Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
When you want to prevent stray light from entering through the viewfinder - such as when doing a very long exposure for astro or real low ISO night shot.
There are two reasons to prevent light from entering the viewfinder:
  • During very long exposures or under very bright conditions to avoid light leaking
  • To prevent biasing the meter reading when your eye is not at the viewfinder
The second is probably the more common case and can be a serious concern when shooting in bright conditions. The difference can be 2 stops or more. Usually it is enough to shade the eyepiece with your thumb.

Steve

09-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #17
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There are two reasons to prevent light from entering the viewfinder:
  • During very long exposures or under very bright conditions to avoid light leaking
  • To prevent biasing the meter reading when your eye is not at the viewfinder
The second is probably the more common case and can be a serious concern when shooting in bright conditions. The difference can be 2 stops or more. Usually it is enough to shade the eyepiece with your thumb.

Steve
Never thought of the second one in all these years. I just hit AE Lock wheer it was absolutely necessary - which would be an issue with an LX, right?
09-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Never thought of the second one in all these years. I just hit AE Lock wheer it was absolutely necessary - which would be an issue with an LX, right?
It is a general issue for tripod work when auto-exposure is determined using sensors in the eyepiece optical path. As you note, a workaround is to set the AE lock. Another workaround is to use M mode. I used to be cavalier about stray light at the viewfinder until I started doing Av mode stop-down metering with M42 lenses and noticed the shutter speed number jump 2-3x in the top LCD as I moved away from the camera. Scary

Fortunately, it is not as big an issue with full-aperture metering, but still something to be aware of.

Steve
09-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
Thanks, glad I didn't trash it.
So many folks do lose it before they realize they need it for certain types of shots, I bet you could sell it easily in the marketplace if you didn't want it.

09-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #20
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
So many folks do lose it before they realize they need it for certain types of shots, I bet you could sell it easily in the marketplace if you didn't want it.
Probably for $15. The flash shoe cover for my K-3 walked away and hid itself last week. The one from my K10D did that for two years. Then one day it just appeared on top of my dresser.

I refuse to seek or pay - but I may have to wait a very long time. We have Persian rugs and I have no contrast perception.
11-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Probably for $15. The flash shoe cover for my K-3 walked away and hid itself last week. The one from my K10D did that for two years. Then one day it just appeared on top of my dresser.

I refuse to seek or pay - but I may have to wait a very long time. We have Persian rugs and I have no contrast perception.
$15? Come now...only a $10 piece of plastic at B&H.

I'm not gonna lose that, but I will for sure lose the rubber eyecup when I put the cover on. So I figure I might as well upgrade my eyecup and keep 'em both around. Would be cool if the magnifying cup came with a little shutter so it could be used as a cover as well as a magnifier; aside from the obvious (tape) is there something you can stick on a spare eyecup to make a cover?
11-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #22
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if this would work without removing the rubber eyepiece cover?

Hama Eyepiece Cover Flash Shoe Mounted New | eBay

Regardless, it would be more difficult to lose this one!

(BTW; I do have the original that came with my K3). Just thought this might be of interest.
11-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

I cut out pieces of black or other dark card or heavy paper that would otherwise be thrown away and slip them under the rubber of the eyepiece when using live view. Can make up a batch at one time and leave them in the camera bag and there's no worries about losing the eye cup while it's removed.