Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #16

I don't think the Nikon would have an extreme advantage with AF while shooting birds, because the bird is often detached from the background by bokeh. The only advantage could be that it could better track the bird while flying between leaves etc. but I'm not 100% sure and have to do more tests with mine.

10-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Brand issues aside, how important is shooting birds & wildlife to your photography? Is it among the most important subjects for you, or is it just going to be a side thing to something more important. I think it is critical to determine these kind of requirements prior to choosing a solution.

M
Hi Now I am mostly doing birds/wildlife,so its a priority. The DA*300 + 1.4TC is good for alot,but for some Buzzards & herons I need more reach or more MP?? Of course if I had the $$ I would get top end lenses,but have a budget of about $2-3000 to play with now.

---------- Post added 10-14-14 at 11:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hZti Quote
I don't think the Nikon would have an extreme advantage with AF while shooting birds, because the bird is often detached from the background by bokeh. The only advantage could be that it could better track the bird while flying between leaves etc. but I'm not 100% sure and have to do more tests with mine.
yes my main problem is AF-C tracking the birds not enough keepers..maybe the K3 is better at that than the K5II?
10-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Hi Now I am mostly doing birds/wildlife,so its a priority. The DA*300 + 1.4TC is good for alot,but for some Buzzards & herons I need more reach or more MP?? Of course if I had the $$ I would get top end lenses,but have a budget of about $2-3000 to play with now.

---------- Post added 10-14-14 at 11:49 PM ----------

yes my main problem is AF-C tracking the birds not enough keepers..maybe the K3 is better at that than the K5II?
There happens to be an A* 600/5.6 on evilBay at the moment...

If you don't mind manual focus.
10-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Thanks for the followup.
I'd recommend you go with a Nikon solution from here on out. Which specific camera I don't know enough about as I mostly use Canon for birds and sports, but the new 750 looks really attractive. Most serious bird and wildlife shooters go with either of these two brands eventually in their development as photographers for basic reasons of better technical capability with predictive AF and more choices of bodies and lenses at various price points. These are very real differences for this kind of shooting. Pentax is excellent for some things, but not birds and sports.

If you haven't, I'd suggest you visit the Nature Photographers Network Avian gallery, check out the highly impressive shots, and see what gear was used. Of course the photographer's skills pay a significant part, but hardware makes some things a lot easier. I'd also suggest you visit Fred Miranda Nature and Wildlife forum and the Nikon-specific forum.

I've owned the Tamron 150-600mm for a few months (I previously owned the initial buggy release in January which affected Canon, but things have been resolved for the better now) and enjoy it a lot. I use it with the cropped 7D and the 5DMK3. Though I've shot with the Bigma in the past, and the Canon 100-400mm for many years, there was still a learning curve associated with adding on that critical 200mm to hit 600mm. I certainly notice the increased reach.

The Tamron is a real bargain, but I'm curious about both Sigma versions. The issue with the Sigmas are significant weight increase over the Tamron, and to some the extra $1000 in cost. Since the Sigma lenses haven't been released yet the quality is unknown.

I'm highly skeptical of most online reviewers who don't ordinarily shoot birds or sports providing "expert" instant analysis of these kind of lenses. Most of them don't have a clue about what they are writing or talking about (on video). Watching several Internet experts not catch the very real and obvious problems with the Tamron earlier this year demonstrated this to me.

The weakness of the Tamron to me is the predictive AF is slower to acquire and lock than the Canon 100-400mm is for BIFs. I don't know how things are in NIkon land, but I've been impressed with shots from the newer Nikon 80-400mm.

The other thing to be aware of is that at least for Canon, the Tamron seems to provide better quality images on a FF camera. Clearer, sharper. Others in addition to myself seem to share this experience. Maybe the forthcoming 7DMK2 will change this perception. And maybe it is limited to Canon.

Good luck with your choosing and shooting.

M

10-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Thanks for the followup.
I'd recommend you go with a Nikon solution from here on out. Which specific camera I don't know enough about as I mostly use Canon for birds and sports, but the new 750 looks really attractive. Most serious bird and wildlife shooters go with either of these two brands eventually in their development as photographers for basic reasons of better technical capability with predictive AF and more choices of bodies and lenses at various price points. These are very real differences for this kind of shooting. Pentax is excellent for some things, but not birds and sports.

If you haven't, I'd suggest you visit the Nature Photographers Network Avian gallery, check out the highly impressive shots, and see what gear was used. Of course the photographer's skills pay a significant part, but hardware makes some things a lot easier. I'd also suggest you visit Fred Miranda Nature and Wildlife forum and the Nikon-specific forum.

I've owned the Tamron 150-600mm for a few months (I previously owned the initial buggy release in January which affected Canon, but things have been resolved for the better now) and enjoy it a lot. I use it with the cropped 7D and the 5DMK3. Though I've shot with the Bigma in the past, and the Canon 100-400mm for many years, there was still a learning curve associated with adding on that critical 200mm to hit 600mm. I certainly notice the increased reach.

The Tamron is a real bargain, but I'm curious about both Sigma versions. The issue with the Sigmas are significant weight increase over the Tamron, and to some the extra $1000 in cost. Since the Sigma lenses haven't been released yet the quality is unknown.

I'm highly skeptical of most online reviewers who don't ordinarily shoot birds or sports providing "expert" instant analysis of these kind of lenses. Most of them don't have a clue about what they are writing or talking about (on video). Watching several Internet experts not catch the very real and obvious problems with the Tamron earlier this year demonstrated this to me.

The weakness of the Tamron to me is the predictive AF is slower to acquire and lock than the Canon 100-400mm is for BIFs. I don't know how things are in NIkon land, but I've been impressed with shots from the newer Nikon 80-400mm.

The other thing to be aware of is that at least for Canon, the Tamron seems to provide better quality images on a FF camera. Clearer, sharper. Others in addition to myself seem to share this experience. Maybe the forthcoming 7DMK2 will change this perception. And maybe it is limited to Canon.

Good luck with your choosing and shooting.

M
Hi thanks for the info..yes the D750 seems interesting,but FF & crop is nicer for birds I think.Why did you return the Tamron?
Also have used Oly in the past & 2x crop was very nice(but old body & max ISO400) but now much better from what I see.
I really like Pentax but maybe must accept its limitations as far as serious birding goes..
10-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Why did you return the Tamron?
They didn't perform proper testing on the first released lenses for a few Canon bodies for a few months there (predictive AF was terrible). So many of us returned the lens during the 30-day grace period and waited it out. Eventually after some stupid denials from Tamron, they issued a firmware fix. Now things are groovy and I'm happy I purchased the lens (again).

The new Olympus 150-300mm I have read good things about, but I don't think their mirrorless bodies are up to the task of capturing BIFs or fast moving chaotic sports. I borrowed a OM-D-E-M5 to shoot parts of a soccer match and very unimpressed for that context.

I really like Pentax but maybe must accept its limitations as far as serious birding goes.
That's why I initially asked you about the priority of shooting birds regardless of any branding issues. For some people, staying with a brand is more important than getting the shot. I shot with Pentax for many years, but after my employer (I was a corporate photographer) had me shoot sports the company was sponsoring, I realized the limitations of my tools and what mattered. I gave the K-3 a trial late last year and earlier this year, but both the camera and the lack of serious lenses, just didn't meet my requirements.

M

Last edited by Miguel; 10-14-2014 at 03:57 PM.
10-14-2014, 04:58 PM   #22
Pentaxian

if I were to get into birding today, I'd likely buy the Nikon V3 + CX70-300mm. There are a lot of photographers who sing this combination's praises for birding.

Michael
10-14-2014, 06:55 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
if I were to get into birding today, I'd likely buy the Nikon V3 + CX70-300mm. There are a lot of photographers who sing this combination's praises for birding.

Michael
I have the Q & adapter to use with the DA*300,but too hard to focus, is the V3 better to focus with the electronic viewfinder?

10-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #24
Site Supporter

For birding and the OP's budget the new Canon 7D Mark II and the new Sigma 150-600 Sports might be the way to go.
10-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Since you're shooting wildlife/birding I'd recommend the Nikon d7100, the only reason being there's more choice of glass on the telephoto range (legacy or modern). Owning the Nikon you'll find its build quality, ergonomics and IQ below that of the Pentax k-3, but you get a better AF system and lots of old and new lenses to purchase at prices considerably lower than their Pentax equivalent.

Personally I've chosen to stick with Pentax for its built quality, size and ergonomics (I have the sigma 300 f2.8, Sigma 400mm f5.6 telemacro, 70-200mm f2.8 etc and I've come to terms with the fact that I've paid considerably more for these lenses if they were offered in Nikon mount.)
10-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
Since you're shooting wildlife/birding I'd recommend the Nikon d7100, the only reason being there's more choice of glass on the telephoto range (legacy or modern). Owning the Nikon you'll find its build quality, ergonomics and IQ below that of the Pentax k-3, but you get a better AF system and lots of old and new lenses to purchase at prices considerably lower than their Pentax equivalent.

Personally I've chosen to stick with Pentax for its built quality, size and ergonomics (I have the sigma 300 f2.8, Sigma 400mm f5.6 telemacro, 70-200mm f2.8 etc and I've come to terms with the fact that I've paid considerably more for these lenses if they were offered in Nikon mount.)
Where did you get the 400mm Sigma? long out of production as far as I know
I've held the 7100 not so impressed,also there is Sony A7 series but afraid a big lens will break the body!! Also thought D800/810 in crop mode,but have read that it is not so good fro some reason
10-15-2014, 05:22 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

I've held the 7100 not so impressed,also there is Sony A7 series but afraid a big lens will break the body!!
Birding mirrorless you'd have to be careful. The A7R has only got the equivalent of slow Live View focus, and IIRC only some lenses support the on-sensor phase detection of the A7 (possibly none of your glass on a K-mount adapter).
10-15-2014, 05:23 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Where did you get the 400mm Sigma? long out of production as far as I know
I've held the 7100 not so impressed,also there is Sony A7 series but afraid a big lens will break the body!! Also thought D800/810 in crop mode,but have read that it is not so good fro some reason
I agree the d7100 body and handling is somewhat of a turnoff at first, but you get used to it after a while. (just like you get used to driving a Jeep when after crashing your Audi A4)
I have been looking for a sigma 400mm f5.6 telephoto for years now ( Sigma 400mm f5.6 pentax is probably my second most used search line on eBay, second only to Pentax fa) so when it popped up on ebay from a Japanese seller I bought it in a heartbeat.
10-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I just made an very expensive switch from Pentax to Nikon and if you are going to switch for just consumer glass I dont think its worth it, but if you are going to buy Nikon high end glass it probally is because the lenses are amazing and camera bodies come and go but great glass might be a long term investment.
10-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
I just made an very expensive switch from Pentax to Nikon and if you are going to switch for just consumer glass I dont think its worth it, but if you are going to buy Nikon high end glass it probally is because the lenses are amazing and camera bodies come and go but great glass might be a long term investment.
Would you say Nikon high end glass is better than Pentax? for me the DA*300 is very good,only AF is too slow at times