Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2014, 05:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-3 Tethering with a cable.

Would someone enlighten me as to whether it is possible to tether a K-3 (K3) to an MS Windows laptop with a cable? I have been searching the internet diligently to find the definitive answer, but without success. Most online resources I've found say the only tethering option is the wireless Pentax O-FC1 card (I've got one and either it's flawed or I am) but I recently discovered a link ( Pentax K-3 USB 3.0 Tethering Cable Orange | Tether Talk) describing a USB 3.0 tethering cable for the K-3.

I want to mount my K-3 on my fast Newtonian telescope to do some astrophotography and the ability to tether is important, I find the O-FC1 just doesn't do the job well enough.

Nick

---------- Post added 09-07-14 at 01:06 PM ----------

I've just discovered this report that Adobe Lightroom 5.3 supports the K-3, has anybody tried it?

Lightroom 5.3 Update with New Camera Support | Tether Talk

Nick

09-07-2014, 05:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

PKTether and PKTriggercord may work for wired K-3 tethering.

Otherwise, just use the Flucard. Apply the latest firmware, make sure you are using the right browser etc, and try again.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nickrs Quote
Adobe Lightroom 5.3 supports the K-3
It does, but tethering isn't supported. Only Leica, Canon and Nikon get tethering support in Lightroom.
09-07-2014, 05:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax cameras is NOT supported for tethering in Lightroom. Only some Nikon, Canon and Leica. The support you see is for RAW conversion.

Also PKTether and PKTriggercord will NOT work for wired K-3 tethering. Hopefully in the future...

Last edited by Tjompen1968; 09-07-2014 at 05:27 AM.
09-07-2014, 07:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've been trying to use the O-FC1 with my Sony Android tablet utilising either Opera or Chrome, it works but tends to drop out quite regularly, I might try using my Dell Win 8.1 laptop and see if that is a bit more successful. What is the recommended browser?

Nick

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
PKTether and PKTriggercord may work for wired K-3 tethering.

Otherwise, just use the Flucard. Apply the latest firmware, make sure you are using the right browser etc, and try again.

It does, but tethering isn't supported. Only Leica, Canon and Nikon get tethering support in Lightroom.

09-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax offered a Tethering utility up through the K20D inclusive. Then they did away with it. Why, who knows - there is no understanding the thinking of what Pentax does or does not do. It must have been logical the them at the time, regardless of the stupidity to we the users.

The other weekend I was out in the desert, shooting a vertical stitch of the Milky Way, and the camera was pointed up. I was trying to hit the [OK] button and wound up hitting some other button - who knows what. The camera dropped out of the GPS mode and there was no way to get it back into that without pulling the camera body off the tripod and resetting the entire thing up, and then trying to remount it and get the shot. I should have just thrown the whole lot off into the desert and then just driven home.

Who ever makes some of these decisions should just be shot - or better yet, staked out on top of a fire ant hill. With open source utilities, along with the internal camera interface available, it would take a couple of weeks to get a solid Tethering utility together and operational (note - I have been a software/systems engineer for 40 years now). This stupidity is boarding on crimes against their users.

09-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
With open source utilities, along with the internal camera interface available, it would take a couple of weeks to get a solid Tethering utility together and operational (note - I have been a software/systems engineer for 40 years now). This stupidity is boarding on crimes against their users.
I don't know if it is a crime, but it certainly would have been nice if they had carried the previous functionality forward. There are solid use cases for tethering that are at least as compelling as some of the features included on the current range of Pentax cameras. It would be incredibly cool if they would publish an API. It would be even more cool if they would publish and promote a potential industry standard camera API. There is no good reason why this sort of thing should be limited to wireless through a hokey third-party translation layer (the FLU card).

Steve

(...even my ancient Canon G2 supports tethering...don't know what current cameras support such though...)
09-07-2014, 09:17 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

This whole tethering situation is just begging for third party support. I too have suggested an open API (over the past 3 years) and let the third parties provide the user interface in what ever way works out best - a range of options. Let Pentax concentrate on the camera. How long has it been with the 645D and now Z without a tethering capability and there they are selling to professionals. It has been years. Just how long does it to crank out some relatively API and interface code, that should be pretty straight forward? Then considering that both the 645D and Z are based on the K5 and K3 respectively, would you bet your first born that the utility will be backwards comparable?

09-08-2014, 12:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use pk tether and eyefi cards with k5 and both work fine the delay in seeing images is no longer than the delay in lightroom with a Canikon .
I also do not understand what Rioch did to the K3 but clearly it is a change that the originator of pk tether is havering a problem with.
You would have thought that for the sort of money you pay for a 645 that tethering was included as it is with the cameras it competes with and as since some of the previous posters with software experience have implied It is not hard to implement I don't understand why it is not done.
I also if it is so simple to do,honestly do not understand why some third party has not done it either as freeware or a paid app. perhaps it is not so simple after all?
A case for a bit of crowd funding perhaps?