Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2014, 07:54 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Unregistered User

Pentax K-3 Debug Menu FYI

After some surfing the net I finally found what I was looking for;

The K-3 Debug Mode

This is how you enter:

Create 2 files in the root of SD card (Make sure your computer shows the file endings, i.e .txt, .PEF, . JPG etc)

DEVELOP.MOD

Open and add the text [OPEN_DEBUG_MENU] to the first file.

Insert the SD card in slot 1 and turn on the camera without closing the card door.

Enable Debug Mode and press OK. You can now remove the files.

In the Menus, before the C1-menu, you now will find a hidden menu.

What do you need this for? Well, that is up to you and your imagination.

/T

DISCLAMER: YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK SO READ ABOUT THIS ON THE INTERNET.
JUST ENTERING THE DEBUG MODE SEEMS HARMLESS THIS FAR AND I HAVE USED IT MANY TIMES TO ADJUST THE AF ON MY OLDER CAMERAS THAT DID NOT HAVE THE FINE TUNING THE K-3 HAS.

THERE ARE MANY SETTING I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY DO...

Last edited by Unregistered User; 09-16-2014 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Added a warning
09-16-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm curious as to the contents of the hidden menu and what one would use the Debug for...
09-16-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I'm curious as to the contents of the hidden menu and what one would use the Debug for...
This thread is one example of what you can do from the debug menu.
09-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #4
Unregistered User

You can change the region settings, i.e languages. Well from Swedish region to Singapore region and back. Hopefully your can do the vise virsa...

09-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rskura Quote
This thread is one example of what you can do from the debug menu.
K3 doesn't seem to be able to dump and write lens firmware last time I tried. I'm not sure if the "editing" function works since I never tried.

The other thing you can do is additional AF adjustment beyond what regular menu give you since *I believe* the regular menu adjustment is in addition to debug menu adjustment.

Also, debug menu was found because of this thread - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/250555-resurrect...e-hacking.html AFAIK.
09-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
K3 doesn't seem to be able to dump and write lens firmware last time I tried. I'm not sure if the "editing" function works since I never tried.
Interesting . . . . I actually used my K-7 to switch my DA*16-50 to screw drive, because at the time I couldn't find how to access the K-3 debug menu.
09-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The various tools that display on boot are intriguing as is the debug menu itself.

Does anyone have any idea what all this stuff does?

Steve

09-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #8
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote

The other thing you can do is additional AF adjustment beyond what regular menu give you since *I believe* the regular menu adjustment is in addition to debug menu adjustment.

Also, debug menu was found because of this thread - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/250555-resurrect...e-hacking.html AFAIK.

To someone who does not understand all this programming lingo that thread is somewhat difficult to follow...
I found it on google+.
09-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
To someone who does not understand all this programming lingo that thread is somewhat difficult to follow...
I found it on google+.
Well if someone wants to actually compile a list of Debug Menu items and their application in an easy to follow, layman's language, it might be helpful.
That way, if anyone sees a particular feature they'd like to utilize, it would be incentive to implement Debug Mode.

As of right now, I'm curious but not inclined to Debug my K3 just to rummage around in the closet.
09-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Which is probably the best reason to proceed with caution. The so-called debug menu's purpose is not for troubleshooting or exposing hidden treasures. It appears to be a toolkit for QA purposes or to "debug" issues of firmware under development, a test harness if you would. There is huge potential to brick a camera.

Steve
09-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #11

File Text

Open and add the text [OPEN_DEBUG_MENU] to the first file.
Does the necessary text include the brackets?
09-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #12
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by rodeknyt Quote
Does the necessary text include the brackets?
Yes it does. Write or copy:

[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]
09-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I used debug to make minor changes to the AF of my K200D, which doesn't allow this at all in the normal user menu. I see no reason at all to do it for a K3, it's very risky and I don't see what benefit it could bring.
09-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #14
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I used debug to make minor changes to the AF of my K200D, which doesn't allow this at all in the normal user menu. I see no reason at all to do it for a K3, it's very risky and I don't see what benefit it could bring.
If you buy your camera in Singapore and bring it to Sweden you might want to be able to choose Swedish menus. Using this hack makes that possible.
09-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If you buy your camera in Singapore and bring it to Sweden you might want to be able to choose Swedish menus. Using this hack makes that possible.
You mean like on this thread?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/265668-international-langu...ngs-k-3-a.html

Steve