Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2014, 06:54 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For my taste:
  • Tilting rear LCD.
  • Hybrid viewfinder with (for instance) focus peaking info overlaid on the optical image.
  • A few color options that are not limited runs with price premiums on them.
Personally, I think they could implement the first two, call that a K-3z, and sell it alongside the K-3 for maybe $250 more than the K-3 itself. And I'd buy such a K-3z (in silver) in maybe a heartbeat or two.

Last edited by Doundounba; 10-20-2014 at 09:02 AM. Reason: "rear" LCD not "read" LCD
10-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
For my taste:
  • Tilting read LCD.
  • Hybrid viewfinder with (for instance) focus peaking info overlaid on the optical image.
  • A few color options that are not limited runs with price premiums on them.
Personally, I think they could implement the first two, call that a K-3z, and sell it alongside the K-3 for maybe $250 more than the K-3 itself. And I'd buy such a K-3z (in silver) in maybe a heartbeat or two.
I'm curious... how would a "Hybrid viewfinder with (for instance) focus peaking info overlaid on the optical image" be implemented? I know it's possible with Sony's SLT technology (which they may abandon) but thought it to be impossible for a DSLR. Thanks.
10-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I'm curious... how would a "Hybrid viewfinder with (for instance) focus peaking info overlaid on the optical image" be implemented?
Well, I don't work for Pentax and I'm not a DSLR designer! I just know that Pentax (and others) have had hybrid viewfinder patents for a while now. I also know that EVFs can make me a bit noxious when used in lower light. I know I love focus peaking. And I know that if Pentax insists on not making any k-mount camera without an optical viewfinder (ie a K-01 successor), then I'd like to have peaking info in the viewfinder. Alternatively, I'd take a K-03 - just remove the mirror box of a K-3 and add a tilting LCD. I'd buy that too!
10-20-2014, 04:48 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I'm curious... how would a "Hybrid viewfinder with (for instance) focus peaking info overlaid on the optical image" be implemented? I know it's possible with Sony's SLT technology (which they may abandon) but thought it to be impossible for a DSLR. Thanks.
When in live view offer a view through the viewfinder.

10-20-2014, 09:07 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
but thought it to be impossible for a DSLR
Both Canon and Nikon have DSLR's with viewfinder overlays that can display various degrees of active information - eg the viewfinder in new Canon 7D II. But none aside from those SLT Sony's can overlay stuff like a live histogram or focus peaking on top of the optical display. I think that sort of overlay would make things too dark.
10-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Would like to see a lower base ISO, like 25 (or even 50). Limit the ISO range (mostly on the high end), and make the base ISO 25 (or 50) to 6400, expendable to 12.8k (or even to 25.6k), mainly because I don't see the need for Ricoh/Pentax to go higher than 12.8k (or even 25.6).
As far as I know, not that many people would crank up the ISO that high, unless they where going to do just experiment with it.
10-21-2014, 12:52 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
maybe Oct/Nov. 2015 for K-3 II
10-21-2014, 02:26 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I was thinking about the AF-module:

- so I would like some more AF points. We now have 5x5 with two outerpoints. I gues making this 6x7 with on the outersites two on echt side makes up to 46 AF points with a larger side covered. Also a little more wide then high in space. Making 42 of them crosspoints would be great.
- we now have three AF points that are sensitive to f2.8. I would like to make that a boxx in the middle of 3x2 AF points so up to 6 AF points.
- we don't have AF points that are sensitive up to f4 (all others are f5.6). But we do have some pretty good lenses like 60-250mm/f4 and 300mm/f4. So I would like to upgrade some AF points to f4 sensitivity. How many? Well maybe the box in the middle, but I prefer more then that. I think that all AF would have that future.
- some arrays to move arround with the new AF points to select and I think this is a great new AF module.

10-21-2014, 03:23 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
snip......

- Having the choice between 14-bit RAW and 12-bit RAW would be great. For sports I would choose 12-bit RAW to have a much faster camera. Files would be much smaller.
Oh I can hear the screams of lost data now....

In this case, just do what most sports shooters do any way. Shoot JPEG .... seriously. You get to a point where you are trading "the moment " for highest quality image. Let the camera shoot at maximum frame rate and nail the settings. JPEG is all you need
10-21-2014, 05:27 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
When in live view offer a view through the viewfinder.
Maybe just a question of semantics but that, to me, is a switchable viewfinder and not a hybrid. The poster I was originally responding to was postulating adding focus peaking to an optical viewfinder. I don't see how it could be done other than by Sony's method which isn't really a DSLR.
10-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Maybe just a question of semantics but that, to me, is a switchable viewfinder and not a hybrid. The poster I was originally responding to was postulating adding focus peaking to an optical viewfinder. I don't see how it could be done other than by Sony's method which isn't really a DSLR.
Well, see here, for example. That being said, I care about the k-mount more than I care about semantics and don't mind if I can't quite call my k-mount camera a "DSLR". There are some seriously cool manual focus aids that are starting to get implemented in EVFs (and not just peaking, but also, for example, Fuji's split view with magnification) that make an OVF (as currently implemented) start to seem perhaps a little quaint. I wish I could get those features, or something reasonably close, on a viewfinder-equipped k-mount camera...
10-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Oh I can hear the screams of lost data now....

In this case, just do what most sports shooters do any way. Shoot JPEG .... seriously. You get to a point where you are trading "the moment " for highest quality image. Let the camera shoot at maximum frame rate and nail the settings. JPEG is all you need
Well I sold my K-3, but for low iso in daylight that wouldn't be a problem, but for stadiumlight I don't think working with jpg would be great.
10-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I'm not a fan of dual SD card slots either. I see no point tbh.
Dual SD card slots are a crucial feature in marketing more towards professionals. For a paid professional losing data (possibly a day's work) due to a corruption of the SD card can be a moderate catastrophe.

At the same time dual slots make organising pictures easier (e.g. one for JPEG, one for RAW) and they expand the the memory without having to change the card (e.g. in bad weather).
10-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Dual SD card slots are a crucial feature in marketing more towards professionals. For a paid professional losing data (possibly a day's work) due to a corruption of the SD card can be a moderate catastrophe.

At the same time dual slots make organising pictures easier (e.g. one for JPEG, one for RAW) and they expand the the memory without having to change the card (e.g. in bad weather).
But they make the K-3 slow, since write time doubles due to writing one card after the other.
10-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
But they make the K-3 slow, since write time doubles due to writing one card after the other.
Slower. Obviously not ideal for shooting sports, but it's nice to have the choice.