Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
* The video mode should be aimed at people who know what they are doing. Don't dumb it down, give options, even if they may confuse a beginner. A DSLR is a semi-pro/pro tool, not for beginners.
I haven't used the video mode on my K-3, but I heartily agree with the sentiment expressed here. I don't see why camera manufacturers feel they need to make DSLR's suitable for beginners (I've got nothing against beginners, but a DSLR is not for them) when much of it is useless or even annoying when you know what you're doing. A case in point is all the pre-set scene modes; you don't need them if you've got Shutter and Aperture priority. The worst though are all the the special effects you get with them; while they may be cool sometimes, they're essentially gimmicks.

What I really want is a digital version of the MX, I may already have said that though...

09-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Tilt swivel lcd screen. In certain conditions, I find it much easier to focus using focus peaking than through a viewfinder. Having an LCD screen that tilts and swivels would definitely help with framing the shot.
09-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hjkimbrian Quote
Tilt swivel lcd screen. In certain conditions, I find it much easier to focus using focus peaking than through a viewfinder. Having an LCD screen that tilts and swivels would definitely help with framing the shot.
+1 I would like one with a flippy LCD like on the 645Z with focus peaking and focus magnifier.
09-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

All great suggestions, but I do disagree with one thing. The DSLR cameras are just as much for a Amateur/Novice as a Semi Pro or professional photographer. You can't learn much by using a camera phone or a point-and-shoot camera. And Pentax knows this. That is why they are offering so many cameras aimed toward the novice. Everyone has to start somewhere, and it might as well be using a Pentax DSLR camera.

I don't use video much in a still camera, They are great for web videos and such but if I need to take a video of a wedding or something important I will use a video camera. But that is just my preference. for me I do not need a lot of bells and whistles for video.

What I would like to see is a shutter over the viewfinder. Keeping up with that little cover Is a Nuisance at the very least, And trying to install it without moving the camera is almost impossible. I normally lay a towel over it instead.

I would also like to be able to change the focal length of a manual lens on the fly. Using a manual focus Zoom lens with SR on, Does not always give good results. With a manual Zoom lens, I normally turn the shake reduction off.

Also, I would like to be able to enter the tele-converter information when using AF lenses. Some tele-converter's do not show as being installed, So the camera does not know to change the SR settings accordingly.

Other than that, everything else has been mentioned already.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

09-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Yes, DSLRs are also for beginners. That's what the K-500/50 are there for, and soon the K-S1. But we are talking about the K-3. Might as well put some fun scene modes and instagram like effects on the 645z.

Also, for video I'd say web videos, home videos, that's the stuff of camcorders. Easy to use, very convenient, but bad quality. Serious stuff is the area of DSLRs. More planned shoots, shoots where you want a lot of control over the look. Above that, if budget permits, professional video/cinema cameras. But they cost a fortune.
09-20-2014, 05:34 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Might as well put some fun scene modes and instagram like effects on the 645z.
Which it has already...

Serious stuff is the area of DSLRs. More planned shoots, shoots where you want a lot of control over the look. Above that, if budget permits, professional video/cinema cameras. But they cost a fortune.
And nowadays, you can get a Blackmagic Design Cinema camera for less than $2000... and this thing is considered better than a 5diii in many cases

Last edited by fgaudet; 09-20-2014 at 06:17 PM.
09-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Significantly stiffer e-dials. It should require deliberate effort to change those settings! Likewise on the battery grip. This minor gripe is not unique to the K-3 though - my K10D, K-5's and K-5 IIs have all been the same. The K-01 dial has a much more positive feel.
09-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

What you said was,

A DSLR is a semi-pro/pro tool, not for beginners.
If you meant the K-3 please say so specifically.

And by the way I own a K-3. I do not consider myself a pro or even a semi-pro Photographer. Although I am not a Novice. The K-3 Is intended for a wide variety of abilities. Although I do not recommend learning on a K-3, it is not intended for the Semi Pro/Pro market Only. It is because of its appeal to a wide variety of photographers that it has such a following. And that is the way they intended it to be.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

09-21-2014, 02:32 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
What you said was,

If you meant the K-3 please say so specifically.

And by the way I own a K-3. I do not consider myself a pro or even a semi-pro Photographer. Although I am not a Novice. The K-3 Is intended for a wide variety of abilities. Although I do not recommend learning on a K-3, it is not intended for the Semi Pro/Pro market Only. It is because of its appeal to a wide variety of photographers that it has such a following. And that is the way they intended it to be.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.
I thought the thread title made it clear already, though you are right, I was too general. But I do maintain that a DSLR is at least meant for someone, who, even though he might not have the knowledge and experience yet, has the intention of learning it. While there are beginner modes on the camera, they always also have all the manual modes. I'd be fine if Pentax would do the same for video... maybe by default offer a limited mode for video for beginners, but also give the option, in the menu, to set it to advanced or pro.

Also, the terms pro or semi-pro also mean that you are earning money with your photography or videography, though in this case that's not what I meant. I was just talking about people who basically know what they are doing.
09-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I would also like to see more user program modes. Better yet, have the camera detect what lens was on it, and have 3 or more user-defined modes available for that lens. Example, I have a Sigma 150500mm OS that I use for wildlife and birds. I use AV mode, SR off. And depending on where the animal/bird is, I need either single point, 9 point, or 27 point focusing. And depending on the situation, i may change other settings. Provide memories space for at least a dozen lenses. Although some people might need more.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.