Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K-3 is a clear step up from the K-5, for me. As with every Pentax body since my original *istD, the increased sensor resolution has created an increased demand on my photographic skills, and an increased opportunity for my lenses, particularly the best ones I have, to show their best capabilities. The K-3 has more in-built features than I've had time to really test. For example, RAW HDR in-camera is a great benefit for working outdoors in strong light and shade, and the Pentax FLUcard for awkward-positioned work, especially in low light. The improved AF hasn't been a big feature for me, because I rarely have a need for it, but it's there if I do. As I've noted elsewhere, the twin SD card slots can be a life-saver if you have a card failure.
I am a possible candidate for a 35mm sensor body, provided it's about the same size and capability of the K-3, but mainly so I can use my nice older K-mount lenses, particularly the FA*s and FA Limiteds, to their fullest capabilities.

11-03-2014, 12:49 AM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The K-3 is a clear step up from the K-5, for me. As with every Pentax body since my original *istD, the increased sensor resolution has created an increased demand on my photographic skills, and an increased opportunity for my lenses, particularly the best ones I have, to show their best capabilities. The K-3 has more in-built features than I've had time to really test. For example, RAW HDR in-camera is a great benefit for working outdoors in strong light and shade, and the Pentax FLUcard for awkward-positioned work, especially in low light. The improved AF hasn't been a big feature for me, because I rarely have a need for it, but it's there if I do. As I've noted elsewhere, the twin SD card slots can be a life-saver if you have a card failure.
I am a possible candidate for a 35mm sensor body, provided it's about the same size and capability of the K-3, but mainly so I can use my nice older K-mount lenses, particularly the FA*s and FA Limiteds, to their fullest capabilities.
Succinct as usual Rob. I sometimes wonder if there really is a difference between film and CMOS sensor results with the older lens designs. I will lurk on the sidelines as far as FF is concerned.

David
11-03-2014, 07:50 AM   #93
Inactive Account

K3 rocks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
Are you sticking with the K3 or moving to another maker for FF?
Sticking with the K3 for SURE! It has so many advanced features that are USEFUL! I am having a blast learning how to use them!
11-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #94

Love my K-3 so far. Still learning some of the finer points. I upgraded from the K-x and have no desire to pick the K-x up again. I gave it to my husband.

11-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TraciA Quote
Love my K-3 so far. Still learning some of the finer points. I upgraded from the K-x and have no desire to pick the K-x up again. I gave it to my husband.
I upgraded from the K-x too and gave it to my 13yr old daughter along with some old manual lenses.
If my house was burning down, I'd go back in to rescue my K-3 and my daughter has progressed so quickly that I'm slowly handing over all my good lenses.
Attached Images

11-03-2014, 04:14 PM   #96

I never had a Pentax, but I want a K-3. The bad thing is that now I am thinking about something I've read here. This model is one year old now.
I don't need a full frame, but I'm really thinking about the future upgrade of K-3. Tell me if I am wrong! I want a new dslr, but I don't want to wait for it 9 months...
11-03-2014, 04:30 PM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by semaca Quote
I never had a Pentax, but I want a K-3. The bad thing is that now I am thinking about something I've read here. This model is one year old now.
I don't need a full frame, but I'm really thinking about the future upgrade of K-3. Tell me if I am wrong! I want a new dslr, but I don't want to wait for it 9 months...
With the recent price drop for the K-3, I'm suspecting a refresh will appear either in the next couple of weeks (for Xmas) or failing that some time in the New Year, but I'd bet on the latter, if I was a betting man.

11-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #98
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Remember that the K-3 is well tested and any new camera will need time before you can be sure is it as reliable as the K-3.

11-03-2014, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #99
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-3 is one year old, which in Pentaxland means that it is less than half way throught its life cycle. There will be an eventual successor model, but whether it is will represent a significant upgrade is pure speculation. What I would suggest is that you consider the K-3's features and value prospect and buy one if it meets your needs. If not, I suggest you evaluate the competitors product with the same intent.

