10-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Size and weight of the K-7

10-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think having a better sensor -- not sure how this would happen, more like a Foveon sensor perhaps, with better color depth, dynamic range, and resolution, but figuring out how to keep decent high iso. Improved video for those who want it. Improved auto focus (this probably actually need new, non-SDM lenses, with faster motors in them)..
Pentax obviously cannot afford to develop their own sensor; Sony and Toshiba seem uninterested in developing something like the Foveon or they would have done it by now. Foveon is owned by Sigma, so the chances of them selling the chips are approximately 0%. That would just kill any market for their own camera, which is already pretty limited to begin with. Why buy the Sigma when you can have access all their lenses + another manufacturer's too?
10-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #33
Pentaxian

I forgot to add this to my previous post:

- voice memo support.

It's very handy for attaching notes to images in the field when shooting events of all sorts - sports, other rapid action events.

I was reminded of the utility of this feature by the recently posted DPR 'professionals opinion' of the Canon 7DII, where a working sports photog criticised the omission of this feature in the 7DII. She explained nicely the usefulness of this:

QuoteQuote:
Unfortunately, the EOS 7D Mark II lacks a feature that I consider very important for true sports cameras - a voice recorder that lets you speak into the camera and record an audio caption with an image. This is something we use a lot, especially in sports, to remind ourselves which plays are which. ...Being able to tag select photographs and record a quick caption on the photo makes editing so much easier..
I've asked for this before on other Pentaxes, but it's worth a try again.
10-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

I want a 16-18 MP sensor in K3 + higher flash sync speed

I guess I should not ask too much more.

When I saw K3 + GRIP go <$900, I really want it, but 24mp sensor turned it down.

10-23-2014, 10:43 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Size and weight of the K-7
With some of the colour renditions as well. I know RAW is RAW, but there still is processing and I find, at times, the rendering from the K7 more natural. I also love the focusing screen from the limited.

It does a good job already, but I'd be happy with better control over noise and some advancement in dynamic range. I have noticed it clips at times....
10-25-2014, 12:06 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

I want them to keep the 24MP since you really don't have to worry about color moire at that resolution. I would like to see a BSI sensor like the new Samsung.
Better color depth
Lower noise
Faster image processing

UHS-II support
WiFi built in with the ability to transfer RAW files. Rumor is the magnesium body causes problems with the WiFi antenna.

Faster quieter screw drive motor.
Faster AF. Maybe a dedicated processor for AF.

Electronic shutter like the X-T1 for 1/32,000 shutter speed.

Priority would be for some new glass with HD coatings and faster AF motors. I'm really hoping for a new D-FA* 77mm HD Limited lens with DC AF.
10-25-2014, 01:07 AM   #37
Pentaxian

What I would like in my next Camera (or so in K3-II):

- Articulated screen.
- Better sensor that play better in low light
- Stiching of panorama bundled in camera. If that could work with raws, even better.
- Lighter/smaller like more of K-S1 weight and size.
- Bundled flash to have a jump in guide number and to support high speed sync so it can be easily used for fill in. Make it maybe articulated so it can point to the ceilling. This would give half what a cobra is bringing (other half is light power).
- The viewfinder is a huge question to me. I really want a nice viewfinder that allow me to set exposure (with a third whell or something) when looking through the viewfinder and to have focus peaking, zoom and histogram available. If you can make both EVF + OVF that would be nice but maybe that need 2 models.
- I agree a little more spread AF point would be better. I don't know if more is really necessary.
- Improve even more AF of moving objects.
- Improve in body shake reduction so that I can use slower speed and avoid tripod. Like shoot up to 1s or 1/2s.
- Don't care pixel number if it is at least 24MP. Can keep it at this level, add more, as long as high iso perf is the same or improved.

I think if this guy managed all that, it would win all award, be #1 in sales and bring lot of new clients to Pentax ! But is it possible? I don't know. The 2 things that I think are really difficult to implement are dual view finder + more effective shake reduction. The rest even the more powerfull articulated flash, I think one can do it.

As to do all of this with smaller/lighter camera, that a little difficult maybe.

I would say then, there place for 2 cameras if not everything can be put if the same one. Like a small one with EVF and big one with OVF.
10-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
With some of the colour renditions as well. I know RAW is RAW, but there still is processing and I find, at times, the rendering from the K7 more natural. I also love the focusing screen from the limited.
You're right. I find the color of the K-3 to be somewhat bleak and cold....

10-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Could you show the rendition difference?

I'd tend to think this is just a color profile but using my FA77 I really see how it render things very differently than DA15 or DA21 for example. So why not different sensor having different rendering?
10-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adam's in depth review of the K-3 concluded the opposite in comparison to the K-5IIs.
10-26-2014, 10:44 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Adam's in depth review of the K-3 concluded the opposite in comparison to the K-5IIs.
Just to be clear, I still like the colour rendition, but for landscapes especially, it does need more work, as did the K5. Of course, the K5 was a major step up, but I found myself also wanting to keep the K-7.

We are talking about the *ideal* camera for the replacement of the K3. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.
10-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #42
Pentaxian

As it is the K-3 is already a great camera. Probably improving on the noise control and making sure that the other bugs particularly the mirror flap are fixed would be great. As for the articulating screen, it would be great. I had fun with it using the Olympus e-30.
10-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #43
Pentaxian

I think the K3 is already a pretty great camera, it's hard to think of something that really needs major improvements. There's obviously the usual things that always get better with every camera - noise control, processing speed, dynamic range, buffer etc. With the K3 I think the resolution and sharpness suitable for APS-C has been pretty much maxed out for the foreseeable future - they will now have to improve on noise etc.

Where Pentax is still lacking behind though is AF. A couple more autofocus point, slightly more spread out and better AF.C would be nice - for once, when recommending camera gear to people, after a long praise of Pentax I would not have to add "Don't take one for action or sports though." Sure, there are tons of pictures that prove that you can shoot sports with a Pentax, but it's obviously not as good as a D7100 and not even close to a 7D/7D Mk II.

Apart from that, I find it hard to come up with stuff. Maybe improve JPEG OOC, make it a bit more natural.
10-30-2014, 04:47 PM   #44
Pentaxian

An updated K-3 should bring back the option to use hardware-based shake reduction in video mode. The software solution just does not cut it.

The flash delay bug should be fixed, although I personally don't mind if it only affects automatic exposure modes.

The flash system should allow manual control of multiple off-camera flashes.

An articulating screen would be very nice.

Finally, increase the sensor size to 36mmx24mm.
10-30-2014, 05:00 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Finally, increase the sensor size to 36mmx24mm.
Nooo!

Introduce a FF, but keep the semipro APS-C bodies. People like me, who do not plan to ever upgrade to FF, still want new bodies and decent, affordable new lenses once in a while without paying the premium for a FF lens, just to use it on APS-C.