Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2015, 01:44 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I certainly wouldn't go back to a K5. A K5 II maybe.

Frankly the operating speed of the K5's is too slow. I was trying to do some wildlife shots with my K3 and K5 as my backup. Well, in the end I just kept changing lenses and kept using the K3. The extra AF points and better AF make a world of difference. As well as not waiting forever for files to save to the memory card. The flash exposures are also consistent now.

I also like having a wifi card in the 2nd sd card slot so I can send off photo's to Facebook relatively easily while still having a superfast card in slot 1.

Long live the K3. I think it will end up as a classic like the K5. Once you move its hard going back.

Howie B

06-28-2015, 07:20 AM   #77
Forum Member

A bit surprised that no one mentioned that the K3 (& II) are rated for 200,000 actuations, vs 50,000 for the K5 series...
06-28-2015, 09:40 PM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chicagojohn Quote
Since I started this tread, I thought I it appropriate to make this last post. I did return the K3 unopened to B&H who, we all know, are great folks to do business with, and they sent me a K5 IIS which arrived today. This was an actual, real-time decision process during which information came to light that I started out not knowing, or not fully realizing. And as a result of that process, a process which was by no means predetermined, I wound up not buying what I really, truly thought I would be buying when I started the thread. If anyone thinks otherwise, they are wrong. But whatever anyone may think, in departing, I want to thank you all yet again for helping me to gain a clear understanding of the facts and the trade-offs so that I could finally arrive at the right decision for me.

So that said, take care, and have fun.
Its not surprising to me at all. Ive done several more recent models yet keep going back to the K30 for similar reasons. Most important is familiarity of all the functions. I had the K5II but it was a dud right out of the box and locked up so I got the K30as a temporary replacement...... Now own the K3 also yet it gets little use.
Im on my 2nd and 3rd K30 and the K3II is a couple months away for me. Im glad You got what works for You rather than whats supposed to work and be the best for You when it isn't........SMART MOVE !
06-29-2015, 05:55 AM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I did get a K3 last December. Later today the BBTOH (Big Brown Truck Of Happiness) will be dropping off a Pentax 150-450 lens at the house. I am pleased with my K3. I own a K5 and a K5-IIs and I have been happy with them too. I finally went digital in 2012. The K3 focus is definitely better. Focus confirm on my manual focus lenses is definitely better on the K3.

I will probably go full frame because of the viewfinder alone. It should work better with my old eyes and the some Samyang manual focus lenses that are going to be in my future.

09-17-2016, 12:52 PM   #80
Site Supporter

I suspect that Pentax as a brand is in better hands with Ricoh than it was with Hoya. The synergy is greater. Under Ricoh, creativity has been applied with new and different technologies and features. Hoya just wanted access to proprietary Pentax technology. The K1 has lots of new features that hopefully will prove to be worth while and wanted by photographers. Keeping the Pentax brand is likely the plan at Ricoh and is the better course of action. Pentax as a brand name has a much higher appreciation/respect ratio than Ricoh, irrespective as to whether Ricoh ever produced a good camera. Additionally, Canon and Nikon are having severe marketing and volume issues because of their much higher concentration of lower end cameras. The lower end is becoming dominated by smart phones with good cameras in them. Having a smaller line up is not necessarily a bad thing. Less loser models to have to discount or discontinue.

I see a couple of things that I don't particularly personally like but they are not deal breakers. I preferred the raised lettering in the dials. It screamed "Quality"! I don't prefer the tilting screen but this seems to be the wave of the future. I use the viewfinder exclusively. All the new FF lenses appear to be superior products, irrespective as to who manufactured them. As long as they are of the highest quality, I shall continue to pay a premium for them. They are a long term investment. I love my DA*s but my new D FA 150-450 is a beaut and built like a tank. The Pentax brand seems to finally be going all WR and AW, a very good thing that all Pentaxians have wanted for years. Physically, comparing a Pentax to its competition leads the uninitiated and non-prejudiced to the conclusion that the Pentax products are of very high quality and they just feel right in one's hand. People who know basically nothing about DSLRs can tell that you have a good camera if you have a Pentax. This means that the Millennials who do aspire to better photography will consider the brand. Objectively and value wise, it is one of the best products currently in the marketplace. We all just need to hope that Ricoh keeps it that way.

---------- Post added 09-17-16 at 01:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Its not surprising to me at all. Ive done several more recent models yet keep going back to the K30 for similar reasons. Most important is familiarity of all the functions. I had the K5II but it was a dud right out of the box and locked up so I got the K30as a temporary replacement...... Now own the K3 also yet it gets little use.
Im on my 2nd and 3rd K30 and the K3II is a couple months away for me. Im glad You got what works for You rather than whats supposed to work and be the best for You when it isn't........SMART MOVE !
Both the K5 and the K3 are excellent cameras. It is just that technology marches on. I have both and use both regularly and even though in many ways I prefer the K3, there are a few options that the K5 has that have been omitted or reduced in the K3. I have had no problems with either camera body. And now the K3 II has further refinements. I am anxiously awaiting the APS-C version of the K1. I suspect that it will be forthcoming by Christmas or shortly after. But, I could be wrong as I have no insider information. As to other comments about the K5, I have experienced basically all of them but still can work around them. The K3 is definitely better in many regards.

Last edited by Yoda boy; 09-17-2016 at 01:04 PM. Reason: adding info.
09-18-2016, 08:42 AM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by Yoda boy Quote
I suspect that Pentax as a brand is in better hands with Ricoh than it was with Hoya. The synergy is greater. Under Ricoh, creativity has been applied with new and different technologies and features. Hoya just wanted access to proprietary Pentax technology. The K1 has lots of new features that hopefully will prove to be worth while and wanted by photographers. Keeping the Pentax brand is likely the plan at Ricoh and is the better course of action. Pentax as a brand name has a much higher appreciation/respect ratio than Ricoh, irrespective as to whether Ricoh ever produced a good camera. Additionally, Canon and Nikon are having severe marketing and volume issues because of their much higher concentration of lower end cameras. The lower end is becoming dominated by smart phones with good cameras in them. Having a smaller line up is not necessarily a bad thing. Less loser models to have to discount or discontinue.

I see a couple of things that I don't particularly personally like but they are not deal breakers. I preferred the raised lettering in the dials. It screamed "Quality"! I don't prefer the tilting screen but this seems to be the wave of the future. I use the viewfinder exclusively. All the new FF lenses appear to be superior products, irrespective as to who manufactured them. As long as they are of the highest quality, I shall continue to pay a premium for them. They are a long term investment. I love my DA*s but my new D FA 150-450 is a beaut and built like a tank. The Pentax brand seems to finally be going all WR and AW, a very good thing that all Pentaxians have wanted for years. Physically, comparing a Pentax to its competition leads the uninitiated and non-prejudiced to the conclusion that the Pentax products are of very high quality and they just feel right in one's hand. People who know basically nothing about DSLRs can tell that you have a good camera if you have a Pentax. This means that the Millennials who do aspire to better photography will consider the brand. Objectively and value wise, it is one of the best products currently in the marketplace. We all just need to hope that Ricoh keeps it that way.
Now where have I read this before?