Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 121
What is the K3 eyepiece cover for?

I can't figure out why I would want to cover it up?

09-20-2014, 03:17 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,423
QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
I can't figure out why I would want to cover it up?
When you want to prevent stray light from entering through the viewfinder - such as when doing a very long exposure for astro or real low ISO night shot.
09-20-2014, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
Sometimes when you do a super long exposure shot, light can leak in through the eye piece past the mirror. The eyepiece cover prevents that.
09-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 355
And in addition, it is of course a cover and as such good to use in dusty or dirty areas to avoid build-up of dust/dirt in your end of the viewfinder.

09-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,992
The metering system in most SLRs is set up assuming that your ete will be covering the viewfinder. If you are shooting from a tripod and your eye isn't covering the finder, light entering the viewfinder will drastically change the metering.
09-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Fries's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gauw
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,888
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Sometimes when you do a super long exposure shot, light can leak in through the eye piece past the mirror. The eyepiece cover prevents that.
And it is my experience with the K-3 that you really have to use the eyepiece for those long exposures when the camera is mounted on a tripod and one typically doesn't look trough the viewfinder. Otherwise you can get some really weird photo's!
09-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 432
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
The metering system in most SLRs is set up assuming that your ete will be covering the viewfinder. If you are shooting from a tripod and your eye isn't covering the finder, light entering the viewfinder will drastically change the metering.
That's correct. I find it easier to keep a small piece of black gaffer tape in my bag and lightly cover the viewfinder than to remove the eyecup and use the cover . . . which I probably already lost anyway. I wouldn't think it hard to design an onboard cover of some type rather than a loose one, but apparently it is.
09-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,992
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
That's correct. I find it easier to keep a small piece of black gaffer tape in my bag and lightly cover the viewfinder than to remove the eyecup and use the cover . . . which I probably already lost anyway. I wouldn't think it hard to design an onboard cover of some type rather than a loose one, but apparently it is.
Some of the first auto-exposure Pentax cameras (ESII and K2DMD) came with built in viewfinder blinds.

09-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,342
You can easily convince yourself why you need this for long exposures with the K-3. Put it in Bulb and take two 3-minute exposures in an inside room, one with the eyepiece cover and one without. Use a low ISO.

Jack
09-20-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 121
Original Poster
Thanks, glad I didn't trash it.
09-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,255
QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
Thanks, glad I didn't trash it.
No kidding !!
09-21-2014, 05:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member
MJSfoto1956's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,287
Pentax eyepiece cover: the most glaring example of where the K-3 is not "pro quality".

YMMV

Michael
09-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #13
Site Supporter
PALADIN85020's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 397
It's worth noting that if you shoot in full manual mode no "light leak" will occur through the eyepiece, even if your eye is not behind the eyepiece. The black eyepiece shield is not necessary. I take a time-delay group shot of the family (so I can be in the picture) every Thanksgiving from a tripod, and use the manual mode for this reason. Also remember that in manual mode, the shake reduction feature is automatically turned off - the assumption is that you will use a tripod, which already stabilizes the camera.

John
09-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,329
QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
I.. Also remember that in manual mode, the shake reduction feature is automatically turned off - the assumption is that you will use a tripod, which already stabilizes the camera.

John
Not true... It does not turn off when in manual exposure mode or manual focus mode.

It will however turn off when you use self timer.
09-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #15
Site Supporter
PALADIN85020's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 397
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Not true... It does not turn off when in manual exposure mode or manual focus mode.

It will however turn off when you use self timer.
I stand corrected. Thanks.

John
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, k-3, k3, pentax k-3
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What changes would you like for the K3? Ilovemypentax Pentax K-3 24 09-21-2014 01:01 PM
Eyepiece for K3? allandavid Visitors' Center 8 05-20-2014 05:01 PM
Suggestion Is it too early: A definite guide for the K3 AF "settings" ? jpzk Site Suggestions and Help 10 01-31-2014 07:36 PM
K3 manual - What is Ricoh thinking? Bob from Aus Pentax K-3 86 01-07-2014 03:13 PM
Is there an Eyepiece extender available for the k10d? Hannican Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 5 11-18-2007 10:10 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:19 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top