Once you buy, concentrate on using and enjoying your purchase. If there is a "pain" spot, it will be apparent in the first year or so of ownership and even then, it may be a couple of years before Pentax or the competition has a model that better meets your needs. For example, I bought my K10D in 2007 and it was another seven years before I felt there was sufficient value in the available product to warrant an upgrade. The K-3 delivered in spades.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-03-14 at 06:32 PM ----------

With the recent price drop for the K-3, I'm suspecting a refresh will appear either in the next couple of weeks (for Xmas) or failing that some time in the New Year, but I'd bet on the latter, if I was a betting man.
A price drop in advance of a new model to clear inventory is usually not done until a new camera is announced. That being said, if there is to be a new product in the very near future, it would be a single aspect upgrade to something like a K-3v with enhanced video capabilities or something similar. I would not expect anything like tilt-LCD or wi-fi.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-03-2014 at 07:32 PM.
11-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My feeling is the K-3 has another full year in actual production before a replacement. There are other priorities that should come first - K50 replacement; 645 lenses; the rumored FF (which I think is real this time); a new GR (two-year product cycle); K-mount lenses (possibly many of them is the FF is real); etc.

I think the price drop in part reflects extending the life of the product and in part reflects the strong dollar versus the Yen (the dollar may continue to rise versus many currencies for several years).
11-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #101
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Well, I have a K5 classic and now the K3. The K3 takes a bit of an adjustment, really only a few days but once you've worked it out the K3 is a stellar performer.
For me, the downsides against the K5 classic are:

- Its lost the monochrome digital filter that I really liked using;
It has a "Monochrome Bold" filter, that you can tweak to your liking if you press the info button when you select the filter. You might be able to replicate what you are missing!

---------- Post added 11-03-14 at 09:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote

Extra's I think Ricoh need to work on:

- A white paper on how to use and benefit from using the K3's new AF options;
It's not exactly a "white paper" but maybe this will help: Feature 2?K-3 | RICOH IMAGING

---------- Post added 11-03-14 at 09:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bulldogface Quote
Happy with K-3. Truth to be said, so I was with K-x i had before. And while most of my Canon/Nikon mates are banging about their FF systems, I can't see a point for me somehow..But I still hope Pentax would release one, so I'll be able to scoop some crop lenses for cheap
Ditto!

---------- Post added 11-03-14 at 09:23 PM ----------

Why wait? You could be enjoying it IMMENSELY for those 9 months!
11-04-2014, 04:57 AM   #102

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxaholic Quote
Why wait? You could be enjoying it IMMENSELY for those 9 months!
My plan was to save some money and maybe sell my two lenses (i am using nikon since 2008) and get the Pentax K-3 and 18-135 at first (is it good enough for landscapes?) The bad thing is that all my "photo mates" have nikon and they have no idea what K-3 is capable to do.

Maybe this Christimas I should be my own Santa Claus.
11-04-2014, 05:55 AM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, get the K3 so you can show them how good it is. If you can swing the extra money for a used DA*50-135 or DA*16-50 the pictures will be even more impressive. Not everyone has SDM issues and they can always be converted to screw drive. I love the quality and range they give me.
11-04-2014, 07:40 AM   #104
Inactive Account

Be your own Santa Claus!

My plan was to save some money and maybe sell my two lenses (i am using nikon since 2008) and get the Pentax K-3 and 18-135 at first (is it good enough for landscapes?) The bad thing is that all my "photo mates" have nikon and they have no idea what K-3 is capable to do.

Maybe this Christimas I should be my own Santa Claus.
I like the manual SMC prime lenses for landscape, such as 28mm, 35mm
I also use the DA 40mm f2.8
They are always sharp edge to edge and fast!

As for your "photo mates"- DARE to be DIFFERENT! You'll probably BLOW THEM AWAY!
11-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #105

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxaholic Quote
I like the manual SMC prime lenses for landscape, such as 28mm, 35mm
I also use the DA 40mm f2.8
They are always sharp edge to edge and fast!

As for your "photo mates"- DARE to be DIFFERENT! You'll probably BLOW THEM AWAY!
I think i'm a bit offtopic, but is 28mm wide enough for landscapes? I was thinking about tamron 17-50.