Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2014, 05:39 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As an independent highly respected camera gear reviewer Steve Huff has mentioned the issue very prominently. Do a search for K3 on his site and you get three threads. One is the original product announcement and a stated intention to review that never eventuates and two long posts about mirror flop issues by Amy Medina. So the conclusion to be drawn is that the K3 is not worth reviewing and is significantly flawed.

I held off for almost 12 months to allow for early issues to be ironed out and will take delivery of a K3 prestige in the next week or so. The prominence of the mirror flop issue gives pause for thought at the least and as a sometimes paid shooter using a grip and external flash I don't want to be caught in a situation with clients waiting for me to wrestle a machine gunning camera in a church.

09-06-2014, 04:23 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
As an independent highly respected camera gear reviewer Steve Huff has mentioned the issue very prominently. Do a search for K3 on his site and you get three threads. One is the original product announcement and a stated intention to review that never eventuates and two long posts about mirror flop issues by Amy Medina. So the conclusion to be drawn is that the K3 is not worth reviewing and is significantly flawed.

I held off for almost 12 months to allow for early issues to be ironed out and will take delivery of a K3 prestige in the next week or so. The prominence of the mirror flop issue gives pause for thought at the least and as a sometimes paid shooter using a grip and external flash I don't want to be caught in a situation with clients waiting for me to wrestle a machine gunning camera in a church.
interesting that teh root source of all these 'negative reports' is one person

Who'd have thought ones persons issue could derive so much angst ??

Mnay years ago a thread started about the Kx's 'shake issue' this was a genuine problem most likley caused by miror resonance and the way people hold the body , As a laugh I mentioned the k5/k7 also suffered from it (an outright lie in the interest of social investigation) before to long many reported their K% shake issues and even some 'web respected' authorities investigated and reported it was cause by Pentax's floating mirror.

Even after bench oscilation reports from static held body conclusivley proved the the k5/k7 did not resonate causing blur at set shutter speeds the belief continued seems if you tell enough people a load of tripe they'll believe anything !

I'm pretty sure if you use any camera as per Amy's mode of operation continuous shooting for 10's of thousands of shots to create time lapses many bodies from most manafcturers woudl hiccup regulaly.

To me the fact she can use k5ii's until the shutter expires without issue is a miracle and shows Pentax continue to refine designs so that mature technology is both refined and stable. The fact the K3 is pretty much bradn new guts I think its pretty impressive for an introduction of new technology.

Last edited by awaldram; 09-06-2014 at 04:29 AM.
09-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
The OP's question was in regard to "mirror lock-up". To the best of my knowledge there is no known mirror lock-up problem with the K-3. I don't believe that Steve Huff or Amy Medina ever claimed mirror lock-up either.

This is the way that Internet "truth" is created. Reference is repeatedly made to an issue that never existed with the result that the existence becomes undisputed.

To the best of knowledge there are two K-3 issues that have been reported with any degree of frequency. The first is the crazy/runaway mirror* so well documented by Amy Medina (DRabbit on this site) and others and the second is a general system freeze. The system freeze is the more prevalent of the two. The crazy mirror (as termed by Amy) issue has been addressed by Pentax and a fix offered to people who have effected cameras. I do not know what the status of the system freeze issue is.

I have been following Amy's (DRabbit) crazy mirror reportage thread since its inception and it appears that the reports have dwindled in the last month (9 new in August) and I believe that all involve cameras in the known range of serial numbers that were purchased in late 2013 or Spring 2014. (Amy may feel free to correct me here.) It may be too early to declare victory, but clearly the crazy mirror is not an escalating problem.

So, how about that mirror lockup issue? Is it as bad as I've heard? It is my understanding based on comments that I have read here on Pentax Forums that there is considerable concern about this new problem with the K-3 and that it is effecting sales. Do you think that it may extend to the newly announced K-S1 entry level camera as well and be evidence of a brand-wide design flaw?

Steve

(...counting the minutes until this is picked up and blogged by some wannabe pundit...)

* The symptoms and fix are different from the mirror flop/double flip issue of the K-5 and K-r

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-06-2014 at 04:39 PM.
09-07-2014, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Buy the damn camera It is a really nice piece of engineering. It is more difficult to use in the beginning due to the really high pixel density, i.e it is more prone to camera shake compared to the K10d or K-5 but when you shape up your technique it is a breeze. The same problem that the Nikon D800 users experience.

The K-5 also had this flutter problem and I had it ONE time.

With the K-3 I have had it two or three times. I really don´t remember because it is about 25000 photos ago it happened the last time. My shutter count is about 39-40000 today.

Compared to the K10d it is a dream come true... (I loved my K10d and then my K-5. The K-3 is like christmas every day.)

For some samples, check my Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/thomashedlund/
Beautiful photos!

09-08-2014, 01:45 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by standalowen Quote
Beautiful photos!
Thanks!
09-08-2014, 03:22 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have had this though, myself. Based on some things I have read quite recently.. reinforces it.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Thanks for the information, it verifies a theory I have.

I suspect that the #1 Pentax oriented forum on the internet is actually hurting Pentax sales. Instead of being a fan site it is in realty an anti-Pentax site dedicated to discouraging people from buying into the brand. </SARC> </JOKE> (sort of)
09-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #22

I'm currently on Cape cod with my K-3 and had no mirror flopping yet, but one freeze in combination with my 55-300. Had to remove the battery to fix it...