Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Moved up from a K-x, very happy with the K-3.
I currently have a K-x and love it, but I am looking at moving up to the K-3. Can you comment on they compare in high ISO (I thought I read somewhere that the K-3 was actually a little worse in high ISO than the K-x?), DR, and focus speed? My typical set up is either my Tamron 17-50 2.8 or my Sigma 50-150 2.8, although I will pull out the 55-300 from time to time.

09-10-2014, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gebco Quote
I currently have a K-x and love it, but I am looking at moving up to the K-3. Can you comment on they compare in high ISO (I thought I read somewhere that the K-3 was actually a little worse in high ISO than the K-x?), DR, and focus speed? My typical set up is either my Tamron 17-50 2.8 or my Sigma 50-150 2.8, although I will pull out the 55-300 from time to time.
It's not. High ISO is on par with the k-5. I had a k-x, and I have a k-30, k-01, and k-3. Focus speed is great. With my k-x, the Tamron 70-200 was a bit slow and not great for moving objects. It's pretty damn fast on my k-3 now.
09-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Awesome camera. I own three of them and use them for all my professional work.
No problems whatsoever. Perfect camera.
09-11-2014, 03:14 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chimpwithagun Quote

I don't understand why digital cameras can't have a flash meter though, it seems like it would be such a simple software thing.
On a film camera, very little is happening electronically during exposure. Therefore you can meter flash exposure better. in the olden days, TTL metering works by a small sensor looking at light on the film at the moment of exposure.

A DSLR is a totally different animal. Electronically, there is a ton of stuff going on at the moment of exposure. Metering is done before exposure for this reason. Accepting and then processing megabytes of data in a tiny fraction of a second is a pretty intense activity. To be able to analyze light on the sensor and them feed back this information to the flash at the same time is pretty hard to do.

Even in the good old days of film, I usually relied on the sensor on the flash to do the work for me. It's just a simpler and for me, a better way to do it.

09-11-2014, 09:13 AM   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Even in the good old days of film, I usually relied on the sensor on the flash to do the work for me. It's just a simpler and for me, a better way to do it.
I too prefer to use an on-flash sensor with my K-3. I wish more modern flashes offered that option, but for now my AF280T does quite nicely and even provides a good amount of automation with modern Pentax cameras.

Steve
09-11-2014, 02:07 PM - 2 Likes   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Awesome camera. I own three of them and use them for all my professional work.
No problems whatsoever. Perfect camera.
Well, except for what is on the back of the camera, but I fixed that.

09-12-2014, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pavel_Zhelev Quote
K3 is so far the best APS-C I ever owned. I am not changing it for a FF.
Same hear!

09-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #68
Banned

I sold my K-3 today. No love from it and K-5 Silver and K-01 Yellow do bring the goods for me!
09-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I sold my K-3 today
Really! I'm surprised. Why?
09-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #70
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Really! I'm surprised. Why?
Not to impressed by the benefits form the K-3. The large files are not helping in sports. The faster AF is not to needed for me. More love for K-01/K-5.
09-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Not to impressed by the benefits form the K-3. The large files are not helping in sports. The faster AF is not to needed for me. More love for K-01/K-5.
I have to admit the AF upgrade hasn't blown me away but I figured I'm just not sufficiently sophisticated to appreciate it.
09-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #72
Pentaxian

I have to admit the AF upgrade hasn't blown me away but I figured I'm just not sufficiently sophisticated to appreciate it.
Wow, I was VERY impressed with the improvement in AF in the K3 compared with the K5, and the improved sharpness coming from the 24Mpx and the removal of the AA filter. Both my son and I have recently returned from (separate) trips to Europe, where we took hundreds of shots between us, me with a K3 and he with a K30, and there was hardly a missed focus amongst them. That didn't happen with the K5.
09-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Wow, I was VERY impressed with the improvement in AF in the K3 compared with the K5, and the improved sharpness coming from the 24Mpx and the removal of the AA filter. Both my son and I have recently returned from (separate) trips to Europe, where we took hundreds of shots between us, me with a K3 and he with a K30, and there was hardly a missed focus amongst them. That didn't happen with the K5.
As I say, I'm not very sophisticated: for sports, I shoot AF-S with center spot focusing and rarely more than 1 frame/second. OTOH, I used to be a mega-pixel skeptic but have really come to appreciate the enhance cropping room--for sports and wildlife. If a shot is missed, I chalk it up to user error.
09-25-2014, 01:37 AM   #74
Banned

As I say, I'm not very sophisticated: for sports, I shoot AF-S with center spot focusing and rarely more than 1 frame/second. OTOH, I used to be a mega-pixel skeptic but have really come to appreciate the enhance cropping room--for sports and wildlife. If a shot is missed, I chalk it up to user error.
I'm not so in the cropping. I like to stay close at my subject so I don't do much cropping. I'm Always glad things even fit in my image.
10-19-2014, 05:53 AM   #75
Forum Member

Nomadkng- I agree with locks on the front and rear dials, or making them harder to turn. I have the same problem.