Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter

New K-3 sometimes won't autofocus on start up.

Hello all, my new K-3 won't autofocus sometimes on start up. The workaround seems to be to flip the af - manual switch, but that seems strange. It will take pictures - just no focus. The only lens I have used so far is my DA* 16-50, which works wonderfully on my K-5.

10-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #2

It may be the 16-50 communicating with the K-3.

Question - Do you have the camera in AF-S, AF-C, or AF-A mode?

I too have a 16-50 and K-3. The lens works great on my K10, K-01, and Kx, but not on the K-3. It will not focus sometimes, or it will hunt, but never lock on, and in anything but AF-C, will not fire. My guess is either the lens is decentered to a point, or the K-3's firmware is not compatible with the version of my 16-50 (one of the first years, and never had an SMC fail issue).

I don't have an issue with any other lens. Also, it seems to be gone, or reduced in LV mode.

I have a feeling I will need to send the setup into CRIS to get everything fixed, just have tried to determine if it is something else before I call Support.....
10-10-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
Forum Member

Happened to me...

But i thought it was my imagination. But it did this a few times. I tried a different lens and that was OK and changed back to my 16-50 and it was OK. Maybe it was a contact issue and it needed cleaning by just removing the lens.

Tim
10-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Daedbird Quote
I have a feeling I will need to send the setup into CRIS to get everything fixed
CRIS no longer provides warranty service for Pentax cameras. Pentax support would be the first line of contact.

The comments regarding lens/camera communication are pertinent here. Clean the mount contacts (camera and lens) and see if it improves things.

Steve

10-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll try to clean the mount contacts. I'll also try a different lens tonight. The camera doesn't even try to autofocus - it just shoots a picture. very strange...
10-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by miltona580 Quote
The camera doesn't even try to autofocus - it just shoots a picture. very strange...
AF-S and this won't happen.

Steve
10-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #7

My new K-3 appeared to work fine when I got it two days ago but now I can't autofocus with any screwdriven lenses. It appears to work fine with my SDM lenses. I did update the firmware from 1.00 to 1.11 yesterday, and I'm not sure if that's the last time it worked with screwdriven focus or not. Any ideas?
10-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gtcal Quote
My new K-3 appeared to work fine when I got it two days ago but now I can't autofocus with any screwdriven lenses. It appears to work fine with my SDM lenses. I did update the firmware from 1.00 to 1.11 yesterday, and I'm not sure if that's the last time it worked with screwdriven focus or not. Any ideas?
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Conventional wisdom is to suggest you clean the lens mount contacts on both lens and body. If that fails, your best resource is the dealer from which you bought the camera to arrange an exchange.

Steve

10-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #9

Thanks for the advice, I tried cleaning the contacts, setting all the settings back to factory defaults, focusing in live view, af-s, af-c, different lenses. Absolutely no focus motor action, I guess I'll have to exchange it. It's unfortunate since I bought it from B&H Photo I guess I'll just have to wait until they reopen in a week or so.
10-14-2014, 06:18 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The problem seems to be with the DA* 16-50. Other lenses don't have that issue.