Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2019, 06:38 AM   #16

Just tried tethering with pktriggercord. Somewhy my K-5 works fine but K-3 don't work. It was detected by software, but pressing shutter button freezes both software and camera. any ideas?

02-28-2020, 10:05 AM   #17

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I need some advice.I'm hoping to start a new contract soon that requires me to shoot tethered, so I've just downloaded and installed pkTriggercord. Unfortunately, I'm having some major problems with it.

I'm trying to get it to talk to my K-3. I've got a third-party USB cable with the two-part plug that goes into both sides of the K-3's socket. If I just connect the camera to the computer it can access the SD card and view and download images just fine, so I'm pretty sure the cable works.

The software connects to the camera just fine, at first. I can adjust the settings, focus and take a photo. The camera triggers, but then the program hangs with a message at the bottom of the screen, "Getting preview", and just stays on that indefinitely. It locks up the camera, and if I subsequently click on the software it goes into "Not responding" mode and crashes. It leaves the camera locked up too; I have to remove and replace the battery to get it to reset.
k3 delete
I'm using camera firmware version 1.40, I have the USB connection option set to MSC (if I set it to PTP the software won't detect the camera). I can't think of anything else to try. Does anyone have any suggestions?
02-28-2020, 09:10 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cliffsmith23 Quote
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I need some advice.I'm hoping to start a new contract soon that requires me to shoot tethered, so I've just downloaded and installed pkTriggercord. Unfortunately, I'm having some major problems with it.

I'm trying to get it to talk to my K-3. I've got a third-party USB cable with the two-part plug that goes into both sides of the K-3's socket. If I just connect the camera to the computer it can access the SD card and view and download images just fine, so I'm pretty sure the cable works.

The software connects to the camera just fine, at first. I can adjust the settings, focus and take a photo. The camera triggers, but then the program hangs with a message at the bottom of the screen, "Getting preview", and just stays on that indefinitely. It locks up the camera, and if I subsequently click on the software it goes into "Not responding" mode and crashes. It leaves the camera locked up too; I have to remove and replace the battery to get it to reset.
k3 delete
I'm using camera firmware version 1.40, I have the USB connection option set to MSC (if I set it to PTP the software won't detect the camera). I can't think of anything else to try. Does anyone have any suggestions?
The K-3 is not tetherable unfortunately. I believe the K-5 is the newest APS-C tetherable Pentax camera (not natively though). The K-3 not teathering is all over this thread. It would be nice if things had changed, but they have not. The only you have is to get a field monitor and use HDMI to display the image view. Not exactly tethering though. Or get the Flu Card and a laptop/tablet.
02-28-2020, 09:47 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh released a SDK a while ago, see this thread: Introducing Pentax Wi-Fi & USB Tether by PentaxForums.com - PentaxForums.com I haven't seen anything lately about Adam's program or the other project that someone on this forum was working on, so I don't know what the current status is.

Bad news: I did some research and the SDK only works for 645Z, K-1, KP and K-70 via USB. AFAIK, the developers of PKTether and PKTriggercord weren't able to figure out how to work with the K-3 (and it required putting your camera into debug mode, which my K-30 didn't like and I had to reinstall the firmware in my camera to get it to work at all)

Last edited by RGlasel; 02-28-2020 at 09:56 PM.
02-29-2020, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

I've tethered using darktable and my K-3 II a few times. Had a bit of a glitch that required reconnection after turning the camera off but once connected it worked well. That was running linux however.
10-18-2021, 10:17 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

I succeded to tether K3-II last weekend.
I bought a USB 3 cable to speed up transfers.

I tried pktriggercord, and after some attemps It worked for me.
I found some minor issues.
For pktriggercord to work, you need first to turn your camera, then plug in the usb cable, then start pktriggercord.
I can't change ISO from the program, but I can set it before plugin the USB cable.
Speed and apperture can be changed with the program, just enough for me.
I need to disable lens corrections.
I can save the picture to a 'hot' folder where Lightroom or Capture One can monitor it.

Another option that worked for me was the gphoto2/libgphoto2. But this utility only works in linux. gphoto2 is just a command line tools, but it has a tether mode that can send your files to a folder.
In my case I did:
installed VirtualBox
imported a VM Kubuntu Linux image
installed gphoto2/libgphoto2
installed guest tools for USB 3 support
shared a folder windows/linux
configured the shared folder as a hot folder for Capture One
turn on camera and plug USB cable
started the gphotos utility with tether option, sending the files to the shared folder linux/windows

It worked, after a few seconds after pushing the trigger button, I have a raw file on Capture One, ready to check or edit.

I was not able to do tether with Darktable, in my case (linux or Windows).

So, two options for K3-II tethering, maybe pktriggercord is more convenient.
Regards.
10-18-2021, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Question to those trying to tether a K-3 (original model)... Do you truly need full tether? Is it just the shutter you need to remotely control? Can you work with either Live View or an external HDMI monitor?

While TriggerTrap is no longer in production, you can either find a used unit, or the inventor has placed it in open source to build your own. The Android software is available via the Amazon app store. Sorry but mine is NOT for sale,

In a nutshell the camera is placed in aperture priority bulb mode. The Android software has full control over the shutter - this includes 'normal' shutter control as well as using the sensors in the phone (or tablet) to trigger the shutter - light (phone's camera), sound (microphone), vibration (accelerometer), and a wide variety of time lapse photography. The hardware side of TriggerTrap connects the phone headphone jack to the camera's electric shutter. If you have two Android devices, you can run the software on both and use one to wirelessly trigger the other. I am pretty sure you could combine TriggerTrap with a Pentax FLU card to wirelessly transfer images, and a HDMI monitor to view them remotely.

And if all this sounds just too much like a Rube Goldberg setup - buy a K-1 and a Chromebook and install Pentax Image Sync.on an Android Phone, tablet, or Chromebook.

02-18-2022, 02:53 AM   #23
Forum Member

It seems like they have updated the software so K5 and K3 are supported.
03-06-2022, 10:47 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by ilpostino Quote
It seems like they have updated the software so K5 and K3 are supported.
It was "updated to be compatible with K-3" last year, the year before that and years before that. It never worked. K-3 compatibility is to simply put, a blatant lie.
The only tethering option the K-3 has is the Pentax O-FC1 Flucard with wifi, but is not the easiest to use and you can't integrate it into software.
03-08-2022, 11:29 AM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Perhaps they are counting up, and the "-" is a negative sign. Therefore the next would be the K 0, and the one after that the K+1...
Looking at the changelog at github.com it seems like K3 was supported from version 0.83.00 (2016-01-29) so it seems you are right.
03-08-2022, 02:23 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I have used pktriggercord successfully several times. I have a K3-II, and they list K3 as supported too, so it should work. You just need to follow some steps to make it work.
03-02-2024, 05:01 AM   #27

Hello everyone.

Trying to use PkTriggerCord - Windows 11 + K3 II. I installed the dependencies, the camera gets detected and switches to capture more. I can check status and set some settings, but the camera does not trigger from the UI.

I tried to invoke one capture via the CLI with the simplest command:

C:\Users\user\Downloads\pktriggercord-0.85.00-win>pktriggercord-cli --file_format dng -o test.dng

pktriggercord-cli: K-3II Connected...

And this is where it hangs also.

Any advice?
03-04-2024, 04:00 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Hello.
A long time ago I set up PkTriggerCord for my K3-II on windows 10. Unfortunately I don't have the camera anymore. Check comment #21 because there I indicate the order in which things should be done. I had to follow exactly that order for PkTriggerCord to work.
Good luck.