Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some questions about K-3 settings

Hi, while I believe that most of the K-3 menu items are clear to me, there are few points (and one button) where I'm not quite sure...

C1 4. AE-L aretation with AF

C1 5. AE linked with AF

C1 6. Auto EV compensation

C2 10. WB adjustable range

What should I set, in which situation could this settings be useful?
Speaking about 4. and 5., what is the relation between these settings and the AE-L button? (which I don't really use, as I actually don't understand the function of this button very much)

Probably I have to mention that my mostly used settings are:
1) "normal" mode: AF.S, "Select" focusing area (central spot selected as default), multi-segment AE metering. Usually I focus in the center, lock focus by the AF button, then recompose and push the shutter release button.
2) "user 1" mode: AF.C, "Expanded Area AF (S) 9 points, multi-segment AE metering. C3 16. + 18 settings changed to "3".

I also set the Program line to MTF (my lenses are DA). Should I keep this setting or rather change it to different program line?

Thanks in advance for your hints...

10-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Ae-l button locks the exposure. Say you are taking a shot and you don't want to blow a white dress, you could point the camera and get the proper exposure for the dress, hit ael which will lock it for a set period of time, recompose and shoot.

One of the exposure modes is single point. Whole scene, center weighted and single point. So what point? You can set it either to be the center one, or the same point that is the focus point. In one of the focus modes you can select a single focus point from 27 points. You may want your exposure measurement to match.

If focus is locked you may want the exposure locked.

Not sure about auto ev. Or the white balance stuff.
10-10-2014, 01:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So if I get it right... is it so, that if C1 4. is enabled, I don't have to use the AE-L button, because the AE is always locked when I use the AF button? Or vice versa?
10-10-2014, 02:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Auto EV overrides your settings if the f-stop or shutter speed hits top or bottom. For instance if you use Tv-mode and set 1/6400 and the aperure then needs to be 1.4 to get correct expose but the lens is a 2.8 lens so it will, when pushing the shutter button show you, and use, a slower shutter speed.