Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #46

Very happy....excellent quality.

08-30-2014, 01:20 AM   #47
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
'Full frame' is the 645

After eight months with my K-3, I'm very pleased. I've not experienced the 'mirror flap' issue, and have kept up to date with the firmware (currently v1.11).

I would likely sell the K-3 to buy a 36x24mm sensor body to attach to the 'three amigos' (31, 43, 77), but the "full frame" debate finished four-and-a-half years ago with the 645D, and now the 645z re-affirms that situation.
08-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #48

I pre-ordered mine so I've had one since it came out. I'm happy- but not enthused. I upgraded from the K-5 so, while the K-3 has many enhancements that are great (such as focus peaking, more focus points, etc), I was disappointed that the high ISO performance above 1600 wasn't markedly better than the K-5. I know there's been a ton of discussion about that with the megapixel resolution difference but it still leaves me a bit....meh.

It's a solid camera, though, and I don't regret purchasing it.
08-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Thingo Quote
but the "full frame" debate finished four-and-a-half years ago with the 645D, and now the 645z re-affirms that situation.
Interesting.

09-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #50
Forum Member

The K-3 is currently my favorite digital camera, and the one I use the most at work and on my off time. I wouldn't trade it for anything out there so far.

I don't understand why digital cameras can't have a flash meter though, it seems like it would be such a simple software thing.

The only thing I don't like about the K-3 is it seems to be TOO good for many of the cheaper DA lenses. I find myself relying on the old SMC-A's at work which sucks because I really like the K-3's auto focusing abilities.
09-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love mine and forgive its extra weight because I can crop to nearly 100% for small birds taken from too far away, and still have reasonable feather details. And be pretty confident that the autofocus does just that where I want it to!
09-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chimpwithagun Quote

I don't understand why digital cameras can't have a flash meter though, it seems like it would be such a simple software thing.

That is a novel idea, how would it work? They have flash and metering, do you mean something else? Maybe combine it with in camera focus stacking

Last edited by beachgardener; 09-08-2014 at 08:35 PM. Reason: add to question
09-08-2014, 10:44 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've only had my K-3 since May, and I'm pretty pleased with it, having come from a K20D and earlier a K100D. I still like the K100D for its simpler controls, and actually I use only a fairly narrow set of the K-3 features. But that's ok because they're the features I want to use! I will echo one comment above that it's all too easy to change settings inadvertently while carrying and handling the camera.

The FF thing has partly been answered by the 645D and Z, and those have been tempting since I have a bunch of 645 and 67 lenses. I'm in no hurry for FF in the smaller K-3 size camera as long as the resolution is as high as it is, and without the AA filter... and with shake reduction!

A few weeks after getting the K-3 I took it for a road trip vacation south along the east side of the Cascades and Sierras, and back north on the west side. I took only the 31 and 43mm lenses, which worked out well. Over the summer I have been using it more than expected.
09-08-2014, 11:30 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had the K3 for about a year now, and also added a D800 along the way for a specific purpose....but the camera I carry all the time is the K3, I think its more of "familiar" thing than anything else. Although I am warming to the Nikon, I now wish I had held off and gone with the 645.
09-09-2014, 01:24 AM   #55
Forum Member

I have come to k-3 from k100d super. Always have been a pentax fan. Love the versality of this camera and features in small compact body. Really great to carry all around.
09-09-2014, 05:33 AM   #56
Veteran Member

How much do I like my K-3? I no longer own any Nikon or Canon gear...
09-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chimpwithagun Quote
You mean something like P-TTL?

Steve
09-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I love my K3, even though I've had the mirror flop. They didn't mention AF in the last firmware update, but I was shooting all week with the 1.11 and I'm reviewing the results now. Great AF lock!

Although FF is very tempting to me, I simply can't handle a heavier camera. I'd love to see Pentax make a lightweight FF camera with their usual ergonomic talents... in about 3 years when I can squeeze in another body upgrade!
09-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #59

Original Poster
My choice will be for a K3 or a Fuji XT1. I have lenses for both systems. My main use will be for sports and action. The Fuji XT1 is supposed to be fast AF. Do you think the K3 is comparable for AF? I have numerous Fuji XE1's. The AF is OK, but under tough lighting it is poor.

I would use Pentax-DA* 60-250mm F4 ED [IF] SDM zoom on the K3 unless there is a faster AF zoom. How would these 2 camera choices compare for sports use?
09-10-2014, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #60
Forum Member

My experience (amateur) with the XT1 was very good...except when using continuous focus with erratic motion. Even with auto review turned off the last exposure appears for a fraction of a second. At 8fps I only saw the last exposure so I had a hard time following any unpredictable motion. @3fps there is enough time between shots to see the live action. So I kept the Xe2 (which can do 3fps predictive anyway) and bought a K3 to go along with my DA*60-250. For me much much better than the XT1 for action. The other bothersome thing for me was that in continuous mode the XT1 is constantly hunting focus - so you don't see a still image in the viewfinder. But you can definitely trust it!

I would highly recommend you try it out before you commit to the Xt1 for action/sports.

john