Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2014, 03:40 PM   #1

why I will buy a K3

"Will" as in future tense: I have ordered it and once it arrives, there will be a 30 day period of evaluation before I make the final commitment to buy it; hence "will" is an appropriate expression of my intention; and my post is about that. One of the things I do not like about it is superficial; the presence of the "Ricoh" name on the back below the LCD. But then, to paraphrase the bard, "arose" is but the past tense of the past perfect; "to have arisen", (yet smells as sweet). And even if the company name is now Pentax-free, at least those having their picture taken by a K3 or a K5 would see our favorite word, "Pentax", and remain oblivious to the Ricoh connection we must endure.

But more importantly, I did not like learning about all the problems early-adopter, fellow pentaxians have reported with the K3: That was by far the more important determinant of my decision not to buy; to stay with the K5 technology that I've loved for the past four years; the known knows versus the known unknowns, not to mention the yet unknown unknowns. So I initially opted to pick up a K5 iis at the lower prices they are now selling for.

But after thoughtful review of the potential positives versus the actual-to-date negatives, I decided to take a minimal risk in favor of the upsides, primarily of new APS-C with 1.5X the sensors, a bit depth of 14 (4X the dynamic range discrimination of the K5 in each of the three channels), along with the absence of a physical AA filter, and a few other, relatively minor things.

I'll have 30 days to decide whether or not to buy this or go to a K5 iis instead, and I am hoping that V 1.11 will help me make that decision in favor of the K3.

The root cause for all of this, of course is the $3000+ I have invested in some of the best lenses I've ever had; that and, God help me, brand loyalty to the name Pentax which goes back to my first 35mm camera, the K1000. Old habits die hard; especially the older we get.

09-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
By all accounts, the K-3 is a fantastic camera. I'm holding out for the new FF! (Yes, I know that's wishful thinking)
09-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
By all accounts, the K-3 is a fantastic camera. I'm holding out for the new FF! (Yes, I know that's wishful thinking)
What would a pentaxian be without wishful thinking?
09-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chicagojohn Quote
the presence of the "Ricoh" name on the back below the LCD.
You are in the wrong thread if you want to complain about that, there is one completely devoted to it.
I have owned and used extensively the k-x, k-5, k-5IIs and k-3 and can say unequivocally that the k-3 is by far the best them. Not necessarily in image quality as I have produced salable images from all of them. But in fit/finish, useability, workmanship, features, ergonomics and so on it just plain works.

I did not like learning about all the problems early-adopter, fellow pentaxians have reported with the K3
Personally I think this was 99% FUD, the k-3 has been the most trouble free camera released by Pentax in recent memory. Not saying there have been no problems, but very minor compared to the almost disastrous k-5 release, and on going issues that were never solved.

Anyway I hope you love the k-3 as much as I do, it is a serious camera built to work all day. And if the Ricoh thing bothers you, we have a solution, it's called gaffers tape. Personally I think having Ricoh in charge is the best thing to happen to Pentax in about 10 years. But that's just my opinion.

09-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the presence of the "Ricoh" name on the back below the LCD
Most importantly, when my eye is on the viewfinder of my K-3 I can't even tell the Ricoh is there.
09-03-2014, 05:14 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will we be having cheese in this thread?
09-03-2014, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Will we be having cheese in this thread?
Can`t have cheese without bacon.

09-03-2014, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here you go:
09-03-2014, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh dear. Here we go. Who's going to Mod this one?
09-03-2014, 06:31 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I was in another thread and someone didn't know about cheese heads...
You guys know about cheese heads?

Chicago is right next to cheese head land.

Oh and Chicago John, my niece just moved to Chicago to do her PhD. and lives two blocks from where i lived the first four years of my life.... some kind of weird cosmic circle thing.

That's why I bought a K-3.
09-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lets not forget the pork.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:43 PM.
09-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What would a pentaxian be without wishful thinking?
Indeed! Lets hope the "big Cheese" at Rikoh reads this thread.
09-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just knew it ... !

This turned in to a cheese factory! .... and we know who the culprits are, don't we?

To the OP: well versed post and right to the point !

JP
09-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Stop.stop,stop, stop, stop,stop, stop,stop,stop, stop, stop it.
09-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One of the things I do not like about it is superficial; the presence of the "Ricoh" name on the back below the LCD.
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You are in the wrong thread if you want to complain about that, there is one completely devoted to it.
<sarcasm>

Hmmm...whatever thread are we talking about?

Who *would* care about that eh?

</sarcasm>