Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2014, 08:03 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Perhaps the K-3 and other bodies may also need a firmware update to use the new Pentax tethering software.
It would be nice if they would generalize the feature to at least the K-3 and while they are at it, perhaps they would publish the programming interface (API) and maybe even provide an SDK to help third-party developers (like Adobe*) do product tie-ins.

I know...I know...In my wildest dreams...

Steve

* Adobe is able to provide direct tethering to Lightroom (Nikon and Canon only) because those makers have published the specifications. Other makers have not done so.

09-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I live in hope for me its bit of a deal breaker as I need to down load direct and the send online almost instantly.

I am happy with the HDMI instant view for quick client viewing but cant see how to use that to remotely capture or send images else where

perhaps as I said a couple of posts back I don't see why the k3 cant use it if it works for 645z.
09-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
perhaps as I said a couple of posts back I don't see why the k3 cant use it if it works for 645z.
I understand your reasoning here, but the answer may be something as simple as the difference in feature set between your K-5 and the K-30. Just because the K-3 apparently shares a significant amount of technology with the 645Z does not mean that the pieces required to do tethered operation* are present in both cameras. There is also the aspect of target market segmentation.

That being said, I am very hopeful that this feature will come to the K-3. Its USB 3.0 interface is just begging for a live tether.

Steve

* A direct dump to the wire might require a different buffering scheme requiring additional hardware. It is hard to tell.
09-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tethering should be a feature on the whole series. They had it on the ist and that rolled over to the K100d and it still worked well until I needed to upgrade the firmware and that killed it! Still grumpy about that! So in my little world view, Pentax should make it standard on all cameras and use it as another unique selling point!
Joel

09-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Except it would hardly be unique. Failing to have it is more unique.. And that's not a positive.
09-25-2014, 04:51 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last night I set up a focus target on a tripod, my K3 on another tripod, activated the Flucard wireless tethering directly into my desktop PC so I could view the images on my Eizo monitor. It worked like a charm.

I had the image in the Pentax utility within a second or two, and could then right click on the image to open it in whatever program I had set as the default reader for jpeg images ( in this case PS, but it could just as easily have been CO or LR)

Why is this not just as good a solution as wired tethering?
09-25-2014, 05:02 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Last night I set up a focus target on a tripod, my K3 on another tripod, activated the Flucard wireless tethering directly into my desktop PC so I could view the images on my Eizo monitor. It worked like a charm.

I had the image in the Pentax utility within a second or two, and could then right click on the image to open it in whatever program I had set as the default reader for jpeg images ( in this case PS, but it could just as easily have been CO or LR)

It isn't free. Anything else is a secondary consideration.

09-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The new 645Z software does a parallel write to the SD card and to a folder on the tethered computer. Both are very high-speed. If the folder is monitored (think DropBox), a subsequent (almost instant) write to the cloud is possible. Likewise it might be possible to script basic processing in real time for very fast publishing to the Web. The common use case is for youth sports photography where game photos are available for purchase before the kids leave the field

QuoteOriginally posted by baldeagle21b Quote
The FLU Card is not free and neither is the Imaging Transmitter 2 software ($$$). It would be nice if PKTether supported the K-3, but if the interface is opaque, we have no choice to wait until that changes and/or volunteer software coding skills to help figure it out.

Steve
09-25-2014, 10:39 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baldeagle21b Quote
I guess wireless tethering isn't all that important to you then, if you baulk at spending $100 to achieve it.

It seems very inexpensive to me.

---------- Post added 26th Sep 2014 at 17:03 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The new 645Z software does a parallel write to the SD card and to a folder on the tethered computer. Both are very high-speed. If the folder is monitored (think DropBox), a subsequent (almost instant) write to the cloud is possible. Likewise it might be possible to script basic processing in real time for very fast publishing to the Web. The common use case is for youth sports photography where game photos are available for purchase before the kids leave the field
Steve
Thanks for the info Steve.

I'm sure I read somewhere that as tethering is an option for the 645z, and that as it mostly shares the same architecture as the K-3 then it is possible that P/R will issue a firmware update to enable it on the K-3. (but maybe the word 'mostly' is the sticking point??)

I also read somewhere that adobe will support Pentax tethering in LR, due out somewhere around September 2014 (as in any time now), not that it will help if the K-3 wont support tethering.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1549621?start=0&tstart=0
09-25-2014, 11:36 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess wireless tethering isn't all that important to you then, if you baulk at spending $100 to achieve it.

It seems very inexpensive to me.
I think you might have missed the tone of his remark…
09-26-2014, 01:13 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I think you might have missed the tone of his remark…
We definitely need a sarcasm/irony button....
09-26-2014, 06:56 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Pentax need to lift their game - even Olympus does tethering now - and its free software.

olympuscapture | Olympus
QuoteQuote:
The E-M1’s tethered shooting capabilities and Olympus Capture software makes control possible from both the camera and the computer, completing your studio photography experience.

APPLICATION FEATURES:
- Mac and Windows compatible
- Camera Control and Data Transfer via USB 2.0
- All camera Controls available through Capture application
- Compatible with popular studio workflow applications from Adobe and Phase One
- Free download
- Compatible with Olympus OM-D E-M1 only
09-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #28
Unregistered User

I want that program for the K-3!!!
The "manual" focus was really neat.
09-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I also read somewhere that adobe will support Pentax tethering in LR, due out somewhere around September 2014 (as in any time now), not that it will help if the K-3 wont support tethering.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1549621?start=0&tstart=0
You misread that.

One person said "They say late Sept for Pentax's software" -- that's the software from pentax, which has indeed been announced in late september. Nothing to do with Adobe, except that the person was posting on the adobe forum.
09-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I want that program for the K-3!!!
The "manual" focus was really neat.
That is real cool and reminds me of the manual focus on my Canon G2 (also supported tethering out of the box). It would be nice to have an AF "nudge" feature in live view. In the mean time, I believe you can use the HDMI out to do magnified live view on an external HD monitor if you like that.

Steve