Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #16
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,216
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
When you want to prevent stray light from entering through the viewfinder - such as when doing a very long exposure for astro or real low ISO night shot.
There are two reasons to prevent light from entering the viewfinder:
  • During very long exposures or under very bright conditions to avoid light leaking
  • To prevent biasing the meter reading when your eye is not at the viewfinder
The second is probably the more common case and can be a serious concern when shooting in bright conditions. The difference can be 2 stops or more. Usually it is enough to shade the eyepiece with your thumb.


Steve

09-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #17
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,483
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There are two reasons to prevent light from entering the viewfinder:
  • During very long exposures or under very bright conditions to avoid light leaking
  • To prevent biasing the meter reading when your eye is not at the viewfinder
The second is probably the more common case and can be a serious concern when shooting in bright conditions. The difference can be 2 stops or more. Usually it is enough to shade the eyepiece with your thumb.


Steve
Never thought of the second one in all these years. I just hit AE Lock wheer it was absolutely necessary - which would be an issue with an LX, right?
09-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #18
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,216
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Never thought of the second one in all these years. I just hit AE Lock wheer it was absolutely necessary - which would be an issue with an LX, right?
It is a general issue for tripod work when auto-exposure is determined using sensors in the eyepiece optical path. As you note, a workaround is to set the AE lock. Another workaround is to use M mode. I used to be cavalier about stray light at the viewfinder until I started doing Av mode stop-down metering with M42 lenses and noticed the shutter speed number jump 2-3x in the top LCD as I moved away from the camera. Scary

Fortunately, it is not as big an issue with full-aperture metering, but still something to be aware of.


Steve
09-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,795
QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
Thanks, glad I didn't trash it.
So many folks do lose it before they realize they need it for certain types of shots, I bet you could sell it easily in the marketplace if you didn't want it.

09-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #20
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,483
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
So many folks do lose it before they realize they need it for certain types of shots, I bet you could sell it easily in the marketplace if you didn't want it.
Probably for $15. The flash shoe cover for my K-3 walked away and hid itself last week. The one from my K10D did that for two years. Then one day it just appeared on top of my dresser.

I refuse to seek or pay - but I may have to wait a very long time. We have Persian rugs and I have no contrast perception.
11-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 488
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Probably for $15. The flash shoe cover for my K-3 walked away and hid itself last week. The one from my K10D did that for two years. Then one day it just appeared on top of my dresser.

I refuse to seek or pay - but I may have to wait a very long time. We have Persian rugs and I have no contrast perception.
$15? Come now...only a $10 piece of plastic at B&H.

I'm not gonna lose that, but I will for sure lose the rubber eyecup when I put the cover on. So I figure I might as well upgrade my eyecup and keep 'em both around. Would be cool if the magnifying cup came with a little shutter so it could be used as a cover as well as a magnifier; aside from the obvious (tape) is there something you can stick on a spare eyecup to make a cover?
11-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #22
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
csa's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montana mountains
Posts: 8,186
I wonder if this would work without removing the rubber eyepiece cover?

Hama Eyepiece Cover Flash Shoe Mounted New | eBay

Regardless, it would be more difficult to lose this one!

(BTW; I do have the original that came with my K3). Just thought this might be of interest.
11-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 252
I cut out pieces of black or other dark card or heavy paper that would otherwise be thrown away and slip them under the rubber of the eyepiece when using live view. Can make up a batch at one time and leave them in the camera bag and there's no worries about losing the eye cup while it's removed.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, k-3, k3, pentax k-3
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What changes would you like for the K3? Ilovemypentax Pentax K-3 24 09-21-2014 01:01 PM
Eyepiece for K3? allandavid Visitors' Center 8 05-20-2014 05:01 PM
Suggestion Is it too early: A definite guide for the K3 AF "settings" ? jpzk Site Suggestions and Help 10 01-31-2014 07:36 PM
K3 manual - What is Ricoh thinking? Bob from Aus Pentax K-3 86 01-07-2014 03:13 PM
Is there an Eyepiece extender available for the k10d? Hannican Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 5 11-18-2007 10:10 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:31 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top