Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have put my K3 away for the time being. I'm not going to sell it, but I can no longer manage its weight. I've always been delighted with the results I got from it when I wasn't struggling with the weight.

Since I can't handle the K3, there is no way I could handle a full frame camera. Instead I accidentally bought a much lighter camera that does almost all that I want and I'm getting better, more consistent results from it, even though I've only had it since Friday.

The K3 is a marvelous camera but not for me.

11-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In answer to the original question, it has worked out very well. It has, among other things, restored my comfort with APS-C.
11-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I have put my K3 away for the time being. I'm not going to sell it, but I can no longer manage its weight. I've always been delighted with the results I got from it when I wasn't struggling with the weight.

Since I can't handle the K3, there is no way I could handle a full frame camera. Instead I accidentally bought a much lighter camera that does almost all that I want and I'm getting better, more consistent results from it, even though I've only had it since Friday.

The K3 is a marvelous camera but not for me.

Sorry to hear. I have similar issues with weight. If the Pentax FF is bigger than the K3 (as it will be with a traditional design), I won't be getting one. I need small lenses now; no bit zooms or long lenses in my future.

Which camera did you get?
11-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #109
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by semaca Quote
I think i'm a bit offtopic, but is 28mm wide enough for landscapes? I was thinking about tamron 17-50.
For most landscapes, I find it wide enough. I do a lot of panoramas, so not too concerned about a really wide view, concerned more with sharpness.
Whatever suits your taste and gives you the outcome you desire is the right choice for you. Sometimes with the above mentioned lenses I feel a million miles away and have to get in closer to crop the view to my liking. Really depends on what you are trying to compose.

11-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #110
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have also been considering using panoramas instead of wide angles. For many purposes the panoramas are as good or better than a wide angle.
11-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
Sorry to hear. I have similar issues with weight. If the Pentax FF is bigger than the K3 (as it will be with a traditional design), I won't be getting one. I need small lenses now; no bit zooms or long lenses in my future.

Which camera did you get?
I accidentally ordered a K-S1, then decided to keep it. It has certainly impressed me with the image quality. Either the SR is better or the fact it is so much lighter than the K3 but I had very little camera shake, even when the shutter speeds were longer than what I normally can hand-hold. I am not going to use anything heavier than the FA31, though I might try the DA 55-300 at some later time. So far it seems to be working well for me and photography is fun again. I hope that continues. I have a pretty decent selection of lenses I can use - DA 10-17, SMC 24mm f2.8, FA 31, DA 35 Macro, FA77 and a silver DA40 arriving on Thursday. So far all of my (non-photography) friends think it looks great.
11-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How is it working out? I got second place in a local Vegas magazine's photo contest with it. So not too bad

11-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #113
Pentaxian

I accidentally ordered a K-S1, then decided to keep it. It has certainly impressed me with the image quality. Either the SR is better or the fact it is so much lighter than the K3 but I had very little camera shake, even when the shutter speeds were longer than what I normally can hand-hold. I am not going to use anything heavier than the FA31, though I might try the DA 55-300 at some later time. So far it seems to be working well for me and photography is fun again. I hope that continues. I have a pretty decent selection of lenses I can use - DA 10-17, SMC 24mm f2.8, FA 31, DA 35 Macro, FA77 and a silver DA40 arriving on Thursday. So far all of my (non-photography) friends think it looks great.
Accidentally!? What did you think you were ordering?
11-04-2014, 10:52 PM - 2 Likes   #114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Accidentally!? What did you think you were ordering?
I didn't think I was ordering anything. I was thinking seriously about ordering it, and was checking prices at B&H, Adorama and Amazon, but had just decided to wait until Black Friday before buying it, to make sure that I REALLY wanted it. I was at work and using my personal iPad. Someone came into the office and I fumbled a bit as I was quickly trying to put the iPad away, feeling very noble that I was not going to buy the camera right now. When I got home that evening there was an email from Amazon saying "thank you for your order." I had 1-click turned on and must have accidentally hit that button when I was fumbling. After sleeping on it for a night, I decided the old saying was correct - "a camera in the hand is worth two in the store" and decided to keep the camera rather than returning it.
11-05-2014, 12:39 AM   #115
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't think I was ordering anything. I was thinking seriously about ordering it, and was checking prices at B&H, Adorama and Amazon, but had just decided to wait until Black Friday before buying it, to make sure that I REALLY wanted it. I was at work and using my personal iPad. Someone came into the office and I fumbled a bit as I was quickly trying to put the iPad away, feeling very noble that I was not going to buy the camera right now. When I got home that evening there was an email from Amazon saying "thank you for your order." I had 1-click turned on and must have accidentally hit that button when I was fumbling. After sleeping on it for a night, I decided the old saying was correct - "a camera in the hand is worth two in the store" and decided to keep the camera rather than returning it.

Excellent!
11-05-2014, 12:50 AM   #116
Veteran Member

I've loved my K3 since getting it at release. I just love holding it. Love the results I can achieve with it, along with some top notch glass.

But recently I've been wanting more. I was hanging on for the FF announcement at Photokina and when it didn't happen I made the decision to change. I also have a suspicion that when the FF does hit it will be middle level specs wise purely to limit the financial shock to existing Pentaxians who seem to be very sensitive to this issue. If I am going FF, I want the best I can get. I don't see a lower level FF will be much better than what the K3 is capable of.

So now I am waiting for my D810, 24-70mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, and the spectacular 14-24mm to arrive after ordering them last week.

I just don't know what to do with my Pentax kit now. Keep some, although I know I will not use it that often? Or sell the lot?
11-05-2014, 06:08 AM   #117
Veteran Member

I accidentally ordered a K-S1, then decided to keep it. It has certainly impressed me with the image quality.

That's good to hear. I was also intrigued by the move to a smaller K mount.
11-05-2014, 06:18 AM   #118
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm also considering selling a couple cameras, K-5 and K-01 to get a KS-1. For the same reason, I carry a lot, but I carry too much. All the sudden my focus is on lightening my load. Weight is great when you can do it, but once you just physically can't do it anymore, every once becomes critical. I'd really like to know about the low light performance of the KS-1 though before I do anything radical. The K-5 and K-01 are exceptional cameras.
11-05-2014, 07:23 AM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
I also have a suspicion that when the FF does hit it will be middle level specs wise purely to limit the financial shock to existing Pentaxians who seem to be very sensitive to this issue.
You're probably right, Pentax won't throw out something worth $3,000 or more. At the same time, I doubt it'll be something as 'castrated' as the Canon 6D. It'll come out at least 2 years after the release of the K3, it'll be the flag ship model and get all the specs Pentax has to offer, so take the FF factor and add to that a couple of years of technological advancement and I'm pretty sure you'll get something considerably better than the already great K3

The Nikon D810 of course is in a different league and I'm sure you'll be very happy with it - it must be called the best DSLR there is for a reason

QuoteQuote:
I just don't know what to do with my Pentax kit now. Keep some, although I know I will not use it that often? Or sell the lot?
If you can afford not to sell it, either keep it as a second system (lighter and you can let friends or family use it occasionally) or sell the K3 and all your APS-C lenses and keep the FF lenses for when Pentax actually releases a FF.
11-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #120
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
I just don't know what to do with my Pentax kit now. Keep some, although I know I will not use it that often?
If you can manage the double camera investment, why not wait and see how the Nikon kit grows on you? You know, after the honeymoon is over, so to speak. Lots of people report still revisiting their Pentax kit even after "going FF".

Regards,
--Anders.