Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

No USB cable with the K-3?

Just got my K-3 and I couldn't find a USB cable in the box. The packing list also doesn't mention it. Does the K-3 really come without USB cable? That seems pretty odd.

10-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope. No USB cable. No HDMI cable or SD card either.

Steve
10-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I remember right someone posted there was a new EU regulation about cables. A push to eliminate the 'throw away' cheap ones that either go into the parts box in the closet or the landfill. The idea being that cables should be standard and you own a good one, not a dozen cheap ones.

Now I'm not saying that is a good idea, or even justification for Ricoh not putting one in all the boxes world wide just because of an EU regulation. Just filling in some background.
10-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If I remember right someone posted there was a new EU regulation about cables. A push to eliminate the 'throw away' cheap ones that either go into the parts box in the closet or the landfill. The idea being that cables should be standard and you own a good one, not a dozen cheap ones.

Now I'm not saying that is a good idea, or even justification for Ricoh not putting one in all the boxes world wide just because of an EU regulation. Just filling in some background.
That makes sense and I can even support the intent. I have plenty of cables already.

This is the first camera I ever got without cable so it's a little bit of a surprise. No big deal.

10-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
That makes sense and I can even support the intent. I have plenty of cables already.
+1 My dad came to visit a few weeks ago and forgot his cell phone charger. We considered having it shipped to us or just buying him a new charger if possible. Only after two days did I think to try the 'standard' cable on my charger. Fit perfectly. Buying a new charger / cable for every phone / device is a waste of money and resources. I'm glad that at least the phones are largely standardized now. So are computer power supply cords. Imagine if you had to buy a new cord / PS for each computer? Now if they could mandate laptops all use the same cord.........
10-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

If you're wondering, it's US regulation that electronic devices have to include all cables necessary to operate the item (don't quote me on the exact language on that one). This is why Blu-ray players include a composite yellow cable even though it's totally useless, as it doesn't allow HD hookup. I don't know how this has changed now that analog outputs on Blu-ray players are forbidden, but whatever.

In this case, the USB cable isn't needed to operate the camera, so it's not included. Invest in a card reader. It's 100x times better anyway.
10-08-2014, 01:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

One day, all our devices will be powered and charged by one USB data cable.

It's already there with a lot of Sony devices. For example, the same USB cable can connect and charge my Sony phone, my NEX and my RX-100. Very handy when travelling - just bring one cable, not three different chargers.

10-08-2014, 04:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nope, K-3 doesn't come with USB cable (and officially so)

Same over here in Germany when I received my K-3 kit with the DA-L 18-55 WR end of July: no USB cable whatsoever. Nor is that item listed on Ricoh Imaging's datasheet for the K-3, nor in the manual for that matter. So it seems to be official policy.

At first, I found that kind of irritating, especially since I had given away the (original) cable I used to have with my old K-7.

But then again, it makes sense, even if I don't like it. The thing is the K-3 supports USB 3.0, which *is* a cool feature but also entails that while the cable's PC plug ("A Female", in USB speak) is downward compatible with USB 2.0, the camera's socket only accepts a 3.0 "Micro B Male" plug (cf. diagram).

Now they could have included a strong reliable USB 3.0 cable, but that would have affected their price calculation and likely have made the K-3 more expensive, or they could have put a near-worthless flimsy one in the box (like that ... er ... joke of a 3.0 cable that came with my WD My Book drive recently) and risked antagonizing people over cheapo cables that quickly fail on them. (In fairness, the one I'm talking about still works, it just doesn't look the part.)

For my K-3, I wanted to be on the safe side and picked up a strong third-party cable the same day ("Hama" brand, if it matters). Cost me about a tenner, problem solved.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 10-08-2014 at 09:59 AM. Reason: clarification, factual correction
10-08-2014, 07:21 AM   #9

USB 3.0 cables aren't that expensive.
10-08-2014, 07:38 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No USB cable and the one that came with the K-7 doesn't fit....
10-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Since my computer has a built-in card ready, it didn't bother me much that there was no USB cable provided with the K-3. Now that I've installed a USB 3.0 PCI-E card in it, I could see maybe getting one of those. I wonder if the cable for the backup HDD drive would work (it's USB 3.0)? I did buy a cheap HDMI cable for connecting my Kindle to my TV. It also works for connecting the K-3 to my TV -- in fact, I put it in my camera case as I found no reason to hook up the Kindle to the TV.
10-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sadatoni Quote
Since my computer has a built-in card ready, it didn't bother me much that there was no USB cable provided with the K-3. Now that I've installed a USB 3.0 PCI-E card in it, I could see maybe getting one of those. I wonder if the cable for the backup HDD drive would work (it's USB 3.0)? I did buy a cheap HDMI cable for connecting my Kindle to my TV. It also works for connecting the K-3 to my TV -- in fact, I put it in my camera case as I found no reason to hook up the Kindle to the TV.

The USB 3.0 cable from your external drive should work fine. Mine does.
10-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
No USB cable and the one that came with the K-7 doesn't fit....
Micro USB 2 cable can be used/fitted to the USB port on the K3 (and other devices)! You don't get USB 3 speed though!
10-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #14

I like this approach. There is already enough waste created every day.
The EU is on its way to pass a law that unifies phone chargers. The aim is to produce less of these chargers as they do the same thing anyway. The biggest hindrance is usually the plug. But this is not more than drops on a hot stone...
10-08-2014, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by delegopa Quote
I like this approach. There is already enough waste created every day. The EU is on its way to pass a law that unifies phone chargers. The aim is to produce less of these chargers as they do the same thing anyway. The biggest hindrance is usually the plug. But this is not more than drops on a hot stone...
it is a start. People's attitude must change. My grandmother saved every glass jar that came into the house, paper bags were always reused, little was thrown away. Buying something was a long term thing, they would never have thought of buying something and throwing it away in a few months. Now we have had two generations of buy and toss, that has to change. There is no reason for things not to last longer. No reason I should not buy one good phone charger and use it for 10 years.