to be expected.
Back to the OP's inquiry, the stock battery is fine. The camera simply uses more power to do the job.

Steve
08-28-2014, 02:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can say that in my usage pattern, the K3 seems to get about 20-25% less battery life than the K5 series, with which I have much more experience. With the Flucard, you can put a pretty good dent in a battery grip full of freshly charged Eneloops more quickly than you would think.
I have FLu constantly in slot2 64gb in slot1 shoot RAW slot1 mid jpeg slot 2 with my usage patterns I get around 1000+ shots per charge.
08-28-2014, 04:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
I have FLu constantly in slot2 64gb in slot1 shoot RAW slot1 mid jpeg slot 2 with my usage patterns I get around 1000+ shots per charge.
Just having the Flu in the slot and actually using its wireless features are two very different things in terms of battery use. I often keep the Flucard in Slot 2 as well, but turned off. Nevertheless, 1,000 is more actuations than I have ever gotten with or without the card, and my results are close to the Pentax estimates. You must be doing a very good job of battery conservation.

I like the Flucard feature, but when its wireless features (especially control) are used, it gets warm--a sure sign of serious power use from the card, itself. In addition, the camera must not be set to turn itself off as quickly so that the wireless transmission can be completed, and for control the sensor is on for live view features for extended periods. All of these suck power. If I am actually using the remote feature, I almost always use the battery grip.

It is interesting that, regardless of the battery state in my grip, my power meter icon drops as soon as I turn the card on and connect, but the full power indication may come back as soon as the card is off and the camera is restarted. It is apparently pulling the voltage down enough to make the camera think the batteries are low.