Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #31

Original Poster
Well, the Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, to me, looks like it's a different lens than the ones tested above. I was keen on the HD 50-300 mm., but the autofocus of this lens is criticized, and I want it to be my wildlife lens, AF is important.

As for using old (legacy?) lenses, it sounds awesome to find a good, low cost lens but I cannot work out the way Pentax name their lenses.

Takumar lenses are supposed to be good, but I won't get these as they are radioactive.

Is there an overview of the Pentax lenses compatible with the K-3? Preferably describing the advantages and disadvantages of each, such as manual focus or aperture. I don't know what M42 nor "screwdrive" (or whatever it is called means.

Can anybody tell me how the buffer of the K-3 does against that of the 70D? Camerarec Toby did a 70D buffer test and got hundreds of jpeg shots (blank frames with lens cap on) before the buffer filled.

The only video I have been able to find showing the performance of the K-3 in this regard is this video:

09-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nicolaidenmark Quote
Well, the Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, to me, looks like it's a different lens than the ones tested above. I was keen on the HD 50-300 mm., but the autofocus of this lens is criticized, and I want it to be my wildlife lens, AF is important.

As for using old (legacy?) lenses, it sounds awesome to find a good, low cost lens but I cannot work out the way Pentax name their lenses.

Takumar lenses are supposed to be good, but I won't get these as they are radioactive.

Is there an overview of the Pentax lenses compatible with the K-3? Preferably describing the advantages and disadvantages of each, such as manual focus or aperture. I don't know what M42 nor "screwdrive" (or whatever it is called means.

Can anybody tell me how the buffer of the K-3 does against that of the 70D? Camerarec Toby did a 70D buffer test and got hundreds of jpeg shots (blank frames with lens cap on) before the buffer filled.

The only video I have been able to find showing the performance of the K-3 in this regard is this video:

Pentax Ricoh K-3 Serienbild Feuer (mode HIgh) - YouTube
I think the DA 55-300 would be the best of the lenses that you mention, but all of them are consumer lenses. They are capable of decent results in the right settings, but they do need a decent amount of light. The Tamron 70-300 and Sigma 70-300 lenses are OK as well, although if you really want to do a lot of birding, you would probably be better going with one of the Sigma 50-500 options.
09-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #33

Any lens with a Pentax K mount will fit on your camera. The lenses section of this forum is very helpful in finding lenses to use with your camera. M42 is a screw mount that pre-dated K mount lenses and require adaptors to use, really more for advanced users that are seeking to use a specific lens. Most lenses that have an A on the aperture ring are called automatics and will work with the aperture settings in the camera. Most of the other manual lenses require stop down metering, which is quite easy to do. Almost all "legacy" lenses are manual focus. Screwdrive that you mentioned is just a type of early auto focus technology that the K3 will work with. This is a bonus for those that have early auto focus lenses that do not have motors built in to them, thus the drive is in the body. This makes the lenses available to you open up to a very wide variety of choices. Takumar was actualy Pentax's lower priced lenses for the most part(not 100%) FYI. Most Pentax SMC lenses work great on the K3, as long as you understand the caveats above. I love the ability to use glass from the 70's on my camera. I may not be getting the best use of the equipment but I am having a blast. Lens hunting can become an addiction so beware.
Rick

Last edited by rikracer; 09-29-2014 at 01:19 PM.
09-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #34

Original Poster
Does the K-3 have a floating exposure meter in the viewfinder and in live view? A meter that "floats in real time, thus, helping me to achieve correct exposure?

09-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #35
Veteran Member

It has an indicator that tells you if you're under/over exposed and by how many stops.
09-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #36

Original Poster
Cool.
09-30-2014, 01:12 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
About the comparison with a D7100, the Pentax had slightly faster AF, the D7100 had slightly better tracking. I've had one instance of mirror flap in 20,000 exposures. But I do't do time lapse. Hope that helps...

10-01-2014, 12:17 AM   #38

Original Poster
What firmware was installed when the flap happened?
10-01-2014, 05:38 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nicolaidenmark Quote
I most admit that, whilst I'd like a Pentax K-3 for the awesome grip / handle and weather sealing, I find the list of users to have experienced problems with their K-3 to be massive. Wonder what the percentage of users on this forum who have experienced problems is?

Also, is there a good, fast cheap prime with Pentax? Canon offers a 35 or 50 mm 1.4 if I remember correctly. My friend has the Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD for his Canon and whilst a bit slower, I figure the counterpart to this lens on the Pentax site is the 55-300 HD WR.

Which prime is better for portraits in general? a 35 or 500 mm.? I have also read instances of a Pentax Flash not working with the K-3.
I've only had a K-3 for a couple months but have had zero lockups and zero runaway mirror actuations. Hope that helps.
10-02-2014, 12:28 AM   #40

Original Poster
What about the flash issues? Doesn't flash work as intended with K-3 (read that it's delayed)?
10-02-2014, 01:50 AM   #41
Unregistered User

There are dedicated threads you can read that answers all your questions. Good luck.
10-02-2014, 02:54 PM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
There are dedicated threads you can read that answers all your questions. Good luck.
What he said. You seem to be very well-versed on the K-3 and its competitors including the reported issues. There are first-person accounts for all known K-3 bugs and failings here and in the Troubleshooting section of this site. You can assume that the important stuff that does work well is unlikely to result in a thread.

Good luck!

Steve
10-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #43

Original Poster
I have now read through the troubleshooting section. I don't see any threads on the mirror flap there but a few (one with a lot of users listed who have experienced this problem) in the K-3 section. Same goes for the flash (PTTL?) problem.

I'd like a K-3, really, but reliability is first priority for me.
10-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you are safe, but do what you think best. A K5 II is possibly a little "safer" option, if you don't need all of the features of a K3.
10-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I was planing to shoot some time lapses or interval 4K videos and it mostly occurred during that if I read correctly from other users.
That's pretty much correct. For most users it's a minor annoyance.. for time lapses or interval shooting, it seems to be more of a pain. I've had one occurrence in 20,000 exposures, and it was 15 seconds of surprise.. at about 10,000 shutter actuations.