Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2014, 02:45 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What does this even mean?

Okay, this is probably the worst possible thread in which to make my first post, but what the heck does this even mean?
Is it even possible for a digital sensor to "outresolve" an analog input?
To my mind: a lens has an analog output, and it is what it is.
This is not a question of quality: this is not a matter of great vs. crummy lenses, or even whether the lens was focused; the lens takes in, modifies, and then outputs electromagnetic radiation.
The digital sensor (and, for that matter film, glass plate, gelatin, daguerreotype, eye, or any other currently known recording medium) approximately records this input within its capabilities.
But there is always loss. There is always a finite number of grains, pixels, cones, rods, and also a limit of sensitivity.
Aside from any wavelengths the lens absorbs, everything is transmitted. What more is there for the sensor to "resolve"?

10-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by QuartermasterJames Quote
what the heck does this even mean?
As I understand it, In the earlier days of digital, cameras were a limiting factor in terms of resolution, unable to make full use of the resolution of which high quality lenses could deliver. The current generation of cameras (ie, the K-3) has resolution capabilities which exceed those of many lenses.

There is, of course another factor in the resolution equation: the person who takes and processes the photograph.