Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2014, 01:36 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Digital preview. Takes less than a second. Does not write file. Shows histogram and/or blinkies.

09-22-2014, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photographykn Quote
Hey Guys and Girls, i'm new to this forum

I'm mainly a portrait photographer using Canon (6D, 70D, 1200D) and I will continue using canon.
However i'd really like to get a K3 for it's weather durability, nice primes and focus peaking (and some other features)

I do have a couple of concerns...
My biggest being the slow write time of raw files (single shot)
You see, i often take a shot and check on screen how the lighting is and if the photos is sharp.
This goes near instant with canon RAW (even on the cheap 1200D)... I've been reading that on the K3 (and K5 II) this might take up to 15 seconds to preview an image after it has been shot (even when using a fast card)

Is this so ?

Also, does the selected focus point light up with the K3 ?
And how are the skin tones ?

many thanks !!
I sold my Canon 6D and went all K3 recently. K3 write times are not Canon fast but they are not slow by any means. If you blast off a row of RAW files, yes it takes time to write all the files. I used many Canon bodies since 2000. Canon is faster but what K3 offers way outweighs a slightly slower write time.

I shoot RAW so skin tones are always "tweaked" to my taste. My images have that 3D look with Pentax that Canon images never had. Another thing you will notice immediately is that you will not do any sharpening in PS with K3. I used to always sharpen my Canon images in post. I am yet to sharpen a single image from the K3 after 3 months of shooting.
09-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
To be fair, the k-3 is 24MP. The 70D is 20MP, and the older canons are 18MP.

The focus peaking and manual focus on the k-3 screen is the best out of all the Pentax cameras (I've used a k-x, K-01, and k-30 also). I thought focus peaking was a bit weak on the K-01 so I didn't enjoy using manual focus - but on the k-3 it is fantastic. Combined with the 10x zoom and it makes manual focus on a tripod amazing (and I needed it when I was doing night shots where my lenses went past infinity focus).
09-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ooh and how is the focus peaking ?
would love to use some old m42 glass on i
In my opinion, it only really comes into its own when in magnified live view. It that mode it is awesome.

Steve

09-22-2014, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter

Is it me or is this a "test" thread from what I am reading in the opening post ?
09-23-2014, 02:04 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Focus peaking really opens up a whole new world for manual focus. Really cool seeing the line of focus move back and forth as you turn the focus ring. But to be honest I don't use it unless I'm on a tripod, just not used to holding the camera and manually focusing while using live view. But for product shots from a tripod, it is a really great feature.
I haven't tried focus peaking but there is one point I'd like to understand better. As we normaly fine tune autofocus objectives, is there any general AF tuning that needs to be done to make sure focus peaking works fine with manuals? I think of "Apply All" fine AF adjustment. Thanks
09-23-2014, 07:28 AM   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

So if i take a raw photo and push play button the photo will pop up instantly ?
No, that's not what Adam said. If you have the camera set for Instant Review the image will appear on the rear LCD immediately after you take the picture. It doesn't require you to push the play button.
09-23-2014, 08:17 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phatio Quote
I haven't tried focus peaking but there is one point I'd like to understand better. As we normaly fine tune autofocus objectives, is there any general AF tuning that needs to be done to make sure focus peaking works fine with manuals? I think of "Apply All" fine AF adjustment. Thanks
AF tuning will affect the 'green hex' AF confirm light for viewfinder AF. However, focus peaking is only available in LiveView so using the CDAF system not the PDAF system. So to answer your question, no, the CDAF system has no adjustment you are seeing what the sensor sees.

09-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #24
Pentaxian

If I remember tonight, I'll record the multiple functions and their speeds (taking a shot and the instant preview, taking a shot and preview and taking a shot again, taking a shot and going into Playback, etc).
09-23-2014, 11:45 PM   #25

AF tuning will affect the 'green hex' AF confirm light for viewfinder AF. However, focus peaking is only available in LiveView so using the CDAF system not the PDAF system. So to answer your question, no, the CDAF system has no adjustment you are seeing what the sensor sees.
Thanks. I think I could try focus peaking via Live View and then see if the green hex confirms at the same focus settings. If not, I could try to setup an "apply all" fine af setting. Is that right? I have two Pentax zooms and surprisingly they require the same fine AF tuning. I am jus wondering whether the same bias could also apply to manual focus as it might be camera related. What do you think?
09-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phatio Quote
Thanks. I think I could try focus peaking via Live View and then see if the green hex confirms at the same focus settings. If not, I could try to setup an "apply all" fine af setting. Is that right? I have two Pentax zooms and surprisingly they require the same fine AF tuning. I am jus wondering whether the same bias could also apply to manual focus as it might be camera related. What do you think?
Modern DSLRs include three separate focusing systems:
1) PDAF - this is the through the viewfinder system which also controls the green hex AF confirm on Pentax DSLRs this system is subject to minor differences in manufacturing tolerances and many cameras include an AF fine system to account for that.

2) CDAF - this is the system that is used in Live view. There is no AF tuning or correction available, it is 100% accurate as it is based on what the sensor sees. However, it is often slower than PDAF and requires the mirror to be up and the sensor 'live' in order to work.

3) Manual focus - this is little changed from film SLR cameras and works by showing the photographer a view of the image through the lens on a small piece of ground glass called a focusing screen. The only adjustment for this is by modifying the shims underneath the focusing screen. A process that is quite involved and not recommended for casual users. it is also very, very rarely needed unless you change out the focusing screen for a different brand.

So to answer your question, if you are using the green hex to confirm manual focus then yes you might need an adjustment. However, the green hex is not particularly accurate as it has too much slop in it. In other words the 'range' that the green hex will consider in focus is often wider than the actual focus range, particularly on fast lenses. For manual focusing it is better to use the more accurate focusing screen. This often takes practice to train your eye.

Also, manual focus lenses often do not have a chip in them to identify them to the camera so there is no AF fine tuning available, only the apply all function will work.

Testing the focus on both live view and manual (or green hex) and comparing is a valid test. Provided it is conducted on a tripod with no possibility of movement.
09-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Modern DSLRs include three separate focusing systems:
...four if you include magnified live view with focus peaking. It is my practice to use this as the standard to measure the others against.

Steve
09-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...four if you include magnified live view with focus peaking. It is my practice to use this as the standard to measure the others against.
I lumped that into Liveview, but you are correct it deserves separate mention.
09-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #29

Original Poster
sorry for the late reply but thanks for all the help guys
does anybody have some K3 portrait samples ?
09-25-2014, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

sorry for the late reply but thanks for all the help guys
does anybody have some K3 portrait samples ?
Just browse through this thread...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241198-k3-sample-shots-post-here.html