Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Might be a bit early to say as I have only owned it for one week so far, but coming from the K-r it's an absolutely massive improvement. I don't know how much of that can be attributed to the K3 as a particular camera or just to switching to a semi-pro model, but I already love this camera. And never planned to go FF anyway.

10-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #77

I bought an RX100II around a year ago, but wanted a DSLR as well. I bought the K-3 around April and have absolutely adored it. Zero issues, it shoots great photos, and I feel like a bit "unique" being able to explain to people why I chose a Pentax over a CaNikon. 10/10 would buy again.
10-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Got the Silver Limited Edition from another buddy who had moved to FF Nikon and was initially upset that all my AF lenses had to be tuned. Now I am loving the fast response from the K3 as my DA*16-50/2.8 has been converted to screw drive.
10-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bought a K-30 two years ago

10-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #80
Pentaxian

The k3 is the first dslr that I don't find something lacking.... the k7 had it's noise issues; the k2000 was, well, pretty entry-level (though I got some great shots with it); the k5 had it's AF issues and the live view was clunky; I liked the k01 all around, except no VF or weathersealing.....
It's nice, I don't really foresee a need to upgrade for a long, long time.
10-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I have a K5 classic and now the K3. The K3 takes a bit of an adjustment, really only a few days but once you've worked it out the K3 is a stellar performer.

For me the AF is noticeably faster than the K5. The relatively unheralded DA17-70 is actually quite pleasant to use now and even focusses at 70mm, its noted weakness.

I can also use the outside focus points on either side (left or right) in tungsten lighting. This was a first. I gave up using these focus points in tungsten lighting on the K5 classic and I was stunned that it actually worked on the K3. A revelation and actually useful.

I also hated waiting for files to save on the K5. The K3 is substantially faster to save and it actually feels like 2014 now!

For me, the downsides against the K5 classic are:
- reduced dynamic range at base iso (the K5 is a landmark 14EV at iso 80 according to DXO that is better than most full frames);
- Its lost the monochrome digital filter that I really liked using;
- The 60gms extra weight vs K5 is noticeable initially but liveable after getting used to it.

Future improvements I would like:
- Native wifi;
- AF points spread further across the frame;
- Even faster AF (although it might be the lens holding it back currently)
- Even better dynamic range and noise control (limited by Sony R&D really)
- Improved movie mode (not that I use it. I might though if I knew it was better).
- Ability to record verbal notes (cheap to implement but a useful point of interest for marketing)

Extra's for K mount not related to the K3 camera that I think Ricoh need to work on:
- A coherent and logical lens lineup (maybe a consumer WR line, DC applied to all new lenses, small compact line, elite or fast aperture lens lineup);
- A white paper on how to use and benefit from using the K3's new AF options;
- At least one camera model with a vari-angle LCD;
- Sponsor some professionals and use them in marketing material
10-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
- A white paper on how to use and benefit from using the K3's new AF options;
Excellent suggestion! In fact, this applies to a broad range of functions as well. The manual only tells you how to do this or that--not why you might want to use that function.

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
- At least one camera model with a vari-angle LCD;
Agree--I don't understand the hang-up.

10-24-2014, 09:31 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Agree - I don't understand the hang-up.
Could it possibly impede on the weather sealing?
10-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #84

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I doubt it since the 645Z has the articulating screen and is weather sealed. I suspect whatever replaces the K-3 will have the articulating screen since they've already done it with the 645Z.
10-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I can't believe that's an issue.
10-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #86

I have had my K3 for just over a year; I am very happy and not looking at other things currently, too busy enjoying taking photographs I say not looking at other things ... what I mean is other camera bodies. Lenses .. oh boy have been looking at those. Currently there are other high cost projects in the house and a new lens will not get authorised by the financial director :-/

I don't get stressed out about not having a FF but if Pentax do bring out a FF I would be telling a fib if I were to say I wasn't interested; of course it would get my attention even if I can't afford it.

BTW I had .. still have a Sony Alpha A580 which I used for a number of years but it doesn't get out much these days unless my niece is around.
11-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #87
Forum Member

Happy with K-3. Truth to be said, so I was with K-x i had before. And while most of my Canon/Nikon mates are banging about their FF systems, I can't see a point for me somehow..But I still hope Pentax would release one, so I'll be able to scoop some crop lenses for cheap
11-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is absolutely the best camera I have ever owned. Once I got used to high density sensor I have loved it. I agree with those who say that even a FF will have to have something pretty special to lure me away from the K3 any time soon.
11-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
Are you sticking with the K3 or moving to another maker for FF?
I have two K3s, use them continually and am more than happy with the results. I have no interest in FF.

David
11-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #90
Veteran Member

the k3 is state of the art.....I couldnt ask it do anything else....the only way I would upgrade at this point is to go 645 medium format......