Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2014, 06:03 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Part II of my K3 review, shooting architecture

I have posted the second chapter of my extensive review of the Pentax K3 on my blog. This installment covers use of the K3 as an architectural camera using the live view composition adjustment feature. I tested it out during one of my regular assignments. I use the Canon with TS-E lenses as my clients sometimes require huge prints, however the K3 could replace the Canon for my travel work. I find this very exciting.

If you have interest in this feature you will find my review at Foto Gizmo Plus

Last edited by Aboudd; 09-28-2014 at 10:36 AM.
09-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Refreshingly different review style. Looking forward to part III.
09-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Link?
09-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Link?
Click on the words Foto Gizmo Plus

09-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aboudd Quote
I have posted the second chapter of my extensive review of the Pentax K3 on my blog. This installment covers use of the K3 as an architectural camera using the live view composition adjustment feature. I tested it out during one of my regular assignments. I use the Canon with TS-E lenses as my clients sometimes require huge prints, however the K3 could replace the Canon for my travel work. I find this very exciting.

Enjoyed reading Parts 1 and 2. I like this approach of reviewing equipment, ie. in practical usage. Of course, it's not possible to cover every aspect to suit every reader's needs, but it's still a very good approach which gives a good "feel" of what the equipment is like in use, and it's capabilities. Thank you!
09-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a good review. Thanks.
09-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the review. I do have a question regarding the viewfinder. Compared to a full frame camera how is the viewfinder. I have a K5 and a K5-IIs and find the viewfinder a bit of a challenge. I have a lot of manual focus lenses and I find that on my older film cameras focus seems to snap into view a lot better on them. I haven't handled a K3 but I have seen some favorable comments on the viewfinder.
09-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Thanks for the review. I do have a question regarding the viewfinder. Compared to a full frame camera how is the viewfinder. I have a K5 and a K5-IIs and find the viewfinder a bit of a challenge. I have a lot of manual focus lenses and I find that on my older film cameras focus seems to snap into view a lot better on them. I haven't handled a K3 but I have seen some favorable comments on the viewfinder.
I had a K5 two years ago but I really don't remember the viewfinder. I know I was happy with the images I shot in Iceland with it. You can see those on my web site, the address is below, just go to the Travels tab. The viewfinder on the K3 seems fine to me. I have no trouble seeing it for the most part, I can focus the 70MM 2.4 manually in dim light without a problem. It is better of courts when I use the Sigma 18-35 1.8. With my aging eyes I am happy to see anything, which is another reason I shoot tethered with my Canons on my architectural assignments, but I digress. I think film cameras had brighter and better optical prisms than the current crop of DSLR. Perhaps the manufacturers feel that with AF and LCD review it isn't necessary (read cheaper) to build cameras with high quality pentaprisms, but that is just my opinion.

Last edited by Aboudd; 09-28-2014 at 01:11 PM.
09-28-2014, 02:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I am simply amazed to learn that the K-3 will allow any lens to act like a shift lens by using the adjustment feature in live view. Am I to understand that the rear wheel will actually tilt the sensor up or down, hopefully so as to compensate for the architectural keystone effect? What a bonus!

I'm confused in that the icon for the wheel on the screen shows rotational change rather than tilt change, and yet the tilt icon clearly shows degrees of tilt up or down. Clarification? Please - I need more education on this; the blasted owner's manual gives only minimal information.

Thanks
John
09-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
I am simply amazed to learn that the K-3 will allow any lens to act like a shift lens by using the adjustment feature in live view. Am I to understand that the rear wheel will actually tilt the sensor up or down, hopefully so as to compensate for the architectural keystone effect? What a bonus!

I'm confused in that the icon for the wheel on the screen shows rotational change rather than tilt change, and yet the tilt icon clearly shows degrees of tilt up or down. Clarification? Please - I need more education on this; the blasted owner's manual gives only minimal information.

Thanks
John
Hi John,

First of all, there is no tilt function, it is a shift function. You cannot increase or decrease depth of field as with the tilt function on th Canon TS-e or Nikon PC-e lenses. The wheel on the back of the camera changes the rotation (level) of the image. The buttons around the OK center button control direction up/down and left/right.
09-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Hi John,

First of all, there is no tilt function, it is a shift function. You cannot increase or decrease depth of field as with the tilt function on th Canon TS-e or Nikon PC-e lenses. The wheel on the back of the camera changes the rotation (level) of the image. The buttons around the OK center button control direction up/down and left/right.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I got my hopes up too high on this. I'll have to continue to correct for the keystone effect in post. Rotational and attitude correction seems irrelevant to me, inasmuch as this can be done with any good tripod head and the K-3's level indicator. Rats. I thought Pentax was really on to something useful. Again, thanks for the added info.

John
09-29-2014, 02:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

well I have now set my K-3 to always default to this mode. Only requires another click to get to the other menu items, but it is a great reminder of a hidden gem inside our Pentax cameras! Thanks so much.

Michael
09-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Just a reminder that Compensation Adjustment must be turned off when using the Flucard to get full functionality. Not sure why this is the case. Would be nice if it wasn't.

Jack
09-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Just a reminder that Compensation Adjustment must be turned off when using the Flucard to get full functionality. Not sure why this is the case. Would be nice if it wasn't.
boo hiss!!
I guess Pentax engineers have an easy answer for us: use U1, U2, or U3

m
09-30-2014, 03:23 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I got my hopes up too high on this. I'll have to continue to correct for the keystone effect in post. Rotational and attitude correction seems irrelevant to me, inasmuch as this can be done with any good tripod head and the K-3's level indicator. Rats. I thought Pentax was really on to something useful. Again, thanks for the added info.

John
I think you may have the wrong impression about tilt/shift lenses. The Keystone effect is caused when the sensor (or film plane) is not parallel to the subject. In other words, the camera is in a position where it must be angled up or down to photograph the subject. The tilt factor on a tilt/shift lens controls the depth of field. A shift factor allows one to recompose to avoid angling the camera in the first place as to get rid of excess foreground in the image. The shift function offered in the Composition Adjustment on the K3 does mimic a shift lens to a smaller degree, so it will avoid for the Keystone effect by repositioning the image with the shift so the camera does not have to shoot up on an angle as shown in the sample images in the blog post. The feature is indeed quite useful as long as you don't expect it to act as a view camera.

I hope I explained this clearly.