Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Should I get a K3?

Right now, I'm using a K30 but find the K3 very interesting. I have a couple of questions for you guys:

1- Is it Worth it to buy a K3 compared to my K30?
2- What exactly is the problem that I read a lot about concerning the mirror that flaps or flops or freezes or I don't know what?
3- Has that problem been solved by the firmware or a factory fix?
4- How do you guys like your K3?

Thanks for any input.

09-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had mine since January. Never had a mirror flap or freeze. I love it, best camera I've owned and I had a bunch.
09-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter

1) only you can decide. It is a completely different camera as far as features and ergonomics, and has a completely different sensor and AF system. It is certainly a great step up but whether you should or not is up to you.

2) The mirror flap is when the mirror on the camera starts flapping uncontrollably. I have just under 16,000 actuations on mine and have had mirror flap twice. Dropped the battery reinserted, back shooting in like 5 seconds. I know there are some very upset about this and I cannot speak for them but for me it is just completely a non-issue. For what it's worth both times it happened to me I was using the DA 12-24 and it has never happened with any other lens.

3) There is a factory fix that Ricoh says will fix it if you camera is affected. There is also a firmware update that is supposed to monitor for it and reset the camera if it occurs.

4) Easily the best camera I have ever used. The only camera I have ever bought at launch sight unseen. And I have owned the k-x, k-5, k-5IIs and now k-3. It is a workhorse that can go all day and deliver great images. I know on this site you are not supposed to say anything good about Pentax, but sorry I'm a big k-3 fan.
09-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I bought mine in April and love the quality of the images. I had one episode of the mirror flop but it's not done it since. Ricoh has a warranty fix and there's also updated firmware. The K-3 is a better tool and it will record better quality images but it won't make us better photographers. Just my $0.02.

09-07-2014, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

only if you already have nice glass. if not, invest in that first.
09-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
Right now, I'm using a K30 but find the K3 very interesting. I have a couple of questions for you guys:

1- Is it Worth it to buy a K3 compared to my K30?
2- What exactly is the problem that I read a lot about concerning the mirror that flaps or flops or freezes or I don't know what?
3- Has that problem been solved by the firmware or a factory fix?
4- How do you guys like your K3?

Thanks for any input.
1 - Hard to say. The K-3 is better in most ways, but for pure image quality you might well be better off buying better lenses rather than a K-3.
2 - Whatever problems there are they seem to have gone away after firmware 1.11 came out. At least that's my impression from the "mirror flap" threads.
3 - See above
4 - A lot Compared to the K-5 I like most of the changes; speedy action, (mostly) better controls, better view finder, better live view. But a bit heavier.

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
only if you already have nice glass. if not, invest in that first.
...and this. Not that my "not best" lenses are any worse than before, but their weaknesses are a lot more obvious when I study a 24 MP image at 100 %.

And my best lenses have become quite a lot better. The DFA 100 Macro shines on the K-3.
09-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
1 - Hard to say. The K-3 is better in most ways, but for pure image quality you might well be better off buying better lenses rather than a K-3.
2 - Whatever problems there are they seem to have gone away after firmware 1.11 came out. At least that's my impression from the "mirror flap" threads.
3 - See above
4 - A lot Compared to the K-5 I like most of the changes; speedy action, (mostly) better controls, better view finder, better live view. But a bit heavier.

...and this. Not that my "not best" lenses are any worse than before, but their weaknesses are a lot more obvious when I study a 24 MP image at 100 %.

And my best lenses have become quite a lot better. The DFA 100 Macro shines on the K-3.
Thanks for your input guys. Take care.

Mike.
09-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I can't say about K-30 to K-3 but I can say that K-5 to K-3 does make a pretty big difference.

Better lenses will more than likely make a more significant difference in image quality than the body upgrade would. However, everything on the K-3 is a bit better than the K-30 (AF, 14bit RAW, better sensor, faster burst rate, larger buffer...) and you do get a few new features (like mirror lock-up, dual SD and top LCD).

The K-3 will not make average lenses look worse but I noticed a significant improvement in higher end glass, the DA* are just amazing paired with the K-3. Even some old M42 or A and K lenses I have handy really shine on the K-3 where on the K-5 they were just so-so.

I prefer using the K-3 vs the K-5, more so than I preferred the K-5 against the Kr.

I was off to a rough start with the K-3 in the first few weeks. I had a bunch of odd, mostly annoying things happening but I never experienced the flappy mirror issues, and none of these happened after the second firmware upgrade (can't remember which version it was). I use my camera for everything, long exposure, burst shooting, time lapse, with no grip, with a modified DG4 grip, with cheap china batteries, in the cold, under the rain, in sand storms, you name it...

I'm very happy with it, I would not change it and I sure don't regret the expense.

09-07-2014, 11:30 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
1) only you can decide. It is a completely different camera as far as features and ergonomics, and has a completely different sensor and AF system. It is certainly a great step up but whether you should or not is up to you.

2) The mirror flap is when the mirror on the camera starts flapping uncontrollably. I have just under 16,000 actuations on mine and have had mirror flap twice. Dropped the battery reinserted, back shooting in like 5 seconds. I know there are some very upset about this and I cannot speak for them but for me it is just completely a non-issue. For what it's worth both times it happened to me I was using the DA 12-24 and it has never happened with any other lens.

3) There is a factory fix that Ricoh says will fix it if you camera is affected. There is also a firmware update that is supposed to monitor for it and reset the camera if it occurs.

4) Easily the best camera I have ever used. The only camera I have ever bought at launch sight unseen. And I have owned the k-x, k-5, k-5IIs and now k-3. It is a workhorse that can go all day and deliver great images. I know on this site you are not supposed to say anything good about Pentax, but sorry I'm a big k-3 fan.
I have two bodies, one of them never has had a problem, the other twice with the DA 12-24. Again, dropped the battery out, put it back in and started shooting again. The occurrences were months apart, and none for a long time.

Some have been able to reproduce the problem, and obviously have a hardware issue. Pentax says to send it in for repair.
09-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I recently bought a K-3 and "sold" my K-30 to my son. If a quieter shutter mechanism matters to you, you will instantly like the K-3 for that reason alone. JPEG colors seem to be a little better (accurate) out of the K-3, for those who actually shoot a JPEG now and then. White balance is probably improved a little, too. It's only with special lenses that I think you'll detect a practical difference in sharpness. I'll confess to not even tried P-TTL flash with my 360FGZ but others have commented that it's more accurate on a K-3.

Of course there are several features which may or not matter to you. Things such as selectable program line bias, etc.
09-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I have two bodies, one of them never has had a problem, the other twice with the DA 12-24.
Now that is interesting, as it has only happened to me with the DA 12-24. Hmmm......