Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #1

Doubting about the Pentax K3, just a few questions

Hey Guys and Girls, i'm new to this forum

I'm mainly a portrait photographer using Canon (6D, 70D, 1200D) and I will continue using canon.
However i'd really like to get a K3 for it's weather durability, nice primes and focus peaking (and some other features)

I do have a couple of concerns...
My biggest being the slow write time of raw files (single shot)
You see, i often take a shot and check on screen how the lighting is and if the photos is sharp.
This goes near instant with canon RAW (even on the cheap 1200D)... I've been reading that on the K3 (and K5 II) this might take up to 15 seconds to preview an image after it has been shot (even when using a fast card)

Is this so ?

Also, does the selected focus point light up with the K3 ?
And how are the skin tones ?

many thanks !!

09-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photographykn Quote
I've been reading that on the K3 (and K5 II) this might take up to 15 seconds to preview an image after it has been shot (even when using a fast card)
OMG where did you read that?? The k-3 is as close to instant as I've ever seen. One of the huge improvements over k-5 (which was not a slouch) is the general responsiveness, to button presses, write times and so on. Whole new processor on board from the k-5. That said, k-5 or k-5II never had a 15 second delay. Never. 2 or 3, maybe.
Also, does the selected focus point light up with the K3 ?
Yes they do.
And how are the skin tones ?
Good as far as I'm concerned, though with RAW isn't that more of a PP issue? Anyway, I'm happy with skin tones as long as the WB is correct. AWB is about the best I've ever used but even so I like to do set it manually in the studio. Outside or when not using studio lights AWB is usually right on.
09-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This goes near instant with canon RAW (even on the cheap 1200D)... I've been reading that on the K3 (and K5 II) this might take up to 15 seconds to preview an image after it has been shot (even when using a fast card)
It takes 2.6 seconds in RAW and 1.1 in JPEG. However, the instant review is instant if you just want to look at the file rather than entering playback mode.

Review: Pentax K-3 - Performance and Burst Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
While the K-3 is writing files to its card, playback mode and the menu system are inaccessible for about 6 seconds (JPEG fine mode) or 15 seconds (RAW mode) after the last frame. You can always enter live view mode or continue shooting through the viewfinder, however.

from this review Review: Pentax K-3 - Performance and Burst Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I also had the chance to use a K5 briefly and this really annoyed me (and even made the camera unusable for "professional" use)
i can hardly tell a model "wait 15 seconds , i have to see if the photo is 100% sharp"

09-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #5

Original Poster
Great to read this, yea that's where i got it
So if i take a raw photo and push play button the photo will pop up instantly ?
I had a K5 on use for a short while (not the II) and it really took ages there (ok it was a slow sd card but still )
09-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

While the K-3 is writing files to its card, playback mode and the menu system are inaccessible for about 6 seconds (JPEG fine mode) or 15 seconds (RAW mode) after the last frame. You can always enter live view mode or continue shooting through the viewfinder, however.
If you're shooting a full-buffer burst.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
15 seconds??? BS

09-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #8

Original Poster
ooh and how is the focus peaking ?
would love to use some old m42 glass on i
09-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've shot multiframe bursts at airshows and shooting wildlife and never waited more than a couple of seconds. The only time I ever wait more than that is long exposures (over 30 seconds) when the camera is doing it's dark frame for noise reduction, and that's not going to be an issue in a studio environment.
09-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
ooh and how is the focus peaking ?
would love to use some old m42 glass on i
Focus peaking is one function that I enjoyed immensely when I owned the K-3 as it made working with older glass a more efficient process. I really wish Canon would institute this on their new cameras, and issue a firmware patch for older models. The Magic Lantern hack does provide focus peaking.

M
09-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #11

Original Poster
Yea i wish canon would implent Focus peaking, apperently the GX mark II has it but that's a fixed lens small camera :/
why can't they put it in the new 7D or indeed firmware.

I have indeed read about the hack,but the 70D, 6D and 1200D are not (yet ?) supported

---------- Post added 09-22-14 at 11:44 AM ----------

PS, Miguel, why don't you own the K3 anymore ?
09-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

once you shoot a k-3, the 70D and 1200D become fisher price toys.... and thats coming from an ex canon shooter that had an xxD camera.
09-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ooh and how is the focus peaking ? would love to use some old m42 glass on i
Focus peaking really opens up a whole new world for manual focus. Really cool seeing the line of focus move back and forth as you turn the focus ring. But to be honest I don't use it unless I'm on a tripod, just not used to holding the camera and manually focusing while using live view. But for product shots from a tripod, it is a really great feature.
09-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've only had that kind of delay when I've loaded the buffer completely with 15+ raw photos (that's on a K5 with a memory card faster than the K5 can handle). And if you weren't aware, even after the buffer has been completely loaded, it will still keep taking photos at a slower rate (I think it/s about 2/second?).
09-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
Just make sure you have a fast enough card. When I bought my K-3, I popped in my Sandisk Ultra that is rated for 30MB/s. I've had some RAW files come in at just over 38 MB, so having a card that will write much faster is important. I then purchased a Sandisk Extreme Pro that is rated for 95MB/s and haven't had any issues. I use the older card in the second slot when I either shoot RAWx2 or RAW+, then its a little slow.