Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2014, 10:35 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had some issues in the beginning with mirror flutter two or three times and a lock up once or twice. The lock ups got resolved with firmware update. Do not remember exactly since it has been many months and well over 25000 shutter releases since it happened. Bought mine in november 2013. I use it more or less every day. Had the K-5 before but sold it after a week or two with the K-3. I am happy and have never looked back,

09-28-2014, 05:16 AM   #17

Original Poster
Is there a site where onwe can compare e.g. Canon and Pentax lenses based on performance, price, features and value? Sort of like an easy overview table?
09-28-2014, 05:58 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nicolaidenmark Quote
Is there a site where onwe can compare e.g. Canon and Pentax lenses based on performance, price, features and value? Sort of like an easy overview table?
dpreview.com?
09-28-2014, 06:45 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Not that I know of. But what, really, is a lens' performance? I suppose edge to edge sharpness could be a measurable factor, but at what f-stop? And how would you weigh max speed? Micro contrast? Not to mention immeasurables such as bokeh and colour rendering?

I used to look only at sharpness (which can be of importance, certainly), but some of my favourite lenses now are not my sharpest, and some of my sharpest don't see much use...

Of course, the same lens can behave differently on different bodies, so you have to factor that in as well. I suppose that's what DxO aims to measure, but I don't find their results very interesting.

In short, I don't think there is any substitute to, preferably, trying the different systems yourself, or to study images taken with different lens+camera combinations.

And remember: It's not the arrow, it's the Indian!

09-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #20

Original Poster
I most admit that, whilst I'd like a Pentax K-3 for the awesome grip / handle and weather sealing, I find the list of users to have experienced problems with their K-3 to be massive. Wonder what the percentage of users on this forum who have experienced problems is?

Also, is there a good, fast cheap prime with Pentax? Canon offers a 35 or 50 mm 1.4 if I remember correctly. My friend has the Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD for his Canon and whilst a bit slower, I figure the counterpart to this lens on the Pentax site is the 55-300 HD WR.

Which prime is better for portraits in general? a 35 or 500 mm.? I have also read instances of a Pentax Flash not working with the K-3.
09-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #21
Veteran Member

You seem determined to be talked into not buying a K-3, so my advice is don't buy one, you'll likely be disappointed/dissatisfied/displeased about one thing or another.
09-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #22
Site Supporter

I most admit that, whilst I'd like a Pentax K-3 for the awesome grip / handle and weather sealing, I find the list of users to have experienced problems with their K-3 to be massive. Wonder what the percentage of users on this forum who have experienced problems is?
As has already been said, the percentage is probably small. But some of those unfortunate enough to experience them tend to be very vocal about it.

And also as said, those who have actually bothered to send in their defect cameras have got them back fixed. Which makes it reasonable to assume that cameras being produced now do not have this problem at all.

QuoteQuote:
Also, is there a good, fast cheap prime with Pentax? Canon offers a 35 or 50 mm 1.4 if I remember correctly. My friend has the Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD for his Canon and whilst a bit slower, I figure the counterpart to this lens on the Pentax site is the 55-300 HD WR.

Which prime is better for portraits in general? a 35 or 500 mm.?
f1.4? No, then you would have to buy Sigma if you want lenses currently in production. Pentax' cheap primes would be 35/2.4 and 50/1.8 - of which the 50 will generally be considered as best suited for portraiture.

The 55-300 is better than the 70-300 from Tamron and Sigma even though it's slightly slower at 300mm (at least on paper - the f-stops printed on lenses are never accurate, and neither are the focal lengths, come to think of it).

QuoteQuote:
I have also read instances of a Pentax Flash not working with the K-3.
Then you have read more than I have... Are you sure it's not problems with bounce flash on the K-5 series you have read about?
09-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax FA 50/1.4 is still available new at the stores in Sweden...

09-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
As has already been said, the percentage is probably small. But some of those unfortunate enough to experience them tend to be very vocal about it.

And also as said, those who have actually bothered to send in their defect cameras have got them back fixed. Which makes it reasonable to assume that cameras being produced now do not have this problem at all.

f1.4? No, then you would have to buy Sigma if you want lenses currently in production. Pentax' cheap primes would be 35/2.4 and 50/1.8 - of which the 50 will generally be considered as best suited for portraiture.

The 55-300 is better than the 70-300 from Tamron and Sigma even though it's slightly slower at 300mm (at least on paper - the f-stops printed on lenses are never accurate, and neither are the focal lengths, come to think of it).

Then you have read more than I have... Are you sure it's not problems with bounce flash on the K-5 series you have read about?

Ehat makes the HD 55-300 WR better- only the weather sealing?
09-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
The Pentax FA 50/1.4 is still available new at the stores in Sweden...
Good point. But the FA isn't really what I would call budget - not like the DA anyway.

Ehat makes the HD 55-300 WR better- only the weather sealing?
No, the non-WR ones are, too. But I really have to trust others when it comes to Sigma/Tamron:
Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 AF Di LD Macro Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
09-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't had any issues with this on my K3, except a couple of times early on with an off brand battery.

That said, my understanding is that this is now a fixable issue via the firmware from Pentax, if you should happen to get a camera that has this problem.
09-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
... K5 but mine has been going strong for 3 years without a problem. When something goes wrong on a camera, somebody will post about it. When everything works, you hear nothing. ....
K5 also 3 yrs old
It works
09-28-2014, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter

I think most of the important points have been covered, I'll add my two cents worth. I have had my K3 for three months now, I bought it second hand from a fredmiranda.com forum post. It has been absolutely the BEST camera I have ever owned. It has never failed, never mirror fluttered, never locked up. I have had Canons for years and very few lenses because of budget. My last Canon, a 50D, was not bad but ergonomics were somewhat frustrating. My hands just never felt comfortable on it or the 20D before it. So I sold all my Canon gear(not much) and went with the Pentax. The main reasons for me were the ergonomics(which,IMO are unmatched) and the ability to use legacy lenses. For me, to be able to find a useful lens for 35.00(what I paid for a Vivitar 55mm Macro, God I love this lens but that is another story) just cannot be done with Canon or Nikon that I can see. So for the current price of a K3, you are not buying a 7100, which IMHO does not perform to the same level, the 7Dmk2 will be twice the price and the other Canon offerings feel like toy cameras comparatively. So you need to figure out what is important to you, but one thing I would not let color your decision is this rare mirror flutter that is nearly non-existant in most bodies.
Rick
09-29-2014, 03:25 AM   #29

Original Poster
BTW: I'm interested in wildlife (birds) photography and have a 2.5 year old son running around the house and in our garden. Is the AF speed of the K-3 good enough for these types of photos? I take it the Canon 70D is faster?
09-29-2014, 05:00 AM   #30
Site Supporter

The K3 is able to handle a moving child as well as birding. If you visit the Clubsnap Singapore site, Photos taken by Pentax cameras for tech. discussion - Season VI, there are more samples of photos.