Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Can the Flucard or an Eyefi card be used to import RAW images into Lightroom?

Hi,

with my K-3 on the way I wonder if I could use the second SD slot for a Wifi card like the Flucard or an Eyefi card. I am pretty much looking for a replacement for the USB cable (one less thing to carry around) to import images into Lightroom and then delete them from the camera. Is this possible? I have read several reviews and I am still not 100% sure how the Flucard or the EyeFi card works.

Does anybody have experience with this? Does the Flucard present itself to Lightroom as another SD card?

10-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
I have read several reviews and I am still not 100% sure how the Flucard or the EyeFi card works.
With the Pentax flucard, you're given a web interface where you can download images, similar to how you'd download image off of a google image search, to put it simply. The camera doesn't mount as an external drive, and it's also somewhat slow, so it isn't really a replacement for a USB cable. The main advantage is the ability to control the camera remotely and blow up individual files.

This video should help you understand how it works:
Wireless Tethering with the K-3: A Demo - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I guess it's not what I was looking for. Although controlling the camera through the phone looks pretty interesting.
10-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #4

This may not be a complete Lightroom solution, but somewhat. See my past post below:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/253672-flucard-impressions...ml#post2784488

You may translate Japanese to English by using Chrome translation.

10-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I do have an eyefi pro X2 SD card and it will upload the files to your PC in the location of your choosing (given that your eyefi and PC are connected to the same network.

The Card connects to your existing Wifi network instead of acting as an access point. the software provided allows you to select the location to save your files. Just so I am crystal clear, if you motor drive 10-20 shots, you will be waiting for a while before the files are available, it is NOT instantaneous.

Then it's just a matter of Syncing your LR when you want to see your new pictures. There might even be a way to automate that but I have not investigated.

Too bad that the Flu Card doesn't do that...

Enjoy,
Marc
10-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Then it's just a matter of Syncing your LR when you want to see your new pictures. There might even be a way to automate that but I have not investigated.
Your suggestion regarding automation caused me to do a more thorough investigation. Lightroom does support automated import from a "watched" folder.
File > Auto Import
Coupled with the suggestion regarding using an EyeFi card to save to a publicly shared folder/directory of a computer on the same network you would have the equivalent of rudimentary tethering into Lightroom. The same may also be done using a USB cable.

Steve
10-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Ha! Thanks for the info, I'm going to implement this.

Just want to add that I have transfered 12 megapickles photos with the eyefi and the raw did take a bit of time. I will also try some transfers from the 24mp K3 for fun...

---------- Post added Oct 2nd, 2014 at 21:52 ----------

It takes about 1m45 to transfer a 24mp raw file to the PC. Not blazing fast.

Last edited by mamethot; 10-02-2014 at 06:52 PM.
10-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Ha! Thanks for the info, I'm going to implement this.

Just want to add that I have transfered 12 megapickles photos with the eyefi and the raw did take a bit of time. I will also try some transfers from the 24mp K3 for fun...

---------- Post added Oct 2nd, 2014 at 21:52 ----------

It takes about 1m45 to transfer a 24mp raw file to the PC. Not blazing fast.

Oh wow. That's around 100s per picture. So if you have 100 pictures you are at 2 hours 45 minutes. Some of my outdoor sports shoots have up 1000 pictures. That's definitely not viable.

10-02-2014, 09:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

With the K-3 if you shoot RAW usb 3.0 is the ONLY way to go for transferring pictures. Otherwise a full 32G card or around 1000 pictures takes around 30 minutes or more to transfer via usb 2.0. I'd hate to think of transferring that much via wifi!

RAW with the K-3 is outstanding for tight crops etc but DANG the files are big!!! My first hard drive years ago was 10M and we thought that was HUGE at the time. It would BARELY hold a RAW from my K200D.
10-03-2014, 04:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I have never been able to get better tranfser rates than with an external car reader.

At least double the speed of the USB 3 cable on the K3. As a matter of fact I suspect the connector to be USB3 but the actual hardware inside USB2...

Last edited by mamethot; 10-03-2014 at 05:34 AM.
10-03-2014, 07:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The main advantage is the ability to control the camera remotely and blow up individual files.
This is what's been making me consider upgrading my K5IIs, but I wanted some feedback on how it works. Ideally I'd like to be able to use my ipad as a remote device, and the biggest advantage I see is a greatly expanded live view for critical focusing. Does the flu card work this way, i.e. can I use a tablet for live view focusing?
10-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Indeed!

It will focus (in AF) to the location you touch on the screen.
10-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
This is what's been making me consider upgrading my K5IIs, but I wanted some feedback on how it works. Ideally I'd like to be able to use my ipad as a remote device, and the biggest advantage I see is a greatly expanded live view for critical focusing. Does the flu card work this way, i.e. can I use a tablet for live view focusing?
See the video in post #2 for a live demonstration. The short answer is yes. But the K-3 also offers improved live view magnification plus focus pealing, so you do not need an external monitor to precisely adjust the focus.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: