Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2014, 07:12 PM   #31
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,185
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Mine keeps getting better. At first I thought it was on par with the K5. But as I get use to the camera I keep getting more incredible photos. I thought I would mostly like the autofocus improvements. Even the subtle changes to the grip make it even better to hold.

My sentiments as well. And the grip! I thought the K-5 grip was nigh perfect but then the K-3 grip came along and feels even better! I even notice that they didn't incorporate the same ergonomic tweaks to the detachable battery grip; it still feels like the K-5 so whenever I take a portrait photo my hand is a little sad.

I skipped the K-5ii/s because I needed improvements in AF and camera operation. I'm glad that I waited. And a FF camera won't make me a better photographer or get me more work, but it would be nice to have.

08-28-2014, 04:12 AM   #32
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 11
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
My sentiments as well. And the grip! I thought the K-5 grip was nigh perfect but then the K-3 grip came along and feels even better! I even notice that they didn't incorporate the same ergonomic tweaks to the detachable battery grip; it still feels like the K-5 so whenever I take a portrait photo my hand is a little sad.

I skipped the K-5ii/s because I needed improvements in AF and camera operation. I'm glad that I waited. And a FF camera won't make me a better photographer or get me more work, but it would be nice to have.
Moved up from a K-5 to K-5IIs and I´m very happy. The camera is perfect and AF improvements is big. I think, that K-5IIs have better IQ and focus accurancy than K-3.
08-28-2014, 04:27 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,716
The K-3 is better in just about every respect than my K-5 IIs, but the trump card is the ergonomics. The button placement, the AF and metering settings, the grip, the weight, the size are just perfect for me. I love the increased headroom for cropping telephoto shots, I might find the FluCard tethering useful one day, the shutter sound is lovely and the burst rate is useful, but they are all secondary to the ergonomics. The AF is pretty impressive too
08-28-2014, 05:51 AM   #34
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
I love the IQ, and I am glad I have the K3. I am amazed at how well-lit group photos of tens of a subjects render each person in quality which many would accept as a portrait. I shot with a friend who uses the Canon 5D III, and the only place where the FF Canon shone was at high ISO, where his 1600 could be my 400. Most of the time, that was more than offset by not having a massive FF lens attached.

Thankfully, I have not had the mirror flap yet, but I agree the P-TTL shutter lag is still annoyance. I reach for the K5II, or even the K20d for a P-TTL shot.

08-28-2014, 06:02 AM   #35
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 121
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I love the IQ, and I am glad I have the K3. I am amazed at how well-lit group photos of tens of a subjects render each person in quality which many would accept as a portrait. I shot with a friend who uses the Canon 5D III, and the only place where the FF Canon shone was at high ISO, where his 1600 could be my 400. Most of the time, that was more than offset by not having a massive FF lens attached.

Thankfully, I have not had the mirror flap yet, but I agree the P-TTL shutter lag is still annoyance. I reach for the K5II, or even the K20d for a P-TTL shot.
My main interest in the K3 is for sports photos. I hate shutter lag. Is it going to be an issue?
08-28-2014, 06:12 AM   #36
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
My main interest in the K3 is for sports photos. I hate shutter lag. Is it going to be an issue?
Not at all if you don't use a flash in P-TTL mode.
08-28-2014, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lyngby, Copenhagen
Photos: Albums
Posts: 742
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The K-3 is better in just about every respect than my K-5 IIs, but the trump card is the ergonomics. The button placement, the AF and metering settings, the grip, the weight, the size are just perfect for me.
So far, I feel the opposite way about the K-3 ergonomics. I love the results from the camera, but I really miss the metering switch and the two AF switches on the K-5.
I understand why the changes in operation were necessary because of the more complex AF system. It's just a step backwards for me.

I also don't like the increased weight and bulk. I have small hands and skinny arms, you see.

Other disappointments:
The P-TTL shutter lag makes me miss more "decisive moment" shots with flash. You need to press the shutter well in advance of the anticipated action.
The "early shutter penalty" thing (can't fire rapidly in succession in single shot mode). Workaround: burst mode on medium speed.
You can't crop down to less than 3MP in camera. The K-5 let you crop way more.
Battery life is also worse than the K-5 but that's no surprise. I knew and expected that.



AF is improved in all ways, IQ is improved (really sharp shots!), processing speed is improved, P-TTL flash is improved.


All in all the positives outweigh the negatives, but there are definitely some negatives for me.

Regards,
--Anders.
08-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #38
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,434
QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote


Which cameras offer 11fps? I didn't even know that was possible. The last I left off was with film Nikons and a motor drive. Back then we had to lock up the mirror for far less than 8fps
in Dx mode a couple Nikons can get to 11fps

08-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #39
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 121
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
in Dx mode a couple Nikons can get to 11fps

I looked it up. (At least for the D610) It looks like DX mode reduces the mp to 10.


Does the K3 do 8fps at a full 24mp?
08-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #40
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,329
QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
I looked it up. (At least for the D610) It looks like DX mode reduces the mp to 10.


Does the K3 do 8fps at a full 24mp?
Yes it does.
08-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #41
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 121
Original Poster
I heard it mentioned here about using a crop sensor to get closer to the subject and not have to crop the FF. There may be something to that. I had the chance to test 3 cams. A FF 24mp Leica M240, Fuji X 16mp and Pentax K01. I used 200mm lenses on them. The Fuji and K01 were pretty close in IQ. The M240 didn't look as good when the image was blown up to match the scale of the crop sensor cams. The Leica FF 24mp sensor outdid the Fuji and K01 when I moved 50% closer to the subject to make the subject in the viewfinder match the size the crop camera normally gives. Maybe I should have used a 300mm on the Leica to match the 200mm on the crop cams?


I don't know what this all means exactly as far as comparing apples to apples. But on the surface if you plan to crop a FF to match a crop sensor it seems that it may lose something in translation. Now, Leica is not the best sensor in the world. Maybe the king Nikon does better. But then you are talking a lot more mp. And I don't want to carry around that monster anyway.


I saw some bird pix here under the K3 thread. They were super sharp. Very, very impressive. The only thing I wish the K3 had was a shutter dial with an A setting. I prefer old school manual controls.
08-29-2014, 12:11 AM   #42
Veteran Member
robjmitchell's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne Aus
Posts: 1,147
I went from K7 to K3 so I'm enjoying the improvements!
I could see the value in a pentax FF for the wide end and using my 43ltd, But I would probably be happy enough with a 2nd K3 and HD 16-50/2.8 if one came out.
08-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #43
Pentaxian
FreeSpirit9's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Queensland, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 358
I Love my K5 and am not looking at an upgrade for quite some time.

My advice echos what Adam said. Go for the K3.
08-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #44
Veteran Member
raider's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,939
Like my k3. Not moving away or to ff anytime soon.
08-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #45
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 401
The K-3 is a great tool and I'm more than happy with mine.

I would love a Pentax FF as well (with same features as the K-3), but I'm not moving to another maker yet. Too much money involved in running two systems (or selling up and moving totally).
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, amazon, camera, couple, drop, dslr, ff, filter, guess, k-3, k3, k5, lenses, model, modes, pentax, pentax k-3, pm, post, price, product, ricoh, steve, user, value, view
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Many Times Has PF Helped You? rbefly Photographic Technique 45 03-10-2015 04:45 AM
Anyone worked out the write speed yet? DogLover Pentax K-3 9 11-05-2013 08:01 AM
How do you show your portfolio out in the field? slackercruster Photographic Technique 10 07-07-2012 08:09 AM
How my morning worked out today... littledrawe Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 08-04-2011 02:03 AM
How do you pass the time when your camera's out for repair? v5planet Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 02-18-2011 10:04 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:44 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top