Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Updating Flucard Firmware Issues

I've tried to look up this issue already and I just can't seem to get it right. I followed the directions on the Pentax site and no luck. I just can't get the firmware to update on the flucard.

Here are the steps I followed:
1) Downloaded the firmware update (from Pentax)
2) Unzipped the folder
3) Connected the flucard (via card reader) to my computer and waited for the 700 beeps to finish
4) Copied the unzipped folder to the root of the card
5) Removed SD Card
6) Plugged it back in and waited some more
7) Unplugged the card and put it into camera
8) Felt disappointment that nothing updated
9) Repeat disappointment

Anything I'm missing? I don't know why I can't get it right.

10-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've never done this, but number 4 looks slightly wrong -- it is the contents of the unzipped directory you should copy (to root, or top level) not the directory structure. There is probably a .bin file there especially.

But I may be wrong.
10-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought there was a post stating the firmware update was for 645z only and k-3 owners did not need it? Or is this another update?
10-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If that's the case, then that's great! But, I think that it might be for the flucard in general. The latest update claims improved stability of performance.

That's always a good thing: Latest K-3 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

10-11-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
Unregistered User

How about unzipping the file?

Read the instructions CAREFULLY.

Latest K-3 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
10-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
I've never done this, but number 4 looks slightly wrong -- it is the contents of the unzipped directory you should copy (to root, or top level) not the directory structure. There is probably a .bin file there especially.

But I may be wrong.
Looks like you are right. I copied the files (and not the folder) to the root directory of the card and it worked. Just an FYI to anyone else that is going to update it, once it's done, it will beep forever until you remove the card. Kind of like leaving your fridge door open. It seems like this whole flucard process wasn't thought out too well. There are so many little weird things that don't make sense or could have been better. Either way, I think that for what it does, it works well.

---------- Post added 10-11-14 at 10:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
How about unzipping the file?

Read the instructions CAREFULLY.

The file was unzipped. The issue seemed to be copying the folder too. You should only copy the contents of the folder for it to work.
10-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #7
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Looks like you are right. I copied the files (and not the folder) to the root directory of the card and it worked. Just an FYI to anyone else that is going to update it, once it's done, it will beep forever until you remove the card. Kind of like leaving your fridge door open. It seems like this whole flucard process wasn't thought out too well. There are so many little weird things that don't make sense or could have been better. Either way, I think that for what it does, it works well.

---------- Post added 10-11-14 at 10:08 AM ----------

The file was unzipped. The issue seemed to be copying the folder too. You should only copy the contents of the folder for it to work.
Ok, missread. Now when you mentioning it I remember also copying the folder to the card and got nothing.

10-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It might just be me, but I've read in several threads that users had issues with the card following a firmware update. Unless you're using a 645Z you should be just fine with the firmware that came with the card.

Again, I could be wrong, but it's worth looking into.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #9
Unregistered User

The update is for both cameras:

1) Correspond to K-S1
2) Improved stability of performance.

10-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It might just be me, but I've read in several threads that users had issues with the card following a firmware update. Unless you're using a 645Z you should be just fine with the firmware that came with the card.

Again, I could be wrong, but it's worth looking into.
I tested out the flucard right after updating and I haven't had any issues yet. It actually seemed to transfer a tiny bit faster.

While I'm on here asking about the flucard. What ios apps are available for the flucard? Isn't there supposed to be an app that allows me to control the camera from my smartphone? Any other cool things I can do with the card? Thanks.
10-11-2014, 01:29 PM   #11
Unregistered User

No apps. You use the browser...
10-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #12

If you read carefully the upgrade procedure posted at Ricoh page (Latest K-3 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING) and follow the procedure exactly, you may less fail the upgrade.

---
Updating Procedure

*We recommend saving the card data before updating firmware.
*Prepare the FLUCARD that is formatted by camera.
1. Decompress the compressed file (v00010002.zip) on PC.
2. Insert FLUCARD to SD card slot of PC. (It can be used through SD card reader or SD card slot of camera).
3. Start-up sound will be beeped and wait until the beep stopped. (Approx. 20sec to 30sec)
4. Confirm the beep is stopped then copy the below folder and files (decompress at step 1.) to root directory in the FLUCARD.
    Ącode
    autorun.sh
    html
    initramfs3.gz
    Program.bin
5. Eject FLUCARD from SD card slot of PC then insert FLUCARD again. Updating will be started automatically. (It takes approx. 60sec) You will hear buzzer sound while updating.
6. When updating is completed, you will hear beep sound. Eject FLUCARD from SD card slot of PC according to Safely Remove Hardware.
7. When updating is completed normally, folder and files (copied step 4) will be deleted. Afterward contents will not deleted even formatted FLUCARD.
8. Confirm the version of card and contents are changed to 00.01.00.01(card) and 00.01.00.02(contents).
---

My tip is that you need to be patient enough to wait for step 5 completed (I would recommend 2 minutes).

Last edited by K-3-lover; 10-13-2014 at 08:32 PM.
10-14-2014, 05:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-3-lover Quote
If you read carefully the upgrade procedure posted at Ricoh page (Latest K-3 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING) and follow the procedure exactly, you may less fail the upgrade.

---
Updating Procedure

*We recommend saving the card data before updating firmware.
*Prepare the FLUCARD that is formatted by camera.
1. Decompress the compressed file (v00010002.zip) on PC.
2. Insert FLUCARD to SD card slot of PC. (It can be used through SD card reader or SD card slot of camera).
3. Start-up sound will be beeped and wait until the beep stopped. (Approx. 20sec to 30sec)
4. Confirm the beep is stopped then copy the below folder and files (decompress at step 1.) to root directory in the FLUCARD.
    Ącode
    autorun.sh
    html
    initramfs3.gz
    Program.bin
5. Eject FLUCARD from SD card slot of PC then insert FLUCARD again. Updating will be started automatically. (It takes approx. 60sec) You will hear buzzer sound while updating.
6. When updating is completed, you will hear beep sound. Eject FLUCARD from SD card slot of PC according to Safely Remove Hardware.
7. When updating is completed normally, folder and files (copied step 4) will be deleted. Afterward contents will not deleted even formatted FLUCARD.
8. Confirm the version of card and contents are changed to 00.01.00.01(card) and 00.01.00.02(contents).
---

My tip is that you need to be patient enough to wait for step 5 completed (I would recommend 2 minutes).
Where do you find the root directory?
10-14-2014, 05:57 AM   #14
Unregistered User

When you open your SD-card in your explorer you are in the root directory.