Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #31
PT1
Forum Member

OK, I know there's a sharpening setting in Develop as well as Export, but haven't experimented with them. I could guess it's best not to use too much sharpening in Develop?

My laptop LCD probably shows about 120 DPI, but with small black bars (I can see the 'pixel grid' at when close to the 17" screen)

Maybe in a print, the inks might merge without any gaps at all, unlike the LCD screen?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
  Photo 
10-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Absolutely true, with an upsample you are filling in the blanks with the software's best estimate of what should be there. In other words the RIP is making up data with the hope that nobody will notice. The result is visually smooth (no strokes or grain), but the image is false.
Is it not the case, though, with a Bayer-pattern colour sensor, that this actually starts at the initial image processing in camera?
10-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #33

okai, probably i will be ripped apart by proud k-3 owners, but... .... ... How do you actually getting more details? no irony nor sarcasmus.

Probably I just donīt have good enough lenses, so my weak point is still the lense - I have FA 55mm f1.4, fa 28mm f2.8. and some old zeiss lenses. Iīve tested them on my k-x and k-3, shot some forest and urban landscapes, some macros, and just photos - I canīt get more detailed photos.
If the smallest detail on macro, on 12MP is ca. 2-3Pixels, on the 24MP of K-3 it is 4-5 Pixels - The subject gets just bigger, and not the details smaller. There is small gain, at 10-15%.
Lansdscapes - The only thing which is really gaining is the color rendering - it get less contrast between pixels, finer lines, but no real scharpness or detail gain.
Sure you can print it twice as big, without seeng the pixels, but not gaining more details, than you shot.
So whatīs the catch?
10-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vitalii Quote
okai, probably i will be ripped apart by proud k-3 owners, but... .... ... How do you actually getting more details? no irony nor sarcasmus.
Down sample to a lower resolution image.

Steve

01-02-2015, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter

Only now noticed your uplifting post, Alex. Thanks so much for sharing.

That shot looks familiar, think I remember it from the original series, and it must look even more awesome in that print size! Why is it that whenever we have a little photo budget to spend, which in my case doesn't happen all that often, we go for another accessory, say, a premium filter or something, instead of ordering that really cool print that could adorn our walls? Do we fear it could be seen as extravagant, spending so much money on a single professionally mounted print? Our cameras certainly have it in them, and have had so at least for the last five or six years, and most of us would easily find a couple of shots on their hard drives that would warrant the exercise.

One thing I've done twice so far is turning a number of shots into A3-size wall calendars that I've given away as gifts. My son loved them as far as I can tell, and I was pretty thrilled when I inspected them.

Therefore, whenever you think your photography sucks, treat yourself or others to a large satisfying print or something similar, and your motivation is bound to rise dramatically ...

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 01-02-2015 at 10:39 AM. Reason: grammar slip
01-03-2015, 07:19 PM   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am also blown away by the quality of the K3, so much that it is one of the reasons it has become my favorite SLR since my MX and LX. I routinely make 13x19 prints from a Canon Pro-100 printer where I might have made 8.5x11 with the DSLRs of just a few years ago. The combination of the 24mp, no AA filter and the best of Pentax glass has me forgetting about full frame as well. I just bought a second K3 body, something I have not done since the MX, Usually, the last model is the backup, but once you go K3, it is hard to go back even to one of the K5 variants.
01-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #37
Pentaxian

I printed some of my ship photos at 45 * 30 cm (11,8 x 17,7 inches) size to give as presents to captains of these ships. I really liked the results. The images processed by DxO looked richer in colour and sharper, compared to the ones processed in Lightroom.
- DxO with Filmpack.
- Lightroom.
- DxO with colour rendering of Sony A7, A99 etc.
- Lightroom. On this shot the reds are muted, atleast on my monitor. On paper they looked even more "lifeless".

I also printed some photos of my friends, which were shot in dimly lit pubs. I used Sigma 18-35 wide open, to avoid bumping up the ISO. So the shots were in the range from 1600 to 2500 and one at 100. Print size was 20 x 15 CM. At that size they ended up looking perfect to my eye, especially the one at ISO 100. Images were processed in DxO and they closely matched what I saw on screen. Now that I think of it, some of them could have been made a bit lighter.

All in all I am very pleased with the results, so were the people who got the photos