Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2014, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New K-3 Owner Question

Yesterday I picked up my new K-3. My first new DSLR after my K10D. Wow! Now I can understand what all the fuss is about. This is some camera!!!

Here is my first question which I am sure is an easy one. I have set "Dust Removal" as a startup option but I don't hear the familiar ker-klunk noise that I am used to on the K10D. Is it silent on the K-3?

Thanking you in anticipation.

09-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k-3 (and k-5 I think) use a different dust removal system. If you hold the camera close to your ear, and have good hearing you can hear it. Otherwise, it is silent. Seems to work much better than the one on my k-x.
09-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
k-3 (and k-5 I think) use a different dust removal system. If you hold the camera close to your ear, and have good hearing you can hear it. Otherwise, it is silent. Seems to work much better than the one on my k-x.
Phew! Thanks for the quick reply. I can cross that one off and go and learn about a host of other new features and options.
09-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Yeah, I upgraded from K10D & K20D, and was accustomed to the 'ker-lunk' sound too.

My K-3 makes a very short 'shhhht' noise when it starts up, I have always assumed that was the new dust removal system.

Interesting to hear your response / reaction to the K-3. Mine was the same, from initial impression to now. Believe me, it will feel like a well worn glove in no time at all. I never had the same feeling of total comfort and ease-of-use with the K10 or K20.

09-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
Believe me, it will feel like a well worn glove in no time at all. I never had the same feeling of total comfort and ease-of-use with the K10 or K20.
Thanks for your comments. I hope you are right. It has not been 24 hours since I turned on the K-3 for the first time and already there are quite a few things I am now used to and comfortable with but I'm still stumbling around with lots of things that I knew exactly where to find. I am not discarding my K10D so it will be all the more interesting living with both cameras.
09-12-2014, 11:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Some newer Pentax DSLRs still kerklunk, like the K-30.
The K-3 and K-5 (and possibly K-7?) use an ultrasonic sensor clean mechanism.
It's all good. Stay calm and photo on.
09-13-2014, 01:19 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you, crewl1.
09-13-2014, 01:33 AM   #8

I made the same move, well, from its sibling, the GX-10 by Samsung. The K3 is so much. more. camera! Have lots of fun with it.
It does take some getting used to, though, as it's much more delicate and somewhat less forgiving than the K10.

I ordered a book to go with it, which I found very helpful as the photographer didn't just explain the different settings but also gave recommendations for them (like limiting auto ISO to 6400 due to grain, turning off shadow correction as it's not that helpful, focus peaking in live view ...). There's just so many more things to do now, hah.

01-24-2015, 08:56 AM   #9

Book?

QuoteOriginally posted by Undot Quote
I made the same move, well, from its sibling, the GX-10 by Samsung. The K3 is so much. more. camera! Have lots of fun with it.
It does take some getting used to, though, as it's much more delicate and somewhat less forgiving than the K10.

I ordered a book to go with it, which I found very helpful as the photographer didn't just explain the different settings but also gave recommendations for them (like limiting auto ISO to 6400 due to grain, turning off shadow correction as it's not that helpful, focus peaking in live view ...). There's just so many more things to do now, hah.
I picked up a slightly used (I hope) K3 last week. Have been more than impressed with the IQ and AF. Virtually all of the photos I have taken with it have been keepers but certainly not winners. . But I admit to been both overwhelmed by its complexity and range of options and am not impressed by the scaled down manual. Therefore I was happy to known that a book was available to help get the best from this remarkable camera. Please tell me the title and where I can purchase same.
Thanks
Dick K.
01-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LRNav Quote
I picked up a slightly used (I hope) K3 last week. Have been more than impressed with the IQ and AF. Virtually all of the photos I have taken with it have been keepers but certainly not winners. . But I admit to been both overwhelmed by its complexity and range of options and am not impressed by the scaled down manual. Therefore I was happy to known that a book was available to help get the best from this remarkable camera. Please tell me the title and where I can purchase same.
Thanks
Dick K.
Yvonne Bourque, "K3 eBook," listed on the Pentax Forums Marketplace. Downloads to your computer as a PDF eBook.