Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #61

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
The 35mm f2.8 macro it just delicious, bubblegummy goodness. I cannot believe I waited so long to for mine...(The Fa 43 will have to wait, I'm hoping/expecting a FA lens revamp with the upcoming FF dslr)
Well,Nov. is my birthday, so perhaps I see what the gift will be. Thank you for the advice. If you were going to use a zoom what would you use?
maria

10-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #62
Pentaxian

I find a two lens kit consisting of a 16-45mm and 60-250mm pretty much covers all bases. If you add a nifty fifty to the mix you'll have a fast lens for low light.

Michael
10-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Being a low budget modest photographer the Holy Trinity of Lenses for my Pentax K-5 IIs are the Sigma 10 - 20 f4 - 5.6, Tamron 17 - 50 f2.8, and the Pentax 55 - 300 f 4 - 5.6.
And what a combo - brutally sharp all of them - plus I have covered the full base - almost - even though I am not into nature/wildlife/birding and hardly use the 55-300mm.
Plus I have the legendary F 1.7x AF TC in case I need some additional reach.
Regards.
10-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #64

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I find a two lens kit consisting of a 16-45mm and 60-250mm pretty much covers all bases. If you add a nifty fifty to the mix you'll have a fast lens for low light.

Michael
That 16-45 sounds good . My little studio is about 8x12 feet and I have a small table to set up my pieces for shooting if I am working inside. This camera is the best I have ever owned and I am determined to finding out how to master every thing it does.
Maria

10-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #65
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
get the Da 35mm f2.8 macro as well, it's really great lens, 1:1 macro that can focus a few inches from the sensor ( You can essentially poke someone's eye out and still focus on their iris) You won't regret it.
10-04-2014, 11:04 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Holy trinity won't work!

Out of a bag of 30+ lenses, these nine see the heaviest use.

Primes:
Sigma 35 1.4 6 (low-light stand-in for my aspirational FA 31)
FA 43, least celebrated of the limited trio 31-43-77
D FA 50 f 2.8 macro, sharpest knife in kit both on paper & in practice! Sharpness/resolution pairs extremely well with K-3 for cropping.
Canon FL 55 1.2 converted to K mount, rendering and bokeh queen*
(The Canon has crowded out the Pentax M 50 1.7 and A 50 1.7)
FA 77, pixie dust and 3-D effects. (Would use this whole lot more with full frame)

Add zooms:
DA 10-17 fisheye for fun & landscapes
Tamron 17-50 2.8, for low-light, nice for evening events
FA 24-90 3.5-4.5, an under-celebrated Pentax zoom
Tamron 70-300, budget approach for reach
10-05-2014, 01:42 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Michael
G'day Michael,

You could easily slip the DA*55 into that gap sitting between those two lenses. The DA*55 is an incredible lens from f/2 onwards. It's better than any Nikon 50' wide open as well but not quite as good as the Sigma 50/1.4 A.

I recommend primes for Pentax (apart from maybe the DA*60-250 which is obviously a zoom) these days as I'm pretty sick of the size of my Nikon mount lenses. Coming originally from 35mm film cameras my mind is stuck in the equivalent FOV rep's in the lineup:

15mm, 21mm, 31mm, 55mm and 77mm for the hell of it.

I've never owned the 15 or 21 but I still have a 31, 55 & 77. From f/4 on those lenses are painfully sharp.

Last edited by bossa; 10-05-2014 at 01:50 AM.
10-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #68

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
get the Da 35mm f2.8 macro as well, it's really great lens, 1:1 macro that can focus a few inches from the sensor ( You can essentially poke someone's eye out and still focus on their iris) You won't regret it.
Yes, I can see where that would be just right for my shooting. Thank you,
maria

10-05-2014, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #69
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
With Pentax you only need the DA21, DA40 and DA70 Limiteds. And a good pair of shoes.
As far as DA Ltd goes, if I were limited to 3, it would be 15, 35 and 70.
10-06-2014, 07:24 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Michael
Concerning the nifty-fifty, many are perhaps unaware of the FA43 Ltd f1.9. Unless one has a specific need for f1.4 aperture, the FA43 is a magical lens (warning: it's not a straightforward lens to use, but once mastered yields stunning results in its rendering). Ever since getting it, I've not used my FA50 f1.4.

Last edited by KDAFA; 10-06-2014 at 08:05 AM.
10-06-2014, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #71

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote
Concerning the nifty-fifty, many are perhaps unaware of the FA43 Ltd f1.9. Unless one has a specific need for f1.4 aperture, the FA43 is a magical lens (warning: it's not a straightforward lens to use, but once mastered yields stunning results in its rendering). Ever since getting it, I've not used my FA50 f1.4.
What do you mean please? In what way is the FA43 Ltd f1.9 lens not a straight forward lens. I have seen this lens mentioned before and always with the disclaimer that it is in some way hard to use. I am curious about what makes it difficult.
maria
10-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mariakruse Quote
What do you mean please? In what way is the FA43 Ltd f1.9 lens not a straight forward lens. I have seen this lens mentioned before and always with the disclaimer that it is in some way hard to use. I am curious about what makes it difficult.
maria
The only hard lense to use that I read of - note: no lenses are hard to use for me - are the super wide angles, near about 8mm or the Fish Eye. One has to watch out for their feet, or distortion, or strange colors creeping in, or flare, or the bright expanse of the sky or what else - you know it any way if yov'e used one.
regards.
nanhi
camp: Thornhill, Ontario.
10-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #73
Veteran Member

maria
Well, user experiences do vary, but I believe one factor which makes some people regard this as a "difficult" lens may be the misconception that it will somehow make every picture look good.

There is of course no such lens in the world. It's just that with the 43, under right conditions, the results can be truly magical indeed, rendered with a unique, exquisite "look". But with the user's mental expectation now being so high, it can be disappointing/frustrating to subsequently find that not every shot looks that incredible. Like I said, there's no such lens that will make everything look great.

With this lens, I've found that experience really counts. As I used the lens, I began to learn what sort of conditions "resonate" or "harmonise" with the lens to create good results. (I suppose this is true of all lenses which have an innate, signature character.) So there is this process, where one's eye and photographic mind "learn" to recognise subject matter and conditions which would yield outstanding results when captured on this lens.

This would make it sound like the lens is only good for certain things. But you'd be pleasantly surprised how many things come out good! Plus, the so-called stuff that "doesn't come out so great", it's not like it's horrible or anything like that - it's just that it's "not so incredible", that's all. Certainly no worse than if shot with another lens!

One problem some people may experience is getting the focus right at f1.9. At this aperture the DOF is really very thin, and it can be possible for the camera's AF system to wrongly guess what you're targeting. And even slight movements of the hand as one holds the camera can be enough to shift the focus point. This may well be one of the reasons that some complain of softness wide open - in fact, the focus was off! But I've done portraits at f1.9, in beautiful lighting, with the focus correct, and the result was just utter pure magic. Certainly I know of no other way to obtain this magic, whether by using some other lens (and I do also use the FA77 Ltd), or by post-processing.

Incidentally, I don't use the 43 only for portraiture; also for still life, close-up, landscape, walkabout, architecture, etc.

Other technical aspects one needs to be aware of using the 43 are that it has some degree of field curvature, and a bit of purple-fringing in high contrast transition areas when using large apertures; the latter is quite easily solved in PP. I've not found CA to be a problem.

Some complain of corner softness when wide open. Personally I never found this an issue because when using it at wide apertures, I was in fact aiming for shallow DOF to isolate the subject, so soft corners were irrelevant.

As for low light usage, I wouldn't typically use f1.9 anyhow, since the results would have very shallow DOF. Better to stop down a bit, hold the camera steady at a slower shutter speed (or use a tripod), and run with a bit higher ISO, since the K3 has good noise performance. In this way one should be able to get reasonable DOF and acceptable corner sharpness, under low light.

Last edited by KDAFA; 10-06-2014 at 11:17 AM.
10-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #74

Original Poster
thank you, it sounds like a great lens.
maria
10-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #75
Veteran Member

thank you, it sounds like a great lens.
maria
It is. Unique.