Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-04-2014, 05:43 AM   #1

error F--- message on new Tamron lens

My Tamron lens came yesterday and worked great for about 10 minutes on my K3. Then it would not focus and gave me a flashing F--- error on the screen. The lens was seated properly and did not work on my other Pentax (Kx} either. All other lenses worked fine on the K3 camera. Does anyone know if this is fixable or should I just ship it back to Amazon for a replacement.
Thank you for any help. I checked contacts on the K3 and lens, they were clean.
mariakruse

09-04-2014, 05:51 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gotta ask the obvious- is the aperture ring still set to "A"?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-04-2014, 05:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Which Tamron lens?

And does the problem occur if you switch the lens to the 'A' setting on the aperture ring?
09-04-2014, 06:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I had a Tamron 28-75 2.8 that did the same thing when set on "A". I learned that there was a tiny (by tiny I mean like a hair width) bit of play while locked in the "A" mode. When bumped or touched it would move ever so slightly giving my K-3 the F--- reading. The only solution that I came up with was to use a lens band (or similar rubber type band) to wrap around the aperture rind to prevent it from shifting a hair and it worked. If that is the case and it is a new lens I would send it back if you can since you shouldn't have to deal with that. I picked the lens up for almost nothing because it had that problem so dealing with a rubber band around it didn't bother me.

09-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Gotta ask the obvious- is the aperture ring still set to "A"?
No, it is on 5.6. Should it be on A?
mariakruse

---------- Post added 09-04-14 at 07:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Which Tamron lens?

And does the problem occur if you switch the lens to the 'A' setting on the aperture ring?
Works great when set to A. Should I keep it on A?
maria
09-04-2014, 06:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Keep it on A.
09-04-2014, 06:20 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes.

09-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by transam879 Quote
I had a Tamron 28-75 2.8 that did the same thing when set on "A". I learned that there was a tiny (by tiny I mean like a hair width) bit of play while locked in the "A" mode. When bumped or touched it would move ever so slightly giving my K-3 the F--- reading. The only solution that I came up with was to use a lens band (or similar rubber type band) to wrap around the aperture rind to prevent it from shifting a hair and it worked. If that is the case and it is a new lens I would send it back if you can since you shouldn't have to deal with that. I picked the lens up for almost nothing because it had that problem so dealing with a rubber band around it didn't bother me.
thank you all for being so quick to help. After setting the aperture ring to A it works great. I was ready to send back today and now it seems like all is good.
thank you all soooooooo much. Damn, I love cameras.
maria
09-04-2014, 06:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mariakruse Quote
thank you all for being so quick to help. After setting the aperture ring to A it works great. I was ready to send back today and now it seems like all is good.
thank you all soooooooo much. Damn, I love cameras.
maria
Good luck shooting.... post some pictures for us.
09-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Using the aperture ring is sometimes required but this is for special things like a manual extension tube that doesn't let you set aperture on the camera. For instance..

So, the aperture ring is there and it is nice to have if you come to a time when aperture must be set manually. However, as pointed out, leaving it in A is best. This way, you can use the camera dial to set aperture. Even if you use Manual mode on the camera, leave the lens aperture ring in the A setting. Aperture ring on lens aint often used :^|
09-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Good luck shooting.... post some pictures for us.
Will post some soon. Thank you for your help.
maria

---------- Post added 09-04-14 at 07:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
Using the aperture ring is sometimes required but this is for special things like a manual extension tube that doesn't let you set aperture on the camera. For instance..

So, the aperture ring is there and it is nice to have if you come to a time when aperture must be set manually. However, as pointed out, leaving it in A is best. This way, you can use the camera dial to set aperture. Even if you use Manual mode on the camera, leave the lens aperture ring in the A setting. Aperture ring on lens aint often used :^|
Thank you, I was wondering what it was for. I must have moved it while experimenting and forgotten to return it to its place. Again, thank you for the help.
maria
09-04-2014, 07:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

When the lens is set at 'A', the aperture is controlled electronically from the camera. The K-3 has aperture and shutter control on the body, use them.

When the lens is set away from 'A', then you control the aperture on the lens - but the camera does not have the mechanical linkage to measure the chosen aperture - so it can't display your chosen aperture and that is why the F-- is flashing. Older cameras - pre the digital era - had this mechanical linkage to measure aperture. No Pentax DSLR's has it. You can still take pictures, in manual mode on the camera, but the metering is not engaged automatically. You can activate the metering for the chosen aperture on the lens and this way getting a shutter speed. But this is a bit more fiddly than to leave the lens at 'A' and using the in-body controls. You also has more metering options with lens set at 'A'.

The reason for the Tamron lens to have an aperture ring, is to stay compatible with older film cameras - pre the digital era. The aperture ring is not needed on a Pentax DSLR, but can be handy on older film cameras from the 90's or even older than that...
09-04-2014, 07:39 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

No, it is on 5.6. Should it be on A?
mariakruse
It should be kept on "A" unless you want to see the F--- and be forced to use M mode. The F--- is not an error message. It merely means that the camera is telling you that it is unable to set the aperture for the mounted lens.

Steve

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
The reason for the Tamron lens to have an aperture ring, is to stay compatible with older film cameras - pre the digital era.
...or to make the lens compatible with things like extension tubes.

Steve
09-04-2014, 08:15 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
When the lens is set at 'A', the aperture is controlled electronically from the camera. The K-3 has aperture and shutter control on the body, use them.

When the lens is set away from 'A', then you control the aperture on the lens - but the camera does not have the mechanical linkage to measure the chosen aperture - so it can't display your chosen aperture and that is why the F-- is flashing. Older cameras - pre the digital era - had this mechanical linkage to measure aperture. No Pentax DSLR's has it. You can still take pictures, in manual mode on the camera, but the metering is not engaged automatically. You can activate the metering for the chosen aperture on the lens and this way getting a shutter speed. But this is a bit more fiddly than to leave the lens at 'A' and using the in-body controls. You also has more metering options with lens set at 'A'.

The reason for the Tamron lens to have an aperture ring, is to stay compatible with older film cameras - pre the digital era. The aperture ring is not needed on a Pentax DSLR, but can be handy on older film cameras from the 90's or even older than that...
Thank you so much for the information RMabo. At least now I understand a bit more. Sure glad I didn't send it back. Would have felt quite the fool.
maria

---------- Post added 09-04-14 at 09:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Which Tamron lens?

The Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro lens. So glad it works now. Operator error is so annoying. But, I learned something new for me and that's good.

maria
09-04-2014, 08:25 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Thank you so much for the information RMabo. At least now I understand a bit more. Sure glad I didn't send it back. Would have felt quite the fool.
maria

---------- Post added 09-04-14 at 09:17 AM ----------

The Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro lens. So glad it works now. Operator error is so annoying. But, I learned something new for me and that's good.

maria
Remember it, I've gone through the same panic out in the field... and then had to hit myself and say "duh" when I figured it out. The "duh" isn't so bad but the bruise where you hit yourself in the head can last for a few days